Showing 694 results

Authority record

Priory Special School

  • CB032
  • Corporate body
  • 1973 - c.1999

School commenced January 1974 as a purpose-built all-age school for students with severe learning difficulties. After 1986 it took only pupils between 13 and 19. Since September 2000, this has been extended to between 12 and 19.

Parish Church Junior School

  • CB033
  • Corporate body
  • 1862 - 1980

Parish Church National School for girls existed by December 1862, with presumably a similar school for boys. The school was initially called St Johns. On 23 January 1882, a boys school was established by the Rt. Rev. Bishop Tufnell, vicar of Croydon, according to the log book that commences in 1894, which may mean that any earlier school had lapsed. By 1882 and until 1884, the boys school was held in the Pitlake Mission Hall, Westfield Road. A log book commencing in the latter year indicates that by then there was a separate infants school (also called St Johns). The 1884 building stood at the junction of Church Road and Old Palace Road and accommodated boys, girls and infants in three separate departments. The immediate increase in numbers was such that, in October 1886, the newly-erected Welcome Hall, Scarbrook Road, had to be taken into use as an annexe. This was the boys school from 1894 until 1924. In January 1924, the boys school returned to the old building and the junior girls and infants schools were combined. In 1949, the juniors and infants were combined under one head. A further reorganisation in 1966 resulted in the creation of separate infants and junior mixed [boys and girls] schools.

Oval Primary School

  • CB034
  • Corporate body
  • 1873 - 1984

Founded as four schools in 1873: Oval Road Senior Boys School opened on 29 April 1873; (the word Road was dropped from the titles of the schools in 1922); Oval Road Junior School and Oval Road Infants School on 29 September 1873 and Oval Road Senior Girls School on 6 October 1873. On 26 June 1905, the senior boys school and the junior school were amalgamated under the senior boys headmaster. During World War One, this school moved to Tamworth Road to make way for Davidson Girls, whose building was in use as a hospital. In May 1918, it transferred to the Adult School, Park Lane. In April 1921, the senior boys school and the junior school were separated and the the senior boys and senior girls schools were amalgamated to form Oval Road Senior Mixed [boysand girls] School. Between April 1930 and September 1931, the buildings of this school were demolished and rebuilt on the same site.The school reopened on 7 September 1931. On 31 August 1948, the school closed and pupils were transferred to Davidson and Tavistock schools. Also in April 1921, the junior and infants schools had been combined under the infants head. Between April 1930 and September 1931, the buildings of this school were demolished and rebuilt on the same site; the pupils being accommodated at St Marys Hall, Oval Road, St Matthews Hall, George Street and Causton Memorial Hall, Cross Street. The new building was occupied on 30 November 1931. On 1 January 1949, the infants and juniors became separate schools and the previous head of the mixed school became head of the new junior school. On 1 January 1981, as a result of falling rolls, the infants and junior schools were again amalgamated under the infants school head.

Norbury Manor High School for Girls

  • CB035
  • Corporate body
  • 1932 -1983

Opened 31 March 1913 as Stanford Road Senior Mixed [Boys and Girls] School. The building was used as a military hospital between March 1915 and June 1919 and the pupils accommodated at Winterbourne Road School. Renamed Norbury Manor in December 1922. Reorganised as separate senior boys and senior girls schools from 4 April 1932. [See SCH75]. Renamed Norbury Manor Secondary Modern Girls School, April 1947. Moved to Kensington Avenue on 16 April 1958. Became an 11 - 14 comprehensive and assumed its present name in 1970. In April 1994, the school became grant maintained and so ceased to be the responsibility of the Local Education Authority.

Monks Orchard Primary School

  • CB038
  • Corporate body
  • 1936 - 1981

Monks Orchard Primary School was opened on 27 October 1936 for 5 to 11 year olds.

On 4 September 1939 the school was evacuated to Kemptown, Brighton but the Head Teacher was recalled on 19 February 1940 and on 1 April 1940 the few children remaining there were absorbed by Cypress School.

From 24 June to 6 September 1940 the majority of the school was again evacuated, the Acting Head Teacher remaining on the Croydon site being Miss M.E. Pedgrift of St Lukes Partially Sighted School.

On the night of 14 - 15 September 1940 the house-holders of Chaffinch Avenue had to shelter in the school and on 6 October 1940 the building was damaged by bombs falling in the Glade and Mardell Road.

