Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Woodside Girls and Boys Schools opened on Morland Road on 19 October 1891. Initially there were separate post-infant Girls and Boys Schools. In Sept 1931 or 1932 the schools were reorganised leaving just Junior Girls and Boys and with the Senior Girls and Senior Boys moving elsewhere.
On 04 September 1939 the Boys and Girls schools were evacuated. The Girls school was evacuated to Upper Beeding Council School and any girls remaining behind being placed with the boys under their Head, Mr William L. Bennetto. On the same day, 04 September 1939, the Boys were evacuated to Middle Street School, Brighton and from 13 July 1940 were re-evacuated to Stoke School, Markenfield Road, Stoke. On 26 August 1940 the children were absorbed into the local school. Separate schools were re-established on 21 August 1942 when the Head of the Girls School, Isabel Idle, returned from evacuation.
The Boys and Girls schools were amalgamated from 01 January 1960 under Miss V.A.Delves who had been Head of the Girls School since 1946.