Collection SCH101 - St Andrews High School

Identity area

Reference code

SCH101

Title

St Andrews High School

Date(s)

  • 1862 - 1990 (Creation)

Level of description

Collection

Extent and medium

7 boxes

Context area

Name of creator

St Andrews High School (1862)

Administrative history

A church school had been established at St Andrews Church by 1861, possibly in Southbridge Road. On 5 December 1861, the managers of the school applied for aid in building new premises. (Source: Library of the National Society). This explains why St Andrews Mixed Infants and Girls School (opening log book entry 29 December 1862) and St Andrews Post-Infant Boys School (opening log book entry 5 January 1863), in Southbridge Road, are both described as having reopened. In 1866, the latter school closed and the former was split to form St Andrews Girls School [Upper] and St Andrews Mixed Infants School [Lower].

There is a reference also in 1861 to the existence of a small, dirty, ragged school in Old Town, Croydon. On 26 August 1872, an all-age Ragged School had opened there. From 1 February 1893 to 1903, there was a separate infants department. From 1907, the school was known as St Andrews Old Town School. From August 1913, the senior pupils were sent elsewhere and the school became a combined infants and junior school.

In 1894 St Andrews Boys School [Upper] had opened in a new building.

On 31 March 1921, the schools were reorganised. Senior children from St Andrews Old Town School were transferred to St Andrews Girls School [Upper, Senior and Junior] and St Andrews Boys School [Upper, Senior and Junior]. The infants from the main school (St Andrews Mixed Infants School [Lower]), were transferred to the Old Town school, which became St Andrews Old Town Infants School.

On 27 August 1927, the boys and girls schools were amalgamated to form St Andrews Mixed School [Senior and Junior]. On 1 September 1930, the Old Town infants school was merged with the main school and the senior pupils (age 11 and above) were transferred to other schools, which resulted in the formation of St Andrews Junior Mixed and Infants School. On 8 September 1933, senior pupils were readmitted and the school became St Andrews All Age School. On 1 September 1951, the infants and juniors were sent elsewhere and the school became a Secondary Modern, and in 1971, a comprehensive. It remains a Church of England school.

Archival history

Retrospectively accessioned 30 July 2001.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Accession Number: 647

Records of St Andrews High School

Item date: 1862 - 1978

Depositor's Name: The Head Teacher, St Andrews High School

Custodial history: Retrospectively accessioned 30 July 2001.

Access conditions: Log books and punishment registers less than 50 years old are closed, and may only be consulted with the permission of the Director of Education.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Some of the records in our collections contain sensitive and personal data that we have a legal responsibility to control access to. In these circumstances, staff may search the collection on your behalf, having received consent or proof of death of the individual concerned.

Please contact us at archives@croydon.gov.uk for further information regarding the particular collection you wish to access.

You can make a request for information which may be in a closed record under the Freedom of Information Act, 2000 or the Environmental Information Regulations, 2004. For more information about making a request, see the Croydon Council website (www.croydon.gov.uk). Making a request does not guarantee access to the information you ask for, as there may be a valid exemption from disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act.

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Administrative papers, 1903 - 1924 (includes St Andrews Old Town, 1903 - 1921), CBC/3/2/35; 1924 - 1939, CBC/3/2/65. See also the notes on the school in Croydon School Archives, by Dr Ron Cox, (third report, March 200), in the Local Studies Library collection. There is a brief history of Ragged Schools in Ragged, British, Quaker, Soldier. Nineteenth Century Croydon Schools by Patricia Stone in the Local Studies Library, reference S70 (370) STO.

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Description control area

Description identifier

GB-352-sch101

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

09/06/2015

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places