On the night of 16 - 17 April, a pupil - Yvonne Kingman - and her parents, living at 9 Fairhaven Avenue, were all killed by a bomb. Later, on the night of 24 - 25 March 1944, several classrooms were damaged by incendiary bombs.

Lady Edridge Girls High School

  • CB039
  • Corporate body
  • 1920 - 1986

Founded 5 January 1920, as a selective central school in Selhurst Road. It was a grammar school (1951 - 1971) and a 14 - 18 comprehensive, 1971 - 1986. An annexe existed (1958 - 1963) in the former Thornton Heath Polytechnic, in High Street, Thornton Heath.

St Raphael Club

  • CB020
  • Corporate body
  • 1971 - 1993

The Croydon branch of the St Raphael Club for physically handicapped persons was founded in 1971 by Tom and Celia Podd as part of the St Raphaels Federation. It started in St Marys Church Hall followed by St Augustines Church Hall and latterly the Waylands Centre at Fiveways. It closed in 2002 due to falling membership but the occasion was marked with a commemorative lunch in Fairfield Hall. The donor was Vice Chairman of the Club.

Kingsley Infant School

  • CB023
  • Corporate body
  • 1877 - 1992

Tamworth Road Temporary School for girls and infants opened on 8 January 1877. Boys were transferred to Church Road Boys School when old enough. On 1 January 1880 Church Road Boys School closed and staff and pupils were transferred to new buildings in Mitcham Road. Tamworth Road Temporary School probably closed at the same time when a similar move was made. The school was thereafter exclusively for infants and was known as Mitcham Road (until 1921), Rectory Manor, and then Kingsley from 1 June 1931, following a move to new premises.

Ashburton Community School

  • CB026
  • Corporate body
  • 1931 - 2000

Opened as Ashburton Senior School, 7 September 1931 in Long Lane, Croydon. Reopened as Ashburton Secondary Modern School in Shirley Road, 4 April 1950. Boys and Girls departments became separate schools on 1 Jan 1952. The two schools then amalgamated to form Ashburton High School on 1 September 1970. The school was renamed Ashburton Community School in September 1999.

The school is moved to new buildings on the Shirley Road site in April 2006 as part of the Ashburton Learning Village project. The former school buildings on the Shirley Road will be demolished to make way for housing.

Keston Junior School

  • CB028
  • Corporate body
  • 1937 - 1993

Founded 11 January 1937. From 1937 to 1959, the school was for infants as well as juniors. A separate but adjacent infant school was opened on 1 September 1959.

Keston Infant School

  • CB029
  • Corporate body
  • 1937 - 1959

Keston Primary School was opened on 11 January 1937 for children aged 5 to 11.

In 1959 the school was reorganised with separate Infant and Junior Departments.

On 1 September 2003 the Infant and Junior Schools were combined once more.

Kensington Avenue Junior School

  • CB036
  • Corporate body
  • 1932 - 1998

Opened 4 April 1932. Existed as a combined infant and junior school until April 1957, when a separate infant school was opened on the same site. The school federated, as Kensington Avenue Primary School, in 2005.

Kensington Avenue Infant School

  • CB041
  • Corporate body
  • 1955 - 1997

The School was a combined Infant and Junior School which opened on 4 April 1932. In April 1957 a separate Infant School was opened on the same site. The school federated, as Kensington Avenue Primary School, in 2005.

Pupils were evacuated to Hove on 4 Sept 1939, attending East Hove Junior School, Ellen Avenue. The school re-opened full-time in Croydon on 25 May 1940. On 17 June 1940 a party was evacuated to Holsworthy (Devon) and by 12 August the Hove party had been moved to the greater safety of Holmsbury St Mary (Surrey).

Croydon Rifle Club

  • CB043
  • Corporate body
  • c. 1958 - 1966

The Croydon Rifle Club was established in c.1945 possibly by former Home Guard members. It was based in an old wooden railway building on the Fairfield site which had previously been used by the A.R.P. and which served as the Headquarters of the Croydon and District Small Bore Rifle League. In 1955 plans were proposed for the re-development of central Croydon and the club was advised that it would have to move. After discussions with Croydon Council, a suitable site was found on part of the Beddington Lane Sewage Farm. The move began in June 1958 and materials from the old range were used in the new one. The range was finally opened in 1966, by which time it was known as the Croydon Rifle and Pistol Club. The berms were made by excavated earth from the flyover in the town centre and the Full-Bore Pistol range was completed in 1985. The Croydon Rifle and Pistol Club remains open at Jessops Way, off Beddington Lane.

