Showing 696 results

Authority record

Selsdon Players

  • CB185
  • Corporate body
  • 1920

The Selsdon Players were established during the development of Selsdon in the 1920s. They intended to perform two plays every year, with the intention of giving at least some of their performances in aid of charities. Their repertoire was largely formed of contemporary works, such as Spring Tide and We Got Rhythm. The group merged with the Croham Stagers (another local theatre group with similar aims and membership) in August 1963. The donor was a past vice-president and chairman of the Selsdon Players.

Selsdon Primary School

  • CB105
  • Corporate body
  • 1928

Selsdon Primary School opened on 7 May 1928 as Selsdon Temporary School also know as the Tin School with a roll of 69 pupils, 36 of the pupils being from the closed Sanderstead (now Gresham) School. The school was held in a temporary building and in the Baptist Church Hall until the present premises were ready on 31 August 1931.

Selsdon Central Secondary School occupied the first floor of the main building, with the primary school using the ground floor. After the closure of the secondary school in 1965, Selsdon Primary School has been the sole occupant of the buildings.

On 31 December 1993 the school became Grant Maintained and ceased to be a Local Authority responsibility until 1999 when it became a Foundation School.

Together with Riddlesdown High School and De Stafford College, the school became part of the Bourne Foundation in 1999 and Whyteleafe Primary School has since joined the Foundation.

Fox Cubs Nursery opened at Selsdon Primary School in the autumn of 2000.

Sidney Joseph Madge

  • P002
  • Person
  • 1874 -1961

Dr Sidney Joseph Madge D.Sc.,F.S.A., a local historian and Purley resident began work on the history of the district in 1890. He was Assistant Keeper of the books at the British Museum for many years and was also a co-opted member of Coulsdon and Purley UDC Library Committee 1944 - 48. In October 1952 he was presented with an illuminated address at the meeting of Coulsdon and Purley Council on Monday, as a token of the councils thanks for the long and fine work done by him in connection with the historical records of the district which he has given to the library. Dr Madge , in return, presented the chairman, Coun. A G V Page with an early history of the Manor of Coulsdon from Cuthred to the Crusades [SJM/2, Coulsdon and Purley Advertiser 31 October 1952 p.1 col.2]

At the time of his death on 3rd February 1961 he lived at 23 Russell Hill Road, Purley. There is a short obituary to be found in the Coulsdon and Purley Council minutes for 1960 - 61 vol. XLV1 p.959 which is held in the Local Studies Library.

Sir Thomas Edridge

  • P035
  • Person
  • 1818 - 1892

Sir Thomas Edridge (1814 - 1892) was a notable businessman of Croydon and was a director of the Hudson Bay Company. Edridge also performed philanthropic work within Croydon. At his own expense he built a new wing of the Croydon General Hospital and was actively involved in many institutions and legal boards. Edridge was Chairman of the County Bench, Chairman of Croydon General Hospital, Representative of the County Magistrate for the Whitgift Foundation and an official of the Croydon Board of Guardians. Edridge married Miss Martha Godbold and had four sons and two daughters. He died on 18 August 1892.

Smitham Primary School

  • CB104
  • Corporate body
  • 1886

Opened as Cane Hill Mission Room (Church of England) School in 1886. Its successor, Smitham Bottom School opened in new buildings in Malcolm Road in 1893. From 1905, when a new Smitham Bottom Mixed School was opened elsewhere, until reorganisation in 1932, only infants were accommodated. The school moved into new premises in 1991.

Soroptimist International Croydon and District

  • CB212
  • Corporate body
  • 1927 -

The Croydon Club was chartered in 1927, celebrating its 90th birthday in 2017, and is one of the oldest clubs in the organisation.
Soroptimist International is divided into four Federations: Europe, The Americas, South West Pacific and Great Britain and Ireland (SIGBI). Croydon Club is part of SIGBI which more or less includes all the former and current Commonwealth countries.

Croydon Club meets on the 2nd and 4th Thursday of each month (except August) 19:00 for 19:30. Unless otherwise stated, all meetings are held at the Shirley Park Golf Club, Addiscombe Road, Croydon CR0 7LB.

South Croydon Liberal Club

  • CB180
  • Corporate body
  • 1909-1948

According to the petty cash account book the address for the South Croydon Division of the Liberal Association was 3a George Street, Croydon. There is however no entry in the street directories covering the period of the clubs activity to coroborate this.The minutes would indicate that the club met at various venues in Croydon.

