Arthur Tooth

Identity area

Type of entity

Person

Authorized form of name

Arthur Tooth

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1839 - 1931

History

Arthur Tooth (1839-1931) entered the Church of England in 1863. His religious beliefs and practices, in his parish of Hatcham, Kent, leant towards the extreme High Church: he came into conflict with the Church authorities, resulting in his imprisonment for 28 days in 1877, and the resignation of his living in 1878. He then bought Stroud Green House, Woodside, and transferred his community of nuns there from Hatcham. He intended to build a large hospital for inebriates, but only the chapel and one cloister wing were finished, and the convent in fact functioned as an orphanage. The property was sold in 1924 to Croydon Corporation, and the community moved to Otford Court, Kent where Father Tooth died in 1931. Croydon Council demolished the old Stroud Green House; laid the grounds out as a public park (Ashburton Park); and converted Father Tooths convent buildings into a public library (Ashburton Library), opened in December 1927.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Control area

Description identifier

P049

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes