At the time he wrote his history of Sanderstead, William C. Dendy was residing at Briarwood, Edgar Road, Sanderstead.
At the time he wrote his history of Sanderstead, William C. Dendy was residing at Briarwood, Edgar Road, Sanderstead.
Dr Francis J.G. Keen was born in 1955 in Camberwell, London, and has lived in Croydon since the age of three.
He attended St. Marks Church of England Primary School (South Norwood), St. Anthonys Roman Catholic Junior School (Anerley), Bishop Thomas Grant Roman Catholic Secondary School (Streatham) where he was Sacristan, Librarian and Head Boy. He has studied at the Universities of Southampton (Theology), Toulouse (France) (English Literature) and Canterbury (English for Secondary School Teaching). His main area of research has been in the religious poetry of suffering in English poets.
His professional life has included working as an Auxiliary Male Nurse at Mayday Hospital, Croydon. He has worked for British Telecoms International as a Satellite Non-Switched Digital Transit Level 1 Manager as well as working as a Lecturer at the Social Sciences, University of Toulouse. He lectured in English for Special Purposes in Law, Economics, Political Sciences, Social and Economic Administration, University of the Third Age and Womens University Studies. He was a translator and interpreter in French and English. He was awarded Toulouse Universitys medal for service in 1989. He obtained three straight firsts at Toulouse University (Literature Faculty) and qualified as a teacher in the UK in 1992. He taught English, Drama and French at Selsdon High School from 1990 to 1999 where he was also a Head of Year. For the first two years at Selsdon, he was training as a Licenced Teacher on a point 5 release and week-end programme in association with the Education Faculty of Christ Church College, Canterbury University. He was the Local Chairman of the Professional Association of Teachers (Croydon Branch) and has stayed a member of this organisation. He was a Governor at Redgates Special School from 1983 to 1987. He presently works as an a part-time administrator for the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Southwark and is the main carer for his disabled son, Sebastian.
He married Anne-Marie, a French citizen, in 1978. His hobbies include cooking, plane spotting and, inevitably, reading - especially biographies. He is a sci-fi fan and enjoys collecting action and sci-fi videos. In 1983 he became the Chair of the Friends and Trustees of Orchard Hill College of Further Education for People with Profound, Severe, Multiple and Complex Learning Difficulties which his son currently attends.
Leslie Robinson (d.o.b. 7 May 1922) attended Selburst Grammar School for boys from Sep 1933 until Jul 1938; his admisson, as pupil no. 2854 is recorded in admission register SCH119/2/9. He passed his general school certificate and on leaving school became a Clerk with the Sea Insurance Company Ltd.
Alfred Wallace lived at Waldron Edge, Duppas Hill Lane, 1878 - 1881 and was connected with the CNHSS during this time.
Certificates for shorthand qualifications issued to William Harry Hwakins ( born 1883)
Thomas Weller (c1810-1867) practised as a watch and clock maker, silversmith and jeweller, at 2 High Street, Croydon. He also carried out small-scale printing (mainly of stationery). He took over the business from his father, also Thomas Weller, who was active from at least 1810, and died c1833. They were presumably related to Richard Weller (c1762-1833), of Butchers Row, another watch and clock maker.
Ernest W Wimble (1887-1979) served at various times as Hon. Secretary of South Norwood Labour Representative Committee, Editor of The Highway (journal of the Workers Educational Association), Financial Secretary of the WEA, and General Secretary of the Workers Travel Association. He stood for election to Croydon Corporation as Labour candidate in West Ward in 1920, and in Woodside Ward in 1922 and 1923: on the last occasion he was successful. His main later work was for the Workers Travel Association (a tourist organisation), and he travelled through much of Europe and Russia on its behalf. He was eventually awarded the CBE and made a Chevalier de lOrdre Leopold II of Belgium, for his work on international travel.
Jack Jones took up his appointment as Headmaster of Davidson School on 4 September 1956. He studied at Southampton University and began his teaching career in 1929 at Rectory Manor School Waddon . He went on to teach at Kingsley, John Ruskin, Stanley Technical College and Heath Clark where he was Geography master until he took up his final appointment at Davidson School. After a teaching career spent entirely in Croydon he retired from teaching on 31 August 1972. In August 1950 he visited Poland and the collection includes material from the visit. Throughout his career he was a very active member of the NUT, serving thirty years as secretary of the Croydon Teachers Association until 1968. During which time he was re-elected to the executive of the NUT in the extra-metroplitan area 1963. In 1970 he went on to be elected National Vice President and later won the Presidential elections in 1971. He died in September 1995.
