Showing 678 results

Authority record

15th Southern Croydon, St Peters Scouts Group

  • CB168
  • Corporate body
  • 1927

The 15th Southern Croydon, St Peters Scouts was formed in November 1927 under Scoutmaster Rev. Peter Thornton. By the time of their first concert in November 1928 the membership was over 100 Rovers (17 to 25 years), Scouts (11 to 16 years) and Cubs (7 to 11 years). The Troop met in their headquarters on Selsdon Road. Reports of their activities appear in the St Peters parish magazine.

In 1935, the Rovers leave the 15th and set up a new Troop (St Peters parish magazine, May 1935, p.7).

1st Sanderstead Scout Troop

  • CB165
  • Corporate body
  • 1938 - 1939

Although the postal address of the 1st Sanderstead Scout Troop HQ was on Sanderstead Road, the Troop actually met in a hut next to the allotments north of Sanderstead Road. The entrance to the path was next to Broomhall Road and the path ran alongside the railway. The hut was situated at the point that the path diverged. It is shown on the 1988 aerial survey but has gone by the 2001 Ordnance Survey map.

64th Croydon Scout Troop

  • CB169
  • Corporate body
  • 1935

The 64th Croydon Scout Troop was formed on 01 April 1935 at South Croydon Methodist Church Hall, Bartlett Street. The General Scout Master was Eric C. Cleaver of 77 St Peters Road.

Abel Garraway

  • P055
  • Person
  • 1782 - 1860

Abel Garraway was the son of Daniel Garraway, grocer. Daniel died in 1832, when Abel inherited his copyhold property in Croydon, notably a messuage near the Cornmarket. He also owned some freehold property. He later seems to have lived in Hackney and Mitcham, and died in 1860.

Abraham B. Jayne

  • P011
  • Person
  • 1864

Abraham B. Jayne was a 'jobmaster', supplying carriages, horses and drivers for hire. His business was apparently established in 1864, although it is not clear where (he does not appear in the 1869 street directory covering Upper Norwood). By 1874, however, he was established in the Holly Bush Stables in Westow Street (at the back of the Holly Bush Hotel in Westow Hill). In about 1879, Jayne moved to the yards behind the White Hart and The Alma, important inns on opposite sides of Church Road. The business may afterwards have been reduced, as he appears in directories of 1882-1886 simply as a Fly Proprietor. He seems to have ceased trading in about 1886, and does not appear in directories after that date.

Results 1 to 25 of 678