Showing 679 results

Authority record

Samuel Waghorn

  • P051
  • Person
  • 1789

There were two Samuel Waghorn(e)s, perhaps father and son. The two sections of this book (written in different hands) appear to represent the work of the two individuals. Samuel Waghorn I seems to have been based in the Limpsfield or Titsey area of Surrey. His regular customers included the Biscoe family (of Hookwood, Limpsfield) and Sir John Gresham (of Titsey). His business was firmly rooted in the rural community, largely comprising work on agricultural equipment (wagons, ploughs, harrows, wheelbarrows, etc). He also received an income from the rent on two houses, one at Farley Common. Samuel Waghome II (c1789-1858) may have moved to Croydon in about 1819, when he first appears in rate books, occupying a cottage in a yard off the High Street (near Mint Walk). He stayed there until 1822, and then moved to a cottage in Old Town (Duppas Lane), where he remained until 1828. From 1826, however, Samuel also appears as the joint occupier with Richard Jones (an established coachbuilder) of what had been Jones house and shop on the west side of the High Street. After 1834, Waghorn was the sole occupier, and he subsequently expanded into the adjoining property as well. These premises (numbered 83 High Street by 1851, renumbered 146 High Street in 1886, and renumbered 252 High Street in 0 931) were to remain the firms headquarters for some eighty years.

Samuel IIs regular customers in the 1820s, as recorded in this book, included well-known Croydon names such as Robert Corney (his neighbour), John Dingwall, John Battersbee, etc; as well as customers further afield in Battersea, Vauxhall, Sussex, etc. He did occasional jobs for the Brighton Coach. Samuel IIs business had become slightly more urban and perhaps higher class than Samuel Is: there are more references to work for tradesmen and on drays etc, and also on chaises and carriages. To judge from his writing and accounting methods, Samuel II was also probably better educated than Samuel I.

Samuel II died in October 1858, aged 69, but the business continued to be known as Samuel Waghorne, presumably run by his widow, Harriet (c1789-1867), and their son, Thomas (c1822-1868). In Warrens Directory for 1865-6, the firm is named Waghorne and Son.

After the deaths in close succession of Harriet and Thomas, the business was taken over in 1868 by James T Miles, and renamed Waghorne and Miles. The firm prospered in the latter part of the nineteenth century as a builder of superior carriages of various types, and, from about 1902, of motor car bodies. In about 1906 it was bought up by Marchant and Sons, a firm of coachbuilders established at 34 Tamworth Road in about 1873. Marchant and Sons took over the High Street premises, and continued to operate from that address until the 1950s.

Sanderstead Preservation Society

  • CB124
  • Corporate body
  • 1961

The Sanderstead Preservation Society was formed on Sunday 16 April 1961, when 19 local residents called a meeting to discuss opposition to the reported intention of the Coulsdon and Purley Urban District Council to develop land adjoining Sanderstead Pond for a clinic. The residents present felt that a specialist body was needed, as the Sanderstead Residents Association would not be able to focus its attention entirely on the problem. The S.P.S. was therefore founded, its stated purposes being 'the preservation and good development of Sanderstead, its natural beauty and its buildings of historical and architectural interest'. The society was non-political, non-religious and non-profit-making. In addition, the committee made it clear that the society was not in competition with the Sanderstead Residents Association, there being a member from each society sitting on the committee of the other.

The first campaign of the S.P.S. was a success. Canvassing of the whole of the Sanderstead area resulted in a petition of 1200 signatures, which led to plans for the development of the land next to Sanderstead Pond being dropped. The society also managed to protect the same land (called the Gruffy) when it was threatened by a car park, by providing an alternative site at the old Express Dairy. It was greatly responsible, in 1968, for the eventual designation of the Gruffy as an open space for all time, along with Kings Wood, Sanderstead Plantation and Croham Hurst.

Representatives from the S.P.S. attended development appeals and made suggestions for the future of the district. As well as opposing planning proposals, the society played a large part in nature conservation in Sanderstead - for example, the protection of old trees and the planting of new ones. It was also responsible for the clearing out of Sanderstead Pond, the organisation of a new, pumped, water supply, and the improvement of the surrounding area. Not all campaigns, however, were successful. The Society failed to remove Sanderstead from Greater London, and to block plans for a roundabout at the top of Sanderstead Hill.

The society published a book in 1972 called The Story of Sanderstead, by Basil H. Tripp; and, in 1970, instigated the week long Sanderstead Festival. The S.P.S. was affiliated to the Council for the Preservation of Rural England, the Surrey Amenity Council, the Commons, Open Spaces and Footpaths Preservation Society and the Civic Trust.

The Presidents of the Sanderstead Preservation Society were Godfrey Talbot, a well-known B.B.C. reporter and commentator who lived in Sanderstead, from 1961-1975; followed by G.S. Smart (1975-?).

Selhurst High School for Boys

  • CB110
  • Corporate body
  • 1904

Opened in September 1904 as The Borough Secondary School for Boys in the Scarbrook Road premises occupied in the evenings by Croydon Polytechnic. The school moved to The Crescent, Selhurst in 1913, but returned to Scarbrook Road between 1915 and 1918 or 1919, while the school building was in use as a hospital. Renamed Selhurst Grammar School for Boys in 1922. The school became an age 14+ comprehensive from 1971, becoming known as Selhurst High School for Boys. It closed, because of falling rolls and reorganisation, in 1988.

