Collection CC - Croydon County Court

Identity area

Reference code

CC

Title

Croydon County Court

Date(s)

  • 1847 - 1982 (Creation)

Level of description

Collection

Extent and medium

42 vols

Context area

Name of creator

Croydon County Court (1847 - 1982)

Administrative history

County Courts in their modern form were established by the County Courts Act 1846 which followed a report of 1833 by the common law commissioners on the subject of small debts. At the time small debts were dealt with a variety of courts. The new County Courts, which despite their title did not correspond to county boundaries, were presided over by a judge (with no jury) and their role was to provide a quick and cheap resolution to small debt and other civil cases. They were gradually given further responsibilities. Under the Bankruptcy etc Act 1847, jurisdiction for bankruptcy cases relating either to non-traders, or to traders owing relatively small sums, passed to County Courts. The Bankruptcy Act 1883 gave them (in all bankruptcy cases) all the powers and jurisdiction of the High Court. Until 1947, they had reponsibility for cases under the Workmens Compensation Acts.

Croydon County Court opened in 1848 and was first held at the Town Hall in the High Street. Following the demolition of the Town Hall in 1893, it shared temporary accomodation with the Police Court and the Council Chamber in a corrugated iron building on Park Street and remained there until May 1906 when its new purpose built buildings on Scarbrook Road were opened. In 1968 it moved to the Law Courts, Barclay Road and again in 1991 to the Law Courts, Altyre Road. Its area of jurisdiction initially covered the same area as the Croydon Poor Law Union; ie. Croydon, Addington, Beddington , Coulsdon, Merton, Mitcham, Morden, Sanderstead, Penge, Wallington and Woodmansterne. Chelsham, Farleigh, Tatsfield and Warlingham were added to its area in 1859. As a Bankruptcy Court, and for judicial trusts, its jurisdiction extended over a wider area, covering much of Surrey (but excluding the Kingston, Guildford and Farnham districts); and also the Bromley and Orpington district of Kent.

The modern County Court, often referred to as the Small Claims Court, today deals with civil matters, such as claims for debt repayment, including enforcing court orders and return of goods bought on credit, personal injury, breach of contract concerning goods or property, family issues such as divorce or adoption and housing disputes, including mortgage and council rent arrears and re-possession.

Archival history

Deposited by Surrey Record Office, July 1996. Formed of two deposits with SRO: the first, comprising the five items with PRO AK 1 references, was deposited in April 1988 by the Public Record Office ; the second was deposited in August 1994 by the Clerk of the Courts, Law Courts, Altyre Road, Croydon.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Accession Number: SB5

Croydon County Court Records

Collection comprises of; Plaint and Minute Books July 1851-December 1968, Bankruptcy Registers 1870-1940, Ledger 1847-1850, Administration Ledgers 1884 -1948, Liabilities (War-time Adjustment) Act 1941 Index 1944-1950, Register of Winding Up Orders 1892-1938, Register of Petitions Under Companies (Winding Up) Act 1890 1892-1982, Home and Re-issued Foreign Execution and Commitment Book 1923-1924, Taxing Officers Register (The Companies Acts 1862-1890) 1893-1913, Equity Suites and Other Proceedings Register 1946-1969, Transfers In: Index (in reused Bills of Sale Acts book) 1964-1976 and Workmens Compensation Act Register 20 December 1898-4 July 1908.

Item date: 1847-1982

Administrative history: County Courts in their modern form were established by the County Courts Act 1846. They were presided over by a judge (with no jury) and their role was to provide a quick and cheap resolution to small debt and other civil cases. They were gradually given further responsibilities. Under the Bankruptcy etc Act 1847, jurisdiction for bankruptcy cases relating either to non-traders, or to traders owing relatively small sums, passed to County Courts. The Bankruptcy Act 1883 gave them (in all bankruptcy cases) all the powers and jurisdiction of the High Court. Until 1947, they had reponsibility for cases under the Workmens Compensation Acts. Croydon County Court opened in 1848. It was held first at the Town Hall (in the High Street); from 1893 at temporary accomodation in Park Street; from 1906 at the County Court Buildings, Scarbrook Road; from 1968 at the Law Courts, Barclay Road; and from 1991 at the Law Courts, Altyre Road. Its area of jurisdiction initially covered the same area as the Croydon Poor Law Union; ie. Croydon, Addington, Beddington , Coulsdon, Merton, Mitcham, Morden, Sanderstead, Penge, Wallington and Woodmansterne. Chelsham, Farleigh, Tatsfield and Warlingham were added to its area in 1859. As a Bankruptcy Court, and for judicail trusts, its jurisdiction extended over a wider area, covering much of Surrey (but excluding the Kingston, Guildford and Farnham districts); and also the Bromley and Orpington district of Kent.

Custodial history: Deposited by Surrey Record Office, July 1996. Formed of two deposits with SRO: the first, comprising the five items with PRO AK 1 references, was deposited in April 1988 by the Public Record Office ; the second was deposited in August 1994 by the Clerk of the Courts, Law Courts, Croydon.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

The collection comprises of sixteen Plaint and Minute Books July 1851-December 1968, fourteen Bankruptcy Registers 1870-1940, and three Ledgers 1847-1948.

In addition there are nine miscellaneous items; Liabilities (War-time Adjustment) Act 1941 Index 1944-1950, Register of Winding Up Orders 1892-1938, Register of Petitions Under Companies (Winding Up) Act 1890 1892-1982, Home and Re-issued Foreign Execution and Commitment Books 1921-1924, Taxing Officers Register (The Companies Acts 1862-1890) 1893-1913, Equity Suits and Other Proceedings Register 1946-1969, Transfers In: Index (in reused Bills of Sale Acts book) 1964-1976 and Workmens Compensation Act Register 20 December 1898 - 4 July 1908.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Some of the records in our collections contain sensitive and personal data that we have a legal responsibility to control access to. In these circumstances, staff may search the collection on your behalf, having received consent or proof of death of the individual concerned.

Please contact us at archives@croydon.gov.uk for further information regarding the particular collection you wish to access.

You can make a request for information which may be in a closed record under the Freedom of Information Act, 2000 or the Environmental Information Regulations, 2004. For more information about making a request, see the Croydon Council website (www.croydon.gov.uk). Making a request does not guarantee access to the information you ask for, as there may be a valid exemption from disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act.

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

The Scarbrook Road buildings are described in Croydon and County Pictoria and Surrey Magazine 1904 - 1906, p.35 and in the Croydon Advertiser on 14 January 1938.

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Description control area

Description identifier

GB-352-cc

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

11/06/2015

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places