Showing 696 results

Authority record

Toldene Primary School

  • CB097
  • Corporate body
  • 1957

Opened 3 September 1957. The school accommodated both infants and juniors throughout its history. Closed 18 July 1980, as a result of falling rolls.

Tollgate Primary School

  • CB096
  • Corporate body
  • 1976

The school was founded as a Primary School and opened on 16 June 1976. A Nursery Unit was created in September 1990. Tollgate Primary School was closed in July 2007.

Tomes Family

  • F014
  • Family
  • 1959 - 1961

The Hill Barn Open Air Theatre was in operation at Hill Barn, 101, Purley Downs Road, Purley. It put on 2 productions, one in 1960 and the second in 1961 before the property was sold to developers and the site forms part of the Maywater Close Development.

Tunstall Nursery School

  • CB095
  • Corporate body
  • 1970

In 1963, land between 25 and 33 Tunstall Road, measuring 0.097 acres and earlier occupied by two large garages, was purchased by the Corporation for 1633250 aand back land to 15 -39 Tunstall Road, measuring a further 0.46 acres, was purchased likewise for 1635000. The school was built in 1970 - 1 under the Urban Aid Programme with the contractor being W.J. Simms, Sons and Cooke Ltd, Sherwood House, Beddington Lane, Croydon.

Venturas Club

  • CB154
  • Corporate body
  • 1946

The Venturas Club was a youth club started by the Thornton Heath Ratepayers and Residents Association in c.1946. It continued until c.1958. Jeanne Joy (n233e Bamford) was a member and her late husband, Monty Joy, was Secretary and later Chairman. His brother Vic was also a member in the early days. Jeanne has written a detailed history of the Club which is included in the collection (see accession file).

Waddon Infant School

  • CB094
  • Corporate body
  • 1927

Opened as Waddon Infant and Junior School in Cooper Road, Waddon, on 16 May 1927. In 1930 the school was reorganised to form Waddon Infant School and Waddon Junior School. In 1934, the schools were again combined to form Waddon Infant and Junior School. The school was evacuated to East Grinstead, Sussex, in September 1939, with some children going to Exeter, Devon. The school returned to Waddon in December 1943. In 1952, Duppas Infant and Junior School was reorganised as a junior school and on 1 September 1953, Waddon Infant and Junior School became Waddon Infant School. The school moved from Cooper Road to new premises in Purley Way in August 1954.

Waghorne and Miles

  • F007
  • Family
  • 1789

The Waghorn(e) wheelwright and carriagebuilding family business probably originated with Samuel Waghom /, in the Limpsfield or Titsey area of Surrey. Samuel Waghome // (0 789-1858) moved to Croydon in about 1819. By 1826 he was associated with Richard Jones (an established coachbuilder) on the west side of the High Street; and by 1834 appears to have been running the business alone. His premises (numbered 83 High Street by 1851, renumbered 146 High Street in 1886, and renumbered 252 High Street in c1931) were to remain the firms headquarters for some eighty years. Samuel II died in October 1858, aged 69, but the business continued to be known as Samuel Waghorne, presumably run by his widow, Harriet (c1789-1867), and their son, Thomas (0822-1868). In Warrens Directory for 1865-6, the firm is named Waghorne and Son. A Harriet Waghome (probably a daughter) also worked as a milliner and dressmaker from the same address.

After the deaths in close succession of Harriet (senior) and Thomas, the business was taken over in 1868 by James T Miles, and renamed Waghome and Miles. The firm prospered in the latter part of the nineteenth century as a builder of superior carriages of various types. Its customers included various prominent members of the establishment, both from Croydon and from further afield. The firm undertook van and cart building on a separate site. From 1902 it also built motor car bodies.

In about 1906 the firm was bought up by Marchant and Sons, a firm of coachbuilders established at 34 Tamworth Road in about 1873. Marchant and Sons took over the High Street premises, and continued to operate from that address until the 1950s.

Walter Troake

  • P042
  • Person
  • 1901

Walter Troake joined Croydon Tramway Company, and was aboard Croydons first electric tram in September 1901. He was also on board the last electric tram to run in April 1951. He retired in 1943, and was appointed to serve as NALGO retired members liaison officer in 1945. This volume dated 1957, is in tribute to the 12 intervening years working for NALGO. He died in 1963, aged 85.

Results 626 to 650 of 696