Selhurst High School for Girls

  • CB108
  • Corporate body
  • 1904

Opened in September 1904 as The Borough Secondary School for Girls in the premises of the South Norwood branch of Croydon Polytechnic. The school moved to The Crescent, Selhurst in 1910, but returned to its earlier location during Wold War One, while the new school building was in use as a hospital. Renamed Selhurst Grammar School for Girls in 1922. In 1939, the school was evacuated to Hove, moved to Virginia Water in 1940 and later to The Beeches at Guildford. The school became an age 14+ comprehensive from 1971, becoming known as Selhurst High School for Girls. It closed, because of falling rolls and reorganisation, in 1988.

Selsdon Central School

  • CB107
  • Corporate body
  • 1931

Opened 31 August 1931. Later known as Selsdon County Secondary School. Closed August 1965.

Selsdon High School

  • CB106
  • Corporate body
  • 1988

The School opened as Monks Hill High School on 8 September 1970. It is a Mixed Comprehensive for the 11-16 age range.

In August 1988 the School changed its name to Selsdon High School.

Selsdon Players

  • CB185
  • Corporate body
  • 1920

The Selsdon Players were established during the development of Selsdon in the 1920s. They intended to perform two plays every year, with the intention of giving at least some of their performances in aid of charities. Their repertoire was largely formed of contemporary works, such as Spring Tide and We Got Rhythm. The group merged with the Croham Stagers (another local theatre group with similar aims and membership) in August 1963. The donor was a past vice-president and chairman of the Selsdon Players.

Selsdon Primary School

  • CB105
  • Corporate body
  • 1928

Selsdon Primary School opened on 7 May 1928 as Selsdon Temporary School also know as the Tin School with a roll of 69 pupils, 36 of the pupils being from the closed Sanderstead (now Gresham) School. The school was held in a temporary building and in the Baptist Church Hall until the present premises were ready on 31 August 1931.

Selsdon Central Secondary School occupied the first floor of the main building, with the primary school using the ground floor. After the closure of the secondary school in 1965, Selsdon Primary School has been the sole occupant of the buildings.

On 31 December 1993 the school became Grant Maintained and ceased to be a Local Authority responsibility until 1999 when it became a Foundation School.

Together with Riddlesdown High School and De Stafford College, the school became part of the Bourne Foundation in 1999 and Whyteleafe Primary School has since joined the Foundation.

Fox Cubs Nursery opened at Selsdon Primary School in the autumn of 2000.

Sidney Joseph Madge

  • P002
  • Person
  • 1874 -1961

Dr Sidney Joseph Madge D.Sc.,F.S.A., a local historian and Purley resident began work on the history of the district in 1890. He was Assistant Keeper of the books at the British Museum for many years and was also a co-opted member of Coulsdon and Purley UDC Library Committee 1944 - 48. In October 1952 he was presented with an illuminated address at the meeting of Coulsdon and Purley Council on Monday, as a token of the councils thanks for the long and fine work done by him in connection with the historical records of the district which he has given to the library. Dr Madge , in return, presented the chairman, Coun. A G V Page with an early history of the Manor of Coulsdon from Cuthred to the Crusades [SJM/2, Coulsdon and Purley Advertiser 31 October 1952 p.1 col.2]

At the time of his death on 3rd February 1961 he lived at 23 Russell Hill Road, Purley. There is a short obituary to be found in the Coulsdon and Purley Council minutes for 1960 - 61 vol. XLV1 p.959 which is held in the Local Studies Library.

Sir Thomas Edridge

  • P035
  • Person
  • 1818 - 1892

Sir Thomas Edridge (1814 - 1892) was a notable businessman of Croydon and was a director of the Hudson Bay Company. Edridge also performed philanthropic work within Croydon. At his own expense he built a new wing of the Croydon General Hospital and was actively involved in many institutions and legal boards. Edridge was Chairman of the County Bench, Chairman of Croydon General Hospital, Representative of the County Magistrate for the Whitgift Foundation and an official of the Croydon Board of Guardians. Edridge married Miss Martha Godbold and had four sons and two daughters. He died on 18 August 1892.

Smitham Primary School

  • CB104
  • Corporate body
  • 1886

Opened as Cane Hill Mission Room (Church of England) School in 1886. Its successor, Smitham Bottom School opened in new buildings in Malcolm Road in 1893. From 1905, when a new Smitham Bottom Mixed School was opened elsewhere, until reorganisation in 1932, only infants were accommodated. The school moved into new premises in 1991.

Soroptimist International Croydon and District

  • CB212
  • Corporate body
  • 1927 -

The Croydon Club was chartered in 1927, celebrating its 90th birthday in 2017, and is one of the oldest clubs in the organisation.
Soroptimist International is divided into four Federations: Europe, The Americas, South West Pacific and Great Britain and Ireland (SIGBI). Croydon Club is part of SIGBI which more or less includes all the former and current Commonwealth countries.

Croydon Club meets on the 2nd and 4th Thursday of each month (except August) 19:00 for 19:30. Unless otherwise stated, all meetings are held at the Shirley Park Golf Club, Addiscombe Road, Croydon CR0 7LB.

South Croydon Liberal Club

  • CB180
  • Corporate body
  • 1909-1948

According to the petty cash account book the address for the South Croydon Division of the Liberal Association was 3a George Street, Croydon. There is however no entry in the street directories covering the period of the clubs activity to coroborate this.The minutes would indicate that the club met at various venues in Croydon.

Results 526 to 550 of 679