- 1951 - 1987 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Accession Number: A939
Records relating to Mary Neville-Kaye, OBE
1) Photograph album of Fairchildes Infants School, compiled to mark Miss Neville-Kayes retirement in 1976 (to be kept in the Fairchildes archive collection (SCH46/2/5)).
2) Booklet kept by Miss Neville-Kaye while a teacher at Overbury Primary School evacuated to Lee, near Ilfracombe in Devon, June 1940 - October 1942. Booklet contains home and billet addresses, national registration numbers, petty cash expenditure, clinic fares, useful addresses, dates of pupil leaving, school holidays and records of pupils reading and multiplication.
3) Four photographs and four postcards of pupils evacuated to Lee.
4) Handwritten Jottings from an Evacuee Teacher (5pp., n.d.)
An order of service for her funeral and some loose photographs were transferred to the Local Studies Library collections.
Item date: 1940 - 1942; 1976
Accession date: 17/01/2008
Administrative history: Mary Alicia Neville-Kaye (16 January 1911 - 17 December 2007) attended Whyteleafe County Grammar School for Girls, 1921 - 1929 (see http://www.semperfidelis.org.uk/announcements.php checked 23 Jan 2008).
Mary joined the staff of Overbury School in September 1939 and was immediately evacuated to Brighton. Following her return to Croydon, she was evacuated to Lee in Devon in June 1940. The log book (SCH1/2/1) records that she rejoined the staff on 11 January 1943.
She was later, briefly, Teacher In Charge (14 June - 30 August 1949) at Overbury before becoming Head of Purley Oaks Infants School (30 August 1949 - 23 July 1954) and then the first Head of the new Fairchildes Infants School, New Addington from 31 August 1954 until her retirement on 09 April 1976.
She was awarded an OBE in 1984 for her forty year service with the St John Ambulance Brigade (see Croydon Advertiser 22 June 1984). At the time of her death she was resident at Whitgift House, Brighton Road.
Custodial history: Donated by Pauline Everett, 17 January 2008.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Some of the records in our collections contain sensitive and personal data that we have a legal responsibility to control access to. In these circumstances, staff may search the collection on your behalf, having received consent or proof of death of the individual concerned.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information regarding the particular collection you wish to access.
You can make a request for information which may be in a closed record under the Freedom of Information Act, 2000 or the Environmental Information Regulations, 2004. For more information about making a request, see the Croydon Council website (www.croydon.gov.uk). Making a request does not guarantee access to the information you ask for, as there may be a valid exemption from disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Fairchildes Primary School (Creator)