Norbury Manor School First Aid Post

  • CB044
  • Corporate body
  • 1942 -1944

The documents formerly belonged to Mr Percy Oswald Douglas (1888 - 1967), Voluntary Commandant of Norbury Manor School First Aid Post 1939 - 1944.

First Aid posts were established for the treatment of minor injuries and were a supplement to hospitals, freeing them for major casualties. The commandants of the posts all belonged to the British Red Cross Society or the St John Ambulance Brigade and initially left their own employment to take whole-time charge. There were usually around 20 full-time personnel at each post, both men and women who served full time or voluntarily part-time. To each post doctors were attached, who made routine visits and attended on the warning.

Norbury Manor post had windows and shutters broken and the telephone wires put out of action on April 16th 1942. During the first two years of the war, Norbury Manor post treated 50 casualties.

Percy Oswald Douglas was the tenth child of Walter Joseph Douglas, carpenter and joiner, and his wife Elizabeth. They had fifteen children, of whom thirteen lived to adulthood. For most of his life, and certainly after the death of his parents, he appears to have acted as the nucleus of the family, and its chief correspondant.

He began his career as an office boy at The Lady weekly magazine in 1903, working in th eoffice which it still occupies at 39 - 40 Bedford Street, Strand, London WC2. He eventually retired as Company Secretary of the same firm in 1956. He had a strong interest in medical and first-aid matters, dating well before 1914. When the 1914 - 18 war came, he was deemed unfit for military service, as one leg was a little shorter tha the other, the result (probably) of tuberculosis in childhood. He served nevertheless with the Red Cross on the Western Front from 1915 onwards. A few months before the end of the war he married his wife: a wonderful partnership. Perhaps in consequence of his own experience with a massive family, he had only one child.

As the Second World War approached, he was active in Air Raid Precautions (ARP) matters, and when war came he became Commandant of the First Aid Post at Norbury Manor School. This was a very large First Aid Post, and his work was entirely voluntary.

During the war, there were a great many air raid alerts, mostly at night, and quite a lot of casualties in the area, for Norbury was situated in Bomb Alley. His home was about half a mile from the First Aid Post, and he did not have a telephone - though he could have arranged for one if he had wished. Fortunately there was a public telephone very close to the house, which minimised the number of trips he needed to make on foot to the First Aid Post The commandants Log gives some idea of the work which was necessary.

Throughout his period as Commandant, he continued in all the ordinary duties of his job in London, the care of his wife and his son (and dog), his interest in his family and his garden. War or no war, he kept his garden in exemplary condition. The lawn was his special pride but it was reduced in size to permit the production of vegetables, on the Dig for Victory principle.

Leslie Robinson

  • P004
  • Person
  • 1922

Leslie Robinson (d.o.b. 7 May 1922) attended Selburst Grammar School for boys from Sep 1933 until Jul 1938; his admisson, as pupil no. 2854 is recorded in admission register SCH119/2/9. He passed his general school certificate and on leaving school became a Clerk with the Sea Insurance Company Ltd.

Norbury Cricket Club

  • CB045
  • Corporate body
  • 1918 - 1947

Norbury Cricket Club was founded in 1918 by local young men including many ex servicemen who had returned from the 1914 - 1918 war. The club was first named Norbury Athletic. No club records exist for the first two years. Early minute books record that the club amalgamated with Sirens Sports Club on 25 Nov 1921 when it was unanimously agreed to name the combine club Norbury Sirens Cricket Club. An agreement already existed between Sirens Club and Elco Athletic Club for the use of a ground in Greyhound Lane, Streatham Park, at a fee of 16315 per year. This ground was used by Norbury Sirens. Membership was limited to 35 playing members and the annual subscription was one guinea.

The first officers elected were as follows:-

Chairman: Mr Lewis Milner

Secretary: Mr G. Toll

Treasurer: Mr R.W. Tillier

Captain: Mr E.J. Robbins

A committee meeting was called on 31st Mar 1940 to decide the policy of the club owing to the outbreak of war especially with regard to the coming season and the difficulties presented by the loss of membership due to various forms of National Service. It was decided that the club should cease its playing activities during the war.

