At the time he wrote his history of Sanderstead, William C. Dendy was residing at Briarwood, Edgar Road, Sanderstead.
At the time he wrote his history of Sanderstead, William C. Dendy was residing at Briarwood, Edgar Road, Sanderstead.
Dr Sidney Joseph Madge D.Sc.,F.S.A., a local historian and Purley resident began work on the history of the district in 1890. He was Assistant Keeper of the books at the British Museum for many years and was also a co-opted member of Coulsdon and Purley UDC Library Committee 1944 - 48. In October 1952 he was presented with an illuminated address at the meeting of Coulsdon and Purley Council on Monday, as a token of the councils thanks for the long and fine work done by him in connection with the historical records of the district which he has given to the library. Dr Madge , in return, presented the chairman, Coun. A G V Page with an early history of the Manor of Coulsdon from Cuthred to the Crusades [SJM/2, Coulsdon and Purley Advertiser 31 October 1952 p.1 col.2]
At the time of his death on 3rd February 1961 he lived at 23 Russell Hill Road, Purley. There is a short obituary to be found in the Coulsdon and Purley Council minutes for 1960 - 61 vol. XLV1 p.959 which is held in the Local Studies Library.
Dr Francis J.G. Keen was born in 1955 in Camberwell, London, and has lived in Croydon since the age of three.
He attended St. Marks Church of England Primary School (South Norwood), St. Anthonys Roman Catholic Junior School (Anerley), Bishop Thomas Grant Roman Catholic Secondary School (Streatham) where he was Sacristan, Librarian and Head Boy. He has studied at the Universities of Southampton (Theology), Toulouse (France) (English Literature) and Canterbury (English for Secondary School Teaching). His main area of research has been in the religious poetry of suffering in English poets.
His professional life has included working as an Auxiliary Male Nurse at Mayday Hospital, Croydon. He has worked for British Telecoms International as a Satellite Non-Switched Digital Transit Level 1 Manager as well as working as a Lecturer at the Social Sciences, University of Toulouse. He lectured in English for Special Purposes in Law, Economics, Political Sciences, Social and Economic Administration, University of the Third Age and Womens University Studies. He was a translator and interpreter in French and English. He was awarded Toulouse Universitys medal for service in 1989. He obtained three straight firsts at Toulouse University (Literature Faculty) and qualified as a teacher in the UK in 1992. He taught English, Drama and French at Selsdon High School from 1990 to 1999 where he was also a Head of Year. For the first two years at Selsdon, he was training as a Licenced Teacher on a point 5 release and week-end programme in association with the Education Faculty of Christ Church College, Canterbury University. He was the Local Chairman of the Professional Association of Teachers (Croydon Branch) and has stayed a member of this organisation. He was a Governor at Redgates Special School from 1983 to 1987. He presently works as an a part-time administrator for the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Southwark and is the main carer for his disabled son, Sebastian.
He married Anne-Marie, a French citizen, in 1978. His hobbies include cooking, plane spotting and, inevitably, reading - especially biographies. He is a sci-fi fan and enjoys collecting action and sci-fi videos. In 1983 he became the Chair of the Friends and Trustees of Orchard Hill College of Further Education for People with Profound, Severe, Multiple and Complex Learning Difficulties which his son currently attends.
Leslie Robinson (d.o.b. 7 May 1922) attended Selburst Grammar School for boys from Sep 1933 until Jul 1938; his admisson, as pupil no. 2854 is recorded in admission register SCH119/2/9. He passed his general school certificate and on leaving school became a Clerk with the Sea Insurance Company Ltd.
Alfred Wallace lived at Waldron Edge, Duppas Hill Lane, 1878 - 1881 and was connected with the CNHSS during this time.
Certificates for shorthand qualifications issued to William Harry Hwakins ( born 1883)
Alexander Sandison was born in April 1854 in Cullivoe, Yell, Shetland, the eldest of a family of ten. As the third in a series of eldest sons named Alexander, he was known within the family as Looie.
He was educated at the Queen Street Institution, Edinburgh, and later at Cheshunt College, Herts; and was ordained as a Congregational minister in 1880. He immediately took up the prestigious position of Pastor of the Kings Weigh House Church, in Fish Street Hill, City of London. The Church building was compulsorily purchased for railway development in 1883: Rev Alexander was then responsible for finding a new site at Duke Street, Grosvenor Square, and for overseeing the building of a new Weigh House, which finally opened in 1891. In 1901, feeling a sense of personal failure, he resigned his pastorate of the Weigh House. He then returned for a time to Shetland. In 1904, he moved to Croydon, to become Minister of South Croydon Congregational Church, Aberdeen Road. He lived at 29 St Peters Road, South Croydon.
He retired from his ministry in June 1919, and the family moved in October to 'Lynnbank', 21 South Park Hill Road. He died on 15 November 1921.
