Showing 679 results

Authority record

Adult School

  • CB228
  • Corporate body
  • 1798 - 1914

Alderman Frederick Foss

  • P009
  • Person
  • 1850 - 1908

Frederick Foss was a solicitor, who was active in the movement for the incorporation of Croydon as a Borough. When the campaign finally succeeded in 1883, he became the Charter Town Clerk: that is, he briefly acted as Town Clerk until the formal election to the post of CM Elborough. In 1886, he was elected to the Council, and he served as Mayor 1892-1893. In July 1893 he was elected Alderman; and later that year he was made a permanent Justice of the Peace. In 1895 Elborough fell ill and eventually died, and Foss again acted as Town Clerk for five months. The present album was given to him in recognition of this work at a Council meeting on 21 Sept 1896 (Croydon Advertiser, 26 Sept 1896). In 1902 he again acted as Town Clerk; and he was given the Freedom of the Borough in 1907.

Alexander Sandison

  • P007
  • Person
  • 1854 - 1921

Alexander Sandison was born in April 1854 in Cullivoe, Yell, Shetland, the eldest of a family of ten. As the third in a series of eldest sons named Alexander, he was known within the family as Looie.

He was educated at the Queen Street Institution, Edinburgh, and later at Cheshunt College, Herts; and was ordained as a Congregational minister in 1880. He immediately took up the prestigious position of Pastor of the Kings Weigh House Church, in Fish Street Hill, City of London. The Church building was compulsorily purchased for railway development in 1883: Rev Alexander was then responsible for finding a new site at Duke Street, Grosvenor Square, and for overseeing the building of a new Weigh House, which finally opened in 1891. In 1901, feeling a sense of personal failure, he resigned his pastorate of the Weigh House. He then returned for a time to Shetland. In 1904, he moved to Croydon, to become Minister of South Croydon Congregational Church, Aberdeen Road. He lived at 29 St Peters Road, South Croydon.

He retired from his ministry in June 1919, and the family moved in October to 'Lynnbank', 21 South Park Hill Road. He died on 15 November 1921.

Alfred Russel Wallace

  • P005
  • Person
  • 1823 - 1913

Alfred Wallace lived at Waldron Edge, Duppas Hill Lane, 1878 - 1881 and was connected with the CNHSS during this time.

All Saints Infant School

  • CB075
  • Corporate body
  • 1967

All Saints Infant School was opened on 1 September 1967. The Infant School, unlike the Junior School is not a Church of England Voluntary Controlled School. In October 2005, the Infant School and CE Junior School were federated under one head and, from 2008, in one building.

All Saints Junior School

  • CB068
  • Corporate body
  • 1838

Founded circa 1834, perhaps as a dame school or as a school attached to All Saints Chapel. Made a Church of England school by trust deed, dated 1849. Enlarged and became a National School in 1864. Infants school founded probably 1838; Girls school founded probably 1838; Boys school founded probably 1838; National school opened Jan 1866; Girls and Infants schools amalgamated 1 January 1905; Girls and Infants and Boys schools amalgamated 1 September 1924 to become Junior Mixed [Boys and Girls] and Infants: became known as the Academy on the Hill, recruiting only graduates and enjoying a considerable reputation; school lost aided status in 1953 and became a controlled school; reorganised as separate infants and junior schools, 1 September 1967; old junior school buildings demolished 1971. From 1967 - 2005 the Infants and Juniors were separate schools.

All Saints Infant School and All Saints CE Junior School federated in October 2005 with one Headteacher and one Governing Body. The schools federated because the Infants is a Community School and the Juniors is a Church of England (Voluntary Controlled) School.

In September 2008 the school became a joint building with one main entrance, administrative office and staffroom.

Ancient Order of Shepherds

  • CB176
  • Corporate body
  • 1866 - 1889

Sanctuary Pride of the Sea was opened in January 1866, with officers from Sancuary 3146 of the Order in attendance. Pride of the Sea was the South Norwood Sanctuary (i.e. branch): the first meeting took place at the Alliance Hotel, South Norwood ( no location is given for any other meeting); and several of the officers can be identified as South Norwood residents.

One Croydon lodge of the Ancient Order of Foresters friendly society (opened at the Ship Inn in 1862) was named Pride of the Ocean: this may explain the Shepherds choice of name.

Meetings took place monthly (although minutes have not been completed for four meetings in the latter part of 1881). Officers, who were elected in December and June for six - month terms, included the following: Ancient Pastor [Chairman]; Sub Pastor; Treasurer; Scribe (or Secretary); First Attendant; First Keeper; Second Keeper; and Auditor. Not all these posts existed throughout the period of the minute books.

Like most friendly societies, Sanctuary Pride of the Sea supported its members (Brothers) or their dependants at times of sickness, hardship or death. The minutes, however, are more concerned with the Sanctuarys administration and ceremonial ( the election of officers and new members, and the imposition of fines dor absence from meetings, or for breaches of regulations such as not wearing a scripp, etc.)

Applegarth Infant School

  • CB060
  • Corporate body
  • 1967 - 2007

Applegarth Infant School opened in January 1967, followed by an official opening on 12 October 1967.

Applegarth Junior School

  • CB047
  • Corporate body
  • 1966 - 2007

The first pupils were admitted to Applegarth Junior School on 05 January 1967 and the school was officially opened on 12 October 1967. Delays in completing the buildings meant that the Infants school initially shared premises with the Juniors for a short period.

Arthur Anderson

  • P040
  • Person
  • 1792 - 1868

Arthur Anderson was born in Scotland, was the founder of the P and O Steamline and lived at Norwood Grove. Extract taken from the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography reads ' By the time of Andersons death in 1868 the P O had the largest commercial fleet of steamships in the world and provided the main link between Britain and its imperial possessions in India, the Far East, and Australia....At his home, The Grove, Norwood, South London, he endowed a working mans institute'. Anderson died of bronchitis at 18 Park Lane, London, on 27 February 1868

Arthur Tooth

  • P049
  • Person
  • 1839 - 1931

Arthur Tooth (1839-1931) entered the Church of England in 1863. His religious beliefs and practices, in his parish of Hatcham, Kent, leant towards the extreme High Church: he came into conflict with the Church authorities, resulting in his imprisonment for 28 days in 1877, and the resignation of his living in 1878. He then bought Stroud Green House, Woodside, and transferred his community of nuns there from Hatcham. He intended to build a large hospital for inebriates, but only the chapel and one cloister wing were finished, and the convent in fact functioned as an orphanage. The property was sold in 1924 to Croydon Corporation, and the community moved to Otford Court, Kent where Father Tooth died in 1931. Croydon Council demolished the old Stroud Green House; laid the grounds out as a public park (Ashburton Park); and converted Father Tooths convent buildings into a public library (Ashburton Library), opened in December 1927.

Ashburton Community School

  • CB026
  • Corporate body
  • 1931 - 2000

Opened as Ashburton Senior School, 7 September 1931 in Long Lane, Croydon. Reopened as Ashburton Secondary Modern School in Shirley Road, 4 April 1950. Boys and Girls departments became separate schools on 1 Jan 1952. The two schools then amalgamated to form Ashburton High School on 1 September 1970. The school was renamed Ashburton Community School in September 1999.

The school is moved to new buildings on the Shirley Road site in April 2006 as part of the Ashburton Learning Village project. The former school buildings on the Shirley Road will be demolished to make way for housing.

Results 26 to 50 of 679