On Wednesday 12 Feb 1947 a meeting was held, preceeded by a supper to commemorate the re-union of members after the war. Members stood in silent memory for three of their number who had been killed in action - C. Gardner, E. Jones and K. Hookway. It was regretfully agreed by all present that owing to reduced playing strength through various reasons, the club should be wound up and that the balance of the Club funds should be used to pay for the cost of the evening. The main problem was the difficulty in attracting new young players due to not having a home ground or headquarters.

Alfred Russel Wallace

  • P005
  • Person
  • 1823 - 1913

Alfred Wallace lived at Waldron Edge, Duppas Hill Lane, 1878 - 1881 and was connected with the CNHSS during this time.

Applegarth Junior School

  • CB047
  • Corporate body
  • 1966 - 2007

The first pupils were admitted to Applegarth Junior School on 05 January 1967 and the school was officially opened on 12 October 1967. Delays in completing the buildings meant that the Infants school initially shared premises with the Juniors for a short period.

Croydon Sailing Club

  • CB046
  • Corporate body
  • 1956

By agreement with the London Borough of Croydon the Croydon Sailing Club sails on South Norwood Lake a six-acre former canal feeder reservoir. The lake is situated between Crystal Palace and Norwood.

The following extract is taken from an unknown newspaper cutting dated 8 September 1978, which can be found within the collection, and offers a brief account of how the Croydon Sailing Club started;

The first person to realise the potential of the lake for sailing was Mr Roger Self who gained permission from Croydon Council to sail his dingy there in 1956. Mr Godfrey Symons and his wife Pauline of Wrights Road South Norwood , heard about the lake and started to build their own dingy. When Mr Self left the district they were left with a half-built boat. It was no good to them without somewhere to sail they decided to form Croydon Sailing Club and took over its running. Club members in 1957, when the club first ventured into the water ,owned a motley selection of craft - everything from the canvas boat to the clinker-built Queen Mary, picked up by someone on the coast. At the first Annual General Meeting the club decided to adopt Herons Dinghies and the single sail Gremlins as the official class of boat which Croydon Council agreed were suitable to sail on the lake. Only six boats were allowed on the lake at one time although the number permitted was soon doubled to 12 when the club realised it was manoeuverably possible... the club has gone from strength to strength since the beginning in 1957.

The club is still running and sails all year round. Racing takes place on Sundays and in the summer months there is organised sailing most Wednesday evenings. There are also a number of trophy races throughout the year. The club celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2005.

William Harry Hawkins

  • P006
  • Person
  • 1898 - 1899

Certificates for shorthand qualifications issued to William Harry Hwakins ( born 1883)

Woodford Old Girls Association

  • CB048
  • Corporate body
  • 1902-1969

Woodford School was a superior private day-school for girls. A few boarders were also taken. Boys were taught in the preparatory classes. The school originated in 1867, established by Miss Annie Waters, who was joined shortly afterwards by her sister, Jennie Waters. It was originally located in the family home at 9 George Street, Croydon; but in 1878 the family and school moved into a new house at 8 Dingwall Road. This was named Woodford House after the village of Woodford, Wilts, where the family originated. The school subsequently expanded into the two neighbouring houses, 7 and 9 Dingwall Road. The Misses Waters retired in 1900, and Miss AHB Walford became headmistress; she was succeeded in 1927 by Miss Mary Horsley, an old girl of the school, who had taught there since 1919. The name. changed in 1916 from Woodford House School to Woodford School. The school went into decline during World War 2, and closed in 1945, after the death of Mary Horsley.

The Old Girls Association (WOGA) seems to have been established before 1902. It went into abeyance during World War 2; and was wound up after the death of Miss Horsley, and the closure of the school, in 1945. It was revived in 1951 by Phyllis Fretwell (nee Densham) and Valerie Williams, who became joint secretaries. It established a strong association with Mary Horsleys sisters, Misses Margaret and Gwendolen (Dee) Horsley: Margaret, who had been Secretary of the school, was elected President of WOGA. The Association survived until 1984.

Howard Primary School

  • CB050
  • Corporate body
  • 1924

Two Board schools, named Dering Place, were opened on 25 April 1898. One was for Infants and the other for children above Infant age.

On 2 May 1924 the Infant and Seniors were amalgamated to form one school

On 1 Sept 1930 the school was reorganised for Juniors and Infants only.

The School was evacuated to Plumpton, Sussex, between September 1939 and March 1940.

Results 26 to 50 of 694