Dr [later Professor] RG Newton
The survey of rookeries and winter rook roosts in the area of the CNHSS Regional Survey was undertaken in 1945 by Dr [later Professor] RG Newton, as a contribution to the Rook Investigation, a project carried out under the direction of James Fisher (d 1970) for the Agricultural Research Council. The results were published as RG Newton, 'Rook Survey Work' by the Ornithological Section, Proceedings of the CNHSS, vol 11 (1948), pp309-314. An introductory paper by RG Newton and James Fisher, 'The Reasons for the Survey of Winter Roosts used by Rooks', explaining some of the methodology used, is published in the same place, pp303-308.
Frederick Foss was a solicitor, who was active in the movement for the incorporation of Croydon as a Borough. When the campaign finally succeeded in 1883, he became the Charter Town Clerk: that is, he briefly acted as Town Clerk until the formal election to the post of CM Elborough. In 1886, he was elected to the Council, and he served as Mayor 1892-1893. In July 1893 he was elected Alderman; and later that year he was made a permanent Justice of the Peace. In 1895 Elborough fell ill and eventually died, and Foss again acted as Town Clerk for five months. The present album was given to him in recognition of this work at a Council meeting on 21 Sept 1896 (Croydon Advertiser, 26 Sept 1896). In 1902 he again acted as Town Clerk; and he was given the Freedom of the Borough in 1907.
Thomas Weller (c1810-1867) practised as a watch and clock maker, silversmith and jeweller, at 2 High Street, Croydon. He also carried out small-scale printing (mainly of stationery). He took over the business from his father, also Thomas Weller, who was active from at least 1810, and died c1833. They were presumably related to Richard Weller (c1762-1833), of Butchers Row, another watch and clock maker.
Abraham B. Jayne was a 'jobmaster', supplying carriages, horses and drivers for hire. His business was apparently established in 1864, although it is not clear where (he does not appear in the 1869 street directory covering Upper Norwood). By 1874, however, he was established in the Holly Bush Stables in Westow Street (at the back of the Holly Bush Hotel in Westow Hill). In about 1879, Jayne moved to the yards behind the White Hart and The Alma, important inns on opposite sides of Church Road. The business may afterwards have been reduced, as he appears in directories of 1882-1886 simply as a Fly Proprietor. He seems to have ceased trading in about 1886, and does not appear in directories after that date.
John Whitgift was Archbishop of Canterbury from 1583 until his death in 1604.
Thomas Bainbridge, active 1778-1818, was a well-known land surveyor and cartographer of estate and enclosure maps. He was based in London in Grays Inn, but worked in all parts of the country.
Ernest W Wimble (1887-1979) served at various times as Hon. Secretary of South Norwood Labour Representative Committee, Editor of The Highway (journal of the Workers Educational Association), Financial Secretary of the WEA, and General Secretary of the Workers Travel Association. He stood for election to Croydon Corporation as Labour candidate in West Ward in 1920, and in Woodside Ward in 1922 and 1923: on the last occasion he was successful. His main later work was for the Workers Travel Association (a tourist organisation), and he travelled through much of Europe and Russia on its behalf. He was eventually awarded the CBE and made a Chevalier de lOrdre Leopold II of Belgium, for his work on international travel.
Henry Grantham was employed as a Gamekeeper on the Ballards Estate, owned by Charles Hermann Goschen. He was born in 1861 in Ewhurst, Surrey
Jack Jones took up his appointment as Headmaster of Davidson School on 4 September 1956. He studied at Southampton University and began his teaching career in 1929 at Rectory Manor School Waddon . He went on to teach at Kingsley, John Ruskin, Stanley Technical College and Heath Clark where he was Geography master until he took up his final appointment at Davidson School. After a teaching career spent entirely in Croydon he retired from teaching on 31 August 1972. In August 1950 he visited Poland and the collection includes material from the visit. Throughout his career he was a very active member of the NUT, serving thirty years as secretary of the Croydon Teachers Association until 1968. During which time he was re-elected to the executive of the NUT in the extra-metroplitan area 1963. In 1970 he went on to be elected National Vice President and later won the Presidential elections in 1971. He died in September 1995.
Mrs Roper seems to have been born around the 1830s, perhaps in North Walsham, Norfolk. [Both surmised from AR82/2, where she claims to have joined Gurneys Bank at North Walsham in c1859.] She was married to Captain Alfred Roper, who appears to have died in about 1886. She and her husband lived for a time in China. They moved to Brigstock Road in about 1884, and Mrs Roper remained in the house until about 1913.
The visit to Arnhem was organised under the auspices of the Anglo Netherlands Sports Partnership. As well as the Mayor and Mayoress (Ald. and Mrs H.Regan, (who broke her wrist during the trip)), the party consisted of Ald and Mrs Lewin, Councillor Turner and other members of the Committee plus 17 table tennis players under Mrs C.A.Bourne and a football team managed Mr Mr S.A.Browne and captained by Fred Stevenson. Croydon played three football matches, winning the second and losing the first and third.
