Collection AR19 - Woodford Old Girls Association

Identity area

Reference code

AR19

Title

Woodford Old Girls Association

Date(s)

  • 1902-1969 (Creation)

Level of description

Collection

Extent and medium

1 box

Context area

Name of creator

Woodford Old Girls Association (1902-1969)

Administrative history

Woodford School was a superior private day-school for girls. A few boarders were also taken. Boys were taught in the preparatory classes. The school originated in 1867, established by Miss Annie Waters, who was joined shortly afterwards by her sister, Jennie Waters. It was originally located in the family home at 9 George Street, Croydon; but in 1878 the family and school moved into a new house at 8 Dingwall Road. This was named Woodford House after the village of Woodford, Wilts, where the family originated. The school subsequently expanded into the two neighbouring houses, 7 and 9 Dingwall Road. The Misses Waters retired in 1900, and Miss AHB Walford became headmistress; she was succeeded in 1927 by Miss Mary Horsley, an old girl of the school, who had taught there since 1919. The name. changed in 1916 from Woodford House School to Woodford School. The school went into decline during World War 2, and closed in 1945, after the death of Mary Horsley.

The Old Girls Association (WOGA) seems to have been established before 1902. It went into abeyance during World War 2; and was wound up after the death of Miss Horsley, and the closure of the school, in 1945. It was revived in 1951 by Phyllis Fretwell (nee Densham) and Valerie Williams, who became joint secretaries. It established a strong association with Mary Horsleys sisters, Misses Margaret and Gwendolen (Dee) Horsley: Margaret, who had been Secretary of the school, was elected President of WOGA. The Association survived until 1984.

Archival history

Found at 13 Woodhurst Lane, Oxted, house formerly occupied by Valerie Williams, joint Hon Secretary of the Woodford Old Girls Association

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Accession Number: A19

Woodford Old Girls Association Records

Include photographs and mementoes of Woodford School

Item date: 1902-1969

Depositor's Name: Elsey, Trevor

Accession date: May 1991

Custodial history: Found at 13 Woodhurst Lane, Oxted, house formerly occupied by Valerie Williams, joint Hon Secretary of the Woodford Old Girls Association

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Records of the Woodford (House) Old Girls Association; and photographs and mementoes of Woodford School.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Some of the records in our collections contain sensitive and personal data that we have a legal responsibility to control access to. In these circumstances, staff may search the collection on your behalf, having received consent or proof of death of the individual concerned.

Please contact us at archives@croydon.gov.uk for further information regarding the particular collection you wish to access.

You can make a request for information which may be in a closed record under the Freedom of Information Act, 2000 or the Environmental Information Regulations, 2004. For more information about making a request, see the Croydon Council website (www.croydon.gov.uk). Making a request does not guarantee access to the information you ask for, as there may be a valid exemption from disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act.

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Surviving records of Woodford School are held at AR51.

Further records of the Woodford Old Girls Association are held in the records of Eleanor Macdonald at AR133/1.

A report book of Margot Sanders, a former pupil is held at AR50.

A scrap book relating to Woodford School is held at AR125

A run of copies of The Woodfordian, the old girls and school magazine, (1902-1945; 1963; 1969), received with this material, has been transferred to the Local Studies Library collections.

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Description control area

Description identifier

GB-352-ar19

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

24/06/2015

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places