Mrs Roper seems to have been born around the 1830s, perhaps in North Walsham, Norfolk. [Both surmised from AR82/2, where she claims to have joined Gurneys Bank at North Walsham in c1859.] She was married to Captain Alfred Roper, who appears to have died in about 1886. She and her husband lived for a time in China. They moved to Brigstock Road in about 1884, and Mrs Roper remained in the house until about 1913.
The visit to Arnhem was organised under the auspices of the Anglo Netherlands Sports Partnership. As well as the Mayor and Mayoress (Ald. and Mrs H.Regan, (who broke her wrist during the trip)), the party consisted of Ald and Mrs Lewin, Councillor Turner and other members of the Committee plus 17 table tennis players under Mrs C.A.Bourne and a football team managed Mr Mr S.A.Browne and captained by Fred Stevenson. Croydon played three football matches, winning the second and losing the first and third.
As well as various visits, including the Airborne Cemetery at Oosterbeck and the Arnhem Bridge, the Croydon party marched in procession through the streets of Wageningen on Easter Sunday. A report of the visit appears in the Croydon Times, 19 April 1947. L.Woolnough, of the Norbury team, was a member of the football team. (CT 12 April 1947) and was then resident at 28 Weybridge Avenue, Thornton Heath.
Records are presumed to be a study aid; Mr Wright worked for Croydon County Borough.
The proposal to establish a Unitarian place of worship in Croydon was first made at a meeting of six gentlemen held on 20 May 1870 at the house of Maurice Grant. As a result, a congregation was formed under the title of Croydon Free Christian Church: the word Unitarian was deliberately avoided in order to avoid any suggestion of doctrinal allegiance. RR Suffield was appointed as Minister, and gave his first address on 2 October: he continued to serve until his resignation through ill health in 1877. The government of the church was placed in the hands of a General Purposes Committee, soon known simply as the Committee. Other committees included a Trust Deed Committee, a Finance Committee, and a Music Committee.
The congregation bought the Iron Church (formerly a Baptist Church) in Wellesley Road. It was opened as the Free Christian Church on 11 December 1870. The freehold of the land was bought in 1875. Subsequently, a new, permanent, church was built on the same site: the memorial stone was laid on 20 April 1883, and it was formerly opened on 17 November 1883. The Iron Church had been moved to the rear of the new building: it was renamed the Social Room, and was put to regular use for soirees, dances, childrens parties, etc.
The Church attracted a relatively small, educated, middle class congregation, and its early ministers included several capable intellectuals. However, relations between minister and congregation were sometimes turbulent. EM Geldart, after some years as a popular minister, antagonised many of his congregation when he began to preach a doctrine of Social Democracy: the strain affected his health, and he died in mysterious circumstances soon afterwards. His successor, CJ Street, resigned over differences of opinion with the congregation; WM Weston was criticised for some of his views (notably an address advocating the abolition of the traditional home), and resigned to rejoin the Roman Catholic Church; and WW Chynoweth Pope was asked to resign following a difficult period of declining attendances. Only after the appointment of GC Sharpe in 1921 did relations become more consistently harmonious.
Among the prominent early members of the congregation were Henry Moore and his family. In 1906 his son, H Keatley Moore, paid an official visit during his term of office as Mayor
The Church was badly damaged during World War 2; and, as a result, a new Church and hall were built in Friends Road in 1958. In 1960 the Church was renamed the Unitarian and Free Christian Church.
Ledgers of John Hook, Undertaker and Monumental Mason, of 28 Selhurst Road, South Norwood SE25.
Margot Sanders (c1923-c1959) was the second daughter of Mr and Mrs LW Sanders (?of 68 Grosvenor Avenue, Carshalton Beeches). She left Woodford School in late 1939, and went to work for the Legal and General Assurance Co. By 1944 she was serving in the WRNS. After the war she married Edward Gasior (a Polish soldier stationed at Norton Camp), and they emigrated to Canada in about 1948: they had two children, Simon and Anna. Margot died in Canada in c1959. . Her parents retired to Taunton in 1946, but her father later returned to live with his elder daughter in Carshalton. (Sources: The Woodfordian; and a note on the end flyleaf of the report book).
Woodford School was a private girls school in Dingwall Road. It was founded in 1867, and closed in 1945.