As well as various visits, including the Airborne Cemetery at Oosterbeck and the Arnhem Bridge, the Croydon party marched in procession through the streets of Wageningen on Easter Sunday. A report of the visit appears in the Croydon Times, 19 April 1947. L.Woolnough, of the Norbury team, was a member of the football team. (CT 12 April 1947) and was then resident at 28 Weybridge Avenue, Thornton Heath.
Records are presumed to be a study aid; Mr Wright worked for Croydon County Borough.
The proposal to establish a Unitarian place of worship in Croydon was first made at a meeting of six gentlemen held on 20 May 1870 at the house of Maurice Grant. As a result, a congregation was formed under the title of Croydon Free Christian Church: the word Unitarian was deliberately avoided in order to avoid any suggestion of doctrinal allegiance. RR Suffield was appointed as Minister, and gave his first address on 2 October: he continued to serve until his resignation through ill health in 1877. The government of the church was placed in the hands of a General Purposes Committee, soon known simply as the Committee. Other committees included a Trust Deed Committee, a Finance Committee, and a Music Committee.
The congregation bought the Iron Church (formerly a Baptist Church) in Wellesley Road. It was opened as the Free Christian Church on 11 December 1870. The freehold of the land was bought in 1875. Subsequently, a new, permanent, church was built on the same site: the memorial stone was laid on 20 April 1883, and it was formerly opened on 17 November 1883. The Iron Church had been moved to the rear of the new building: it was renamed the Social Room, and was put to regular use for soirees, dances, childrens parties, etc.
The Church attracted a relatively small, educated, middle class congregation, and its early ministers included several capable intellectuals. However, relations between minister and congregation were sometimes turbulent. EM Geldart, after some years as a popular minister, antagonised many of his congregation when he began to preach a doctrine of Social Democracy: the strain affected his health, and he died in mysterious circumstances soon afterwards. His successor, CJ Street, resigned over differences of opinion with the congregation; WM Weston was criticised for some of his views (notably an address advocating the abolition of the traditional home), and resigned to rejoin the Roman Catholic Church; and WW Chynoweth Pope was asked to resign following a difficult period of declining attendances. Only after the appointment of GC Sharpe in 1921 did relations become more consistently harmonious.
Among the prominent early members of the congregation were Henry Moore and his family. In 1906 his son, H Keatley Moore, paid an official visit during his term of office as Mayor
The Church was badly damaged during World War 2; and, as a result, a new Church and hall were built in Friends Road in 1958. In 1960 the Church was renamed the Unitarian and Free Christian Church.
Maria Mee Cooper (b c1819) was the second wife of George Cooper (c1812-1880), surgeon, of 4 George Street, Croydon. Alfred ('Fred') (c1852-1875) was the eldest of their four children (although George had at least two older children, George and Henrietta, by his first wife).
Ledgers of John Hook, Undertaker and Monumental Mason, of 28 Selhurst Road, South Norwood SE25.
Margot Sanders (c1923-c1959) was the second daughter of Mr and Mrs LW Sanders (?of 68 Grosvenor Avenue, Carshalton Beeches). She left Woodford School in late 1939, and went to work for the Legal and General Assurance Co. By 1944 she was serving in the WRNS. After the war she married Edward Gasior (a Polish soldier stationed at Norton Camp), and they emigrated to Canada in about 1948: they had two children, Simon and Anna. Margot died in Canada in c1959. . Her parents retired to Taunton in 1946, but her father later returned to live with his elder daughter in Carshalton. (Sources: The Woodfordian; and a note on the end flyleaf of the report book).
Woodford School was a private girls school in Dingwall Road. It was founded in 1867, and closed in 1945.
The Womens Voluntary Service (W.V.S.) was initiated in June 1938 by the Dowager Marchioness of Reading. Its aim was to mobilise and make use of as many of the countries women as possible. In April 1942 the Housewives service was established to take over the outdoor air raid work of the W.V.S. Its main responsibilities were to tend for the injured and distressed, to help with clean up operations and to ensure those who needed to were rehoused. The W.V.S. continued after the war and in 1952 after her accession to the throne, Queen Elizabeth II became its new Patron. In 1966 it was decided that the word Royal should be granted to the service thus the Womens Voluntary Service became the Womens Royal Voluntary Service (W.R.V.S.) The service still continues today and is responsible for such services as Meals on Wheels, Child Contact Centres, hospital and prison visits and national disaster assistance.
The wife of Dr. Alexander Sandison, Mrs Evelyn May Sandison was the (W.V.S.) Deputy Housewives Organiser for the County Borough of Croydon.
The Housewives Service in Croydon was established to reinforce the work of the local Wardens and Casualty Service by tending to the injured and distressed, running Incident Inquiry Points to help people find missing relatives and to assess the extent of damage to buildings. They also helped to clear rubble from incident sites and to find new homes for those in need. The Housewives Service were often the first to arrive at a crash site as they lived locally and therefore were seen as an invaluable service especially as many members ran Aid Houses from their own homes where medical supplies were kept in case of emergency.