Collection SCH103 - St Giles (Physicaly Handicapped) School

Identity area

Reference code

SCH103

Title

St Giles (Physicaly Handicapped) School

Date(s)

  • 1960 - 1976 (Creation)

Level of description

Collection

Extent and medium

16 items

Context area

Name of creator

St Giles School (1925)

Administrative history

The school was opened in January 1925 at Winterbourne Roas as a school for Physically Defective Children. About 1928 the school took the name St Giles and on 09 January 1933 was transferred to Featherbed Lane in Addington where an extension for delicate children was opened on 18 Oct 1937.

During WWII the children were evacuated and the building housed New Addington Senior School.

Although a new block was opened in 1952, the rest of the buildings became very dilapidated, was condemned by the Inspectorate and was replaced by new purpose built premises in Pampisford Road in 1977 where it remains open as St Giles Special School, a school for children with physical disabilities from the age of 3 -16. Its catchment area extends beyond the London Borough of Croydon to include neighbouring London Boroughs. The Featherbed Lane buildings are now occupied by the Jehovahs Witnesses.

Archival history

Donor was Deputy Head at St Giles until retirement in 1985. The records were retained by him following his retirement. The main collection of school records remain at the School.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Accession Number: A966

Records of St Giles (Physically Handicapped) School

1) Large Photograph album showing school groups and activities, c.1960 - 1976.

2) Four school journey booklets: 1961, 1965, 1967, 1969.

3) Eleven reels of 8mm film showing school life and activities, 1960 - 1976

Item date: 1960 - 1976

Accession date: 22/04/2009

Administrative history: The school opened in 1925 at Winterbourne Road and was based at Featherbed Lane between 1933 and 1977 when it moved to purpose built premises in Pampisford Road where it remains open as St Giles Special School.

Custodial history: Donor was Deputy Head at St Giles until retirement in 1985. The records were retained by him following his retirement.

Acquisition terms: Donated. Records belong to the CYPL Department.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

1) Large Photograph album showing school groups and activities, c.1960 - 1976.

2) Four school journey booklets: 1961, 1965, 1967, 1969.

3) Eleven reels of 8mm film showing school life and activities, 1960 - 1976

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

These records were retained by a former member of staff; the main collection of school records remains with the school.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Some of the records in our collections contain sensitive and personal data that we have a legal responsibility to control access to. In these circumstances, staff may search the collection on your behalf, having received consent or proof of death of the individual concerned.

Please contact us at archives@croydon.gov.uk for further information regarding the particular collection you wish to access.

You can make a request for information which may be in a closed record under the Freedom of Information Act, 2000 or the Environmental Information Regulations, 2004. For more information about making a request, see the Croydon Council website (www.croydon.gov.uk). Making a request does not guarantee access to the information you ask for, as there may be a valid exemption from disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act.

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Administrative papers relating to the years 1911 - 1924, 1923 - 1929 and 1930 - 1934 are held at CBC/3/2/32, CBC/3/2/67 and CBC/3/2/68 respectively.

The history of the school to 1977 is detailed in St Giles Open-Air School, Croydon by Grace M Rose in Proceedings of the Croydon Natural History and Scientific Society, Vol.18, pt. 8, August 2004 pp.247- 243.

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Description control area

Description identifier

GB-352-sch103

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

09/06/2015

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places