The Womens Voluntary Service (W.V.S.) was initiated in June 1938 by the Dowager Marchioness of Reading. Its aim was to mobilise and make use of as many of the countries women as possible. In April 1942 the Housewives service was established to take over the outdoor air raid work of the W.V.S. Its main responsibilities were to tend for the injured and distressed, to help with clean up operations and to ensure those who needed to were rehoused. The W.V.S. continued after the war and in 1952 after her accession to the throne, Queen Elizabeth II became its new Patron. In 1966 it was decided that the word Royal should be granted to the service thus the Womens Voluntary Service became the Womens Royal Voluntary Service (W.R.V.S.) The service still continues today and is responsible for such services as Meals on Wheels, Child Contact Centres, hospital and prison visits and national disaster assistance.
The wife of Dr. Alexander Sandison, Mrs Evelyn May Sandison was the (W.V.S.) Deputy Housewives Organiser for the County Borough of Croydon.
The Housewives Service in Croydon was established to reinforce the work of the local Wardens and Casualty Service by tending to the injured and distressed, running Incident Inquiry Points to help people find missing relatives and to assess the extent of damage to buildings. They also helped to clear rubble from incident sites and to find new homes for those in need. The Housewives Service were often the first to arrive at a crash site as they lived locally and therefore were seen as an invaluable service especially as many members ran Aid Houses from their own homes where medical supplies were kept in case of emergency.
Mr J W Jones (1897-1968) of Nottinghamshire was a professional footballer with Notts County, Brighton and Hove, Crystal Palace and Macclesfield.
Jean Baptiste Say (1767-1832) became eminent in France as a political economist, in the tradition of Adam Smith. He spent part of his youth in England, and was sent again by the French government in 1814 to study the economics of England.
Elsie Susan Turrell trained as a midwife at St Marys Maternity Hospital, Croydon, and gained her State Certificate of midwifery (no. 71300) on 26 May 1927, before going into full-time practice. In June 1937 (under arrangements introduced by the Midwives Act, 1936) the County Borough of Croydon appointed her a Municipal Midwife; and then, in April 1938, a Deputy Superintendent Midwife. She was based at the Municipal Clinic in Lodge Road. In 1950, she married Dr John Black, and gave up full-time work. However, she remained on the Midwives Roll, and continued to practice on an occasional basis, initially based at Nelson Hospital, Merton; and later at Beechfield Nursing Home, Bramley Hill, Croydon.
William Page was born on 24 December 1810, the son of Maurice Page, a fishmonger of Middle Row, Croydon. He worked with and eventually took over from his father, and moved the business to premises at 14 High Street. He was suceeded in turn by his own son, William Robert Page, before the business was sold in about 1883. William Page died on 15 February 1892, at the age of 82, leaving two sons and two daughters.
In later life, Page became a well-known member of local society, and chairman of the Old Croydon Tradesmens Society. He was particularly known for his longstanding memories of the town. In 1880, he wrote down some of his recollections in the present manuscript. When he died in 1892, it was suggested that he must have mislaid these [notes], for, to our knowledge, no one has ever seen them [Croydon Advertiser, 20 Feb 1892]. They were apparently rediscovered soon afterwards, however, and in July 1893 were bound as a vellum-covered volume, at the expense of the grateful recipient of his kindness (possibly John Ollis Pelton). In 1921, the manuscript was in the possession of Pages son, William Robert Page, who lent it to FW Moore (chairman of Croydon Public Libraries Committee) for copying. William Robert Page died in January 1938, and it may then have passed to his friend and executor, John Ollis Pelton, who, in turn, died in December. The manuscript was recieved by Croydon Library in February 1939.
Page was consulted by Jesse Ward when he was compiling Croydon in the Past (1883); and by John Ollis Pelton when writing Relics of Old Croydon (1891). This manuscript was transcribed by FW Moore in 1921: he incorporated the bulk of the text, in sections, into his collation of the antiquarian notebooks of CW Johnson ( now in Croydon Archives Service)
Frederick Alfred (Alf) Dunn lived at 5 Downsview Gardens, Upper Norwood with his wife Rose Alice Dunn. They had two sons, Fred and Reg, and a dog (?), Chum. In November 1939, Alf Dunn became a gunner in the Royal Artillery, based at the North Raglan Barracks, Devonport, Devon: he was training until 13 December 1939, and then joined B Battery. He remained in Devonport until 2 April 1940, when his unit left for France.
Alfs army number was 1516659. His unit was described as No.2 Battery 23rd M H Training Regiment, Royal Artillery until 13 December 1939; and thereafter No.9 B Battery 23rd M H Regiment Royal Artillery.
At the beginning of the correspondence, Fred and Reg were away from home (evacuated?). Reg came home in December, but Fred was ill, went into hospital in Brighton, and did not return home until March 1940.
