Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Croydon Darby and Joan Club was established in April 1945, at the initiative of the Mayor of Croydon, George Lewin, and with the support of Sir Herbert Williams MP. The first President was Geoffrey Fisher, Archibishop of Canterbury. It was the second Darby and Joan Club in the country, the first being at Streatham. The club was a social centre for the elderly: membership was free to all old age pensioners, and it offered cheap meals and teas, hot baths, leisure facilities (a lounge, a billiard room, a sewing room, a library, a television room, etc), and events such as whist drives and outings. The club was initially based in Haling Cottage, 76 Brighton Road (leased from the Whitgift Foundation), which formally opened in July 1945. It subsequently moved to freehold premises at `Parkhyrst, 58 Addiscombe Road, which opened in July 1948.
The club was a Limited Company without share capital. It was largely financed by voluntary contributions, including one-off and covenanted donations; and through a range of fundraising activities.