- 1956 - 1957 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Found as part of a house clearance in property belonging to son of Donald G. Stewart. Material donated with their permission.
Ald. Donald G. Stewart was Deputy Mayor of Croydon 1950/1 and Mayor 1956/7. He was awarded the MBE in 1942 for his wartime civil defence work.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
1) Alderman Donald G. Stewart: the press cuttings of a mayorality (bound volume compiled by Croydon Public Libraries and bearing CB coat of arms)
2) Photograph album: official events 1956/7 (lined notebook, red, marked Advertiser press photos.)
3) Photograph album: various official events 1950s presented by Croydon Times.
4) Photograph album: visit to International Language Club, Addiscombe Grove, 16 Sep 1950, visit of King of Benin, Nigeria (DGS was Deputy Mayor).
5) Photograph album presented by Croydon Times to commemorate mayoral year1956/7 (includes loose photographs). Note: different to 3).
6) Scrapbook (green, bearing the County Borough coat of arms) containing cuttings etc concerning 1956/7 mayoral year.
7) Loose photograph album (rough cut pages), early 1950s. Year as Deputy Mayor (1950/1) and beyond.
8) Framed picture: Town Hall Mayors Day 28 May 1956
9) Framed photograph: Cllr Stewart in Mayoral robes.
10) Framed photograph: Mrs Stewart with Mayoral chain.
11) Framed certificate of thanks from the Council to Ald. Stewart for his services as Mayor, dated 29 April 1957.
12) Framed colour photograph of Town Hall from Town Hall Gardens (presented to the Stewarts by Ernest Taberner).
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Donald G. Stewart (Creator)