Ronald Arthur Huitson (1916-1986) and his wife Muriel Huitson (1915 - 1987) were active members of the Industrial Studies and Local History sections of the Croydon Natural History Society and also of GLIAS. They organised numerous visits to then still functioning industrial concerns, both within Croydon and elsewhere. They also did a considerable amount of recording work and photography at industrial premises, and historical research.
Although born in Essex, Eleanor Macdonald (1910 - 2004) lived in Croydon for most of her life and attended Woodford School. With her brother Ian, An accomplished fencer, she founded the Croydon School of Fencing on Wellesley Road in 1928 with her brother Ian and which took her to Paris where they worked on routines for stage and screen. The School of Fencing continued until 1939 when she volunteered for war duty. Her work in intelligence resulted in her being awarded an MBE. After the war she gained qualifications in business and rose to become the director of a number of Unilever group companies.
In 1969 she founded her own consultancy business, Women in Management, which encouraged women at all levels to learn techniques of effective management and self development. Her work earned her the OBE. Her autobiography, Nothing by Chance, was published in 1987. She lived at Mapledale Avenue and attended St Andrews parish church. Among her interests was the history of the theatre in Croydon. She never married.
Woodford School was a private day-school for girls. A few boarders were also taken. Boys were taught in the preparatory classes. The school originated in 1867, established by Miss Annie Waters, who was joined shortly afterwards by her sister, Jennie Waters. It was originally located in the family home at 9 George Street, Croydon; but in 1878 the family and school moved into a new house at 8 Dingwall Road. This was named Woodford House after the village of Woodford, Wilts, where the family originated. The school subsequently expanded into the two neighbouring houses, 7 and 9 Dingwall Road. The Misses Waters retired in 1900, and Miss AHB Walford became headmistress; she was succeeded in 1927 by Miss Mary Horsley, an old girl of the school, who had taught there since 1919. The name changed in 1916 from Woodford House School to Woodford School. The school went into decline during World War 2. The Senior School closed in 1942; and, after Mary Horsley died in 1945, the surviving Junior School also closed.
The Old Girls Association (WOGA) was established in March 1902. It went into abeyance during World War 2; and was wound up after the death of Miss Horsley, and the closure of the school, in 1945. It was revived in 1951 by Phyllis Fretwell (nee Densham) and Valerie Williams, who became joint secretaries. It established strong links with Mary Horsleys sisters, Misses Margaret and Gwendolen (Dee) Horsley: Margaret, who had been Secretary of the school, was elected President of WOGA. The Association was finally wound up in 1984.
Eleanor Macdonald founded the Croydon School of Fencing to ease her family financial situation. It was based at Wellesley House on Wellesley Road from 1928 until it was closed due to the Macdonalds war service in 1939. Eleanor and Ian Macdonald built up a national and international reputation in tournaments, exhibitions, consultants (including for motion pictures) and publications on fencing.
Ronald Murthwaite was born in Wealdstone, Harrow in 1920. He married Joyce Baldock at Croydon Parish Church in December 1944 and they subsequently lived at 10 Tamworth Road, Croydon. During the 1950s he served with Croydon Division of the Civil Defence Corps.
Ronald Murthwaite died in 2004.
Henry Horace Pereira (1845 - 1926) was vicar and rural dean of Croydon from 1895 to 1904. On 24th of January 1904 he became the first bishop of Croydon and his consecration took place at Westminster Abbey. Before obtaining a position at Croydon, Pereira had also been a rector to Chilbolton in Hampshire and rural dean of Stockbridge. Pereira was a devoted supporter to the Church of Englands Temperance Society. His work in this society affected the public of Croydon. He resigned as Bishop on 6 May 1924. His commitment to the Temperance Society remained strong. Pereira was happily married to Adela de Courcy Stretton who was the eldest daughter of Col. and the Hon. Mrs Stretton. They had two children, the daughter Miss Violet Inez Pereira married a local vicar Rev. A. Reeve. Pereira died on the 1 January 1926 aged 80.
Sir Thomas Edridge (1814 - 1892) was a notable businessman of Croydon and was a director of the Hudson Bay Company. Edridge also performed philanthropic work within Croydon. At his own expense he built a new wing of the Croydon General Hospital and was actively involved in many institutions and legal boards. Edridge was Chairman of the County Bench, Chairman of Croydon General Hospital, Representative of the County Magistrate for the Whitgift Foundation and an official of the Croydon Board of Guardians. Edridge married Miss Martha Godbold and had four sons and two daughters. He died on 18 August 1892.