Collection SCH28 - Coulsdon (CofE) Primary School

Identity area

Reference code

SCH28

Title

Coulsdon (CofE) Primary School

Date(s)

  • 1871 - 2005 (Creation)

Level of description

Collection

Extent and medium

To be defined

Context area

Name of creator

Coulsdon CofE Primary School (1846)

Administrative history

By 1834 there was a school held in a cottage and supported entirely by the Rector, the Reverend William Wood of St. John the Evangelist in Old Coulsdon. He applied for a grant on 25 March in that year towards it becoming a National School. In 1845, Thomas Byron III, the Lord of the Manor, gave a parcel of land being part of a garden as a site for a school for poor persons and for the residence of Schoolmaster or Schoolmistress133and for no other purpose whatever. But the Mistress, Ann Webb, continued to live in a nearby cottage, the schoolhouse being occupied by William G. Shepard, a schoolmaster who was only 18 at the time of the 1851 census.

By 1846 there was a National School of 80 mixed pupils, with a master and mistress in two rooms. The school was described as a School of Industry and the master received 1d per week per boy and 3 hours gratuitous labour each afternoon on his land in return for instruction in the morning. It was the only school in the area, meaning that some of the children had to walk for miles to get there, even as far as Hooley and Kenly.

The building and site were privately owned and remained so until October 1923 when they were conveyed to the Rector by a Canon Dickson who had acquired them from the Lord of the Manor. This was probably not the same building or site as that of 1845, an exchange of site being affected by the Lord of the Manor in 1888 and a new building then being erected thereon.

On 19 September 1939 the school transferred to the Keston School buildings and remained there 7 January 1946 with the exception of the period 3 June to the 23 August 1940, when the school was briefly based at the Purley Girls School.

Archival history

Transferred by the Head Teacher in August 2006, via Dr. Ron Cox

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Accession Number: A852

Records of Coulsdon (CE) Primary School

4 log books: 1871-1911, 1911-53, 1953-85, 1985-91

1 Register of Corpral Punishment: 1908-69

3 Volumes, Commendations: 1991-4, 1994-6, 1996-2000

Anon, In the Beginning: Coulsdon C of E School, 1845-2005 (2005)

1 Copy of the cover of the above publication

Item date: 1871-2005

Accession date: 15/08/2006

Custodial history: Transferred by the Head Teacher in August 2006, via Dr. Ron Cox

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Some of the records in our collections contain sensitive and personal data that we have a legal responsibility to control access to. In these circumstances, staff may search the collection on your behalf, having received consent or proof of death of the individual concerned.

Please contact us at archives@croydon.gov.uk for further information regarding the particular collection you wish to access.

You can make a request for information which may be in a closed record under the Freedom of Information Act, 2000 or the Environmental Information Regulations, 2004. For more information about making a request, see the Croydon Council website (www.croydon.gov.uk). Making a request does not guarantee access to the information you ask for, as there may be a valid exemption from disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act.

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Description control area

Description identifier

GB-352-sch28

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

09/06/2015

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places