Showing 682 results

Authority record

Phyllis Devereux

  • P039
  • Person
  • 1914

Phyllis Devereux was born on 14th March 1914 in London, the third of six children. After a period of living in Wales, she moved to Shirley in 1920.

In 1930, she started work as a draughtswoman for The Metal Propellor Company, Purley Way and later worked for the London Passenger Transport Board at Thornton Heath Pond followed by a period with Engineering, a technical journal. During the war, she worked for the Royal Dutch Shell Oil Company at Teddington followed by periods of employment with the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company and the Kuwait Oil Company. Between 1949 and her retirement in 1970, she worked at the Geological Museum, Knightsbridge. She currently lives in Caterham.

Portland Road School

  • CB012
  • Corporate body
  • 1902 - 1986

Founded 8 April 1902 as Portland Road Infants School. Known as Portland Infants School, 1922 - 1968. Admitted older children for the first time and became Ryelands Primary School in 1968.

Powers Accounting Machines Ltd

  • CB144
  • Corporate body
  • 1942-1973

The 32nd Surrey (Factory) Battalion of the Home Guard guarded the factory estates around the Purley Way. E Company covered the northern part of Mitcham Road. The Company was based around the personnel of Powers Accounting Machines Ltd, whose original works were in Aurelia Road (although they also had a recently-acquired factory further down the Purley Way). The Company commander was Major Leslie E Brougham (in civilian life, a senior manager at Powers).

Primrose League Grantham Dames

  • CB137
  • Corporate body
  • 1883

The Primrose League was founded in 1883, started by Sir Henry Drummond Wolff and ten friends at the Carlton Club, primarily to promote unity in a Conservative party at its lowest ebb. The League recognised that the party didnt consist of any one class in the community and aimed to promote unity between the classes. Lord Randolph Churchill was a leading light, and the organisation was seen by him as the way forward to enable the new Tory Demoncracy to regain power. Women members were known as Dames.

The Croydon branch of the Dames Primrose League, Grantham Habitation No 505, was founded in July 1885. Lady Randolph Churchill, and William Grantham MP and his wife Emma were present at the inaugural meeting. Mr Grantham was MP for E. Surrey from 1874 - 1885 and became Croydons first MP in November 1885 securing a majority over Mr Jabez Balfour. In one of its opening minutes of meeting the function of Habitation was outlined as discussing the ways in which ladies could help in counteracting the ignorance was erroneous principles among the people. Members included Dames (full women members), Honorary Members (men) and Absolute Members. Throughout the history of the Habitation, many charitable events were co ordinated, monies raised going to various good causes, especially during the First World War, eg. to homes for wounded soldiers. Juvenile branches were organised, awards for long service and successful recruiting were presented, and social events and speeches were often organised.

Dame Presidents

Mrs E. G. Man July 1885 - May 1886

Mrs M. E. Peard May 1886 - April 1887

Mrs E. A. Strong April 1887 - May 1888

Miss M. Etheridge May 1888 - April 1889

Mrs M. E. Peard April 1889 - April 1900

Mrs L. A. Walton April 1900 - April 1901

Mrs A. Crowley April 1901 - March 1910

Mrs A. Bouquet March 1910 - March 1913

Mrs A. Crowley March 1913 - ?

Priory Special School

  • CB032
  • Corporate body
  • 1973 - c.1999

School commenced January 1974 as a purpose-built all-age school for students with severe learning difficulties. After 1986 it took only pupils between 13 and 19. Since September 2000, this has been extended to between 12 and 19.

Public Record Office

  • CB174
  • Corporate body
  • 1846 - 1871

The drawings relate to new school buildings (or additional building work) for which grants from central government were being sought. All eight schools were elementary schools (generally with separate sections for Boys, Girls and Infants) established by the voluntary educational societies. Seven were National Schools (Church of England schools run by the National Society for Promoting the Education of the Poor in the Principles of the Established Church), and the eighth a British School (run by the British and Foreign School Society, along more nonconformist lines).

Purley High School for Boys

  • CB031
  • Corporate body
  • 1914 - 1988

Founded 29 September 1914 as Purley County Secondary School. The school was single sex throughout its history and a grammar school until it became comprehensive in September 1971. Closed 31 August 1988.

Purley High School for Girls

  • CB022
  • Corporate body
  • 1933 - 1988

The school opened as Purley County School for Girls in Godstone Road in 1933. Moved to the Stoneyfield Road site on 22 February 1939. Single-sex throughout its history and a grammar school until becoming comprehensive in September 1971. Closed 31 August 1988 as a result of falling rolls.

Purley Nursery School

  • CB019
  • Corporate body
  • 1946 - 1993

In September 1946 Bleak House, 64 Pampisford Road, Croydon, which was then occupied by Coulsdon and Purley UDCs Wartime Nursery was taken over by Surrey County Council and became Purley Nursery School. It was leased to the County Council at a rental of 163125 p.a. Three years later the lease was renewed at 163150 p.a.

In 1955, Surrey County Council acquired the freehold for 1633750 (1631250 of that sum being the estimated value of the land). The house comprised four bedrooms; bathroom and WC on the first floor; three receptions, kitchen etc. on the ground fllor and various out - buildings.

In 1975, in conjunction with an exchange of land, a private developer, Caldicott Property Co. Ltd, agreed to erect a new nursery school at no cost to the Athority, but to the Authoritys brief at the rear of what had been Nos 60 and 62 Pampisford Road, the private architect being R.C. Woodward, RIBA of Westerham, Kent. This building was eventually completed and occupied in April 1978 and Bleak House was then demolished.

Purley Oaks Primary School

  • CB018
  • Corporate body
  • 1873 - 1997

Brighton Road Senior Boys School was opened on 19 August 1873; Brighton Road Junior Mixed [Boys and Girls] School on 22 August 1873 and Brighton Road Senior Girls School on 29 September 1873. Brighton Road Infants School also opened at some point in 1873. Between 24 December 1874 and 31 March 1878 and between 31 December 1912 and 31 December 1921, the Senior Girls School and the Junior School were combined. On 1 January 1922, the schools were reorganised to form a Senior Mixed [Boys and Girls] School and a Junior and Infants School. The name of the schools was also changed in 1922 from Brighton Road to Purley Oaks. On 23 August 1926, a further reorganisation saw the creation of a Senior and Junior School and an Infants School. On 31 August 1955, the senior pupils were transferred to South Croydon Secondary School and a Junior School and an Infants School were created. On 1 September 1981, the two schools were combined into a single Junior and Infants school under one head.

Results 476 to 500 of 682