South Norwood Ladies Swimming Club

  • CB127
  • Corporate body
  • 1883

South Norwood Ladies Swimming Club was formed in 1883 after a meeting at 'Sunnyside', South Norwood Park, the residence of Charles Horsley. This resulted in the inauguration of a club which, from the end of the nineteenth century until 1914, was the largest ladies swimming club in England, with a membership of over two hundred. At the time of its dissolution in 1934, after 51 years, it was also the oldest club of its kind. The club was based at the South Norwood Baths (Birchanger Road), and played a large part in the campaign for their modernisation from a small open-air bath to an enlarged covered facility, completed in 1913. Every year various activities were organised, including racing, other competitive events and the annual Entertainment (consisting of serious and light-hearted events). This did not take place during the years 1916-1919, when the Admiralty was using the baths to store the furniture of soldiers away fighting. Because of the War, membership of the Club fell from around 200 to 50 and never fully recovered. The problem was exacerbated by the coal strike in 1921 which meant that the baths were once again closed and the Entertainment had to be cancelled, whilst other clubs continued to function as normal; and also by changes in the district and the lack of younger members coming up to replace the Seniors. In 1934, with membership down to 33, the decision was taken to dissolve the Club.

During its existence, the Club attached great importance to the teaching of life-saving techniques, and a total of 157 awards from the Royal Life-Saving Society were gained by members. In addition, it was notable for being the first club to use a musical swimming drill; and for leading the way in the adoption of a practical ladies swimming costume.

The Honorary Secretaries of the club were:

Mrs. Horsley (1 year) 1883-1884

Mrs. Botterill (1 year) 1884-1885

Mrs. Lynch (3 years) 1885-1888

Mrs. Frederic Cooper (4 years) 1888-1892

Miss Mabel Cooper (7 years) 1892-1899

Miss Fannie Moore (26 years) 1899-1925

Mrs. Stuart Carter (1 year) 1925-1926

Mrs. Tom Sutton (7 years) 1926-1933

Miss Fannie Moore (1 year) 1933-1934

South Norwood Primary School

  • CB103
  • Corporate body
  • 1872

Station Road School opened 18 November 1872 and until 13 January 1873 took Infants and post Infants Girls. There was no Boys School at this time. From 13 January 1873 the Infants and Girls formed two separate schools.

The Girls and Infants moved into new buildings in May 1875 and this facilitated the opening on 24 May of a Senior Boys School and on 28 June of a Junior Mixed School. This closed on 10 September 1897 at which time, presumably, the Junior Boys and Girls were absorbed into the Senior Boys and Girl Schools, respectively. Throughout this period the schools were frequently expanded due to rising numbers.

In September 1931, the schools were reorganised, the Boys and Girls Schools thereafter only for Juniors of each sex and the Infants being combined with the Junior Girls. The Senior Girls and Boys were transferred elsewhere. From 01 September 1933 there was a temporary annexe in the Methodist Church Hall on Suffolk Road; this closed in the Summer of 1937 when new buildings were opened.

During WWII, the pupils were evacuated to Brighton and then, in July 1940, to New Haw, Chertsey, together with pupils from Gonville and Ingram Schools. They were later absorbed into local schools.

Rising numbers meant that separate Girls and Infants were set up again in 1953. This was followed in 1959 by the amalgamation of the Junior Boys and Junior Girls and in 1981 by the amalgamation of the Juniors with the Infants.

Southern Pathfinders

  • CB191
  • Corporate body
  • 1931

The Southern Pathfinders (often called 'Sopats') were a Croydon-based rambling club, founded in March 1931 by Victor Morecroft of Addiscombe. Early members were recruited through a letter published in the Croydon Advertiser, and at the end of the first year there were 111 members. The club disbanded during World War II, but was revived in 1946. Regular rambles, generally in Surrey, Sussex and Kent, were organised; and there were also night walks, tours lasting several days, and (until 1969) purely social events. The club is still active in 1997.

The Club was affiliated to various national countryside bodies, including the National Council of Ramblers Associations (afterwards the Ramblers Association), and the Youth Hostels Association. It was at a meeting organised by the club in December 1933 that the Croydon YHA, the first independent branch of the national organisation, was initiated.

Victor Morecroft (1899-1984) was the founder and first Hon Secretary of the club. He left in 1934; but returned in 1953 to become Chairman, then Vice-President from 1955, and President from 1977 until his death in 1984. Herbert Gatliff (1897-1977), a high-ranking but eccentric civil servant with numerous country interests, served as the first Chairman, and later as President, until his death in 1977: he devised the club motto, 'We wont go cosy'. Another important figure was Harold Ockenden (1908-1988), who succeeded Morecroft as Secretary in 1934, became Treasurer in 1946, and Vice-President from 1969 until his death in 1988: for most of this period, he also continued to act as Secretary.

Spring Lane Temporary Infants School

  • CB101
  • Corporate body
  • 1918

Opened in 1918 in Woodside Baptist Hall as an overflow school for either Woodside Infants School or Portland Road Infants School. Closed in 1921.

Spring Park Primary School

  • CB102
  • Corporate body
  • 1949

Opened as a primary school in 1949 for pupils aged 5 - 11. In August 1954, a separate infants school was opened. The infants and junior schools were amalgamated in 1998.

Results 551 to 575 of 696