Showing 696 results

Authority record

West Thornton Primary School

  • CB092
  • Corporate body
  • 1896 - 1995

Boston Road Schools were opened on 25 August 1896. In 1921 or 1922 they were remaned West Thornton. From 1896 until 1931 there were separate Departments for Infants, Post-Infant Girls and Post-Infant Boys. From 11 Sept 1931 Senior Boys and Girls went elsewhere leaving separate Departments for Infants, Junior Girls and Junior Boys. Then on 1 September 1955, the Junior Girls and Boys were combined into one Junior Mixed Department and on 1 September 1958 the Infants and Juniors were brought together to form one Primary School.

To summarise the above paragraph:

1896 - 1958 Infants

and

1896 - 1931 Post Infant Girls and Post Infant Boys

1931 - 1955 Junior Girls and Junior Boys

1955 - 1958 Junior Mixed

1958 onwards Primary

In September 1939 the schools were evacuated to Brighton, but re-opened in Boston Road in April 1940.

In April 1976 the school vacated its original premises in Boston Road and moved into premises earlier occupied by Lanfranc Girls School (Rosecourt Road).

Westwood High School

  • CB091
  • Corporate body
  • 1958

Founded 2 May 1905 as Ingram Road Senior Girls School. From 1922, known as Ingram Senior Girls School. Moved to Spurgeon Road in 1958 and became known as Westwood High School. It changed its name to Westwood Language College for Girls in 2002.

Whitehorse Manor Infants School

  • CB090
  • Corporate body
  • 1892

Opened 15 June 1892 as Whitehorse Road Infants School. Later became Whitehorse Manor Infants School.

Wildbores Infants School

  • CB089
  • Corporate body
  • 1872

Founded by 29 January 1872. First log book entitled Christ Church Wildbores National School. Closed probably in March 1921.

Wilkinson and Baldwin

  • F008
  • Family
  • 1639

Both men lived in Croydon area. Nicholas Baldwin was a shoemaker who died in 1639 and was buried on 17th Dec 1639

William C. Dendy

  • P001
  • Person
  • 1905-1911

At the time he wrote his history of Sanderstead, William C. Dendy was residing at Briarwood, Edgar Road, Sanderstead.

William Charles Berwick Sayers

  • P075
  • Person
  • 1881-1960

William Charles Berwick Sayers was a member of a small but remarkable group of librarians who distinguished the British public library service during the early decades of the Twentieth century. Most of his career was spent with Croydon Public Libraries, first as deputy to L. Stanley Jast, and then as Chief Librarian. But his work as a practising librarian, though well above average, and in its day outstanding in the provision of library services for children, was eclipsed by his success as a writer and teacher of librarianship, particularly in the field of library classification.

Results 651 to 675 of 696