Showing 721 results

Authority record

Ashburton Community School

  • CB026
  • Corporate body
  • 1931 - 2000

Opened as Ashburton Senior School, 7 September 1931 in Long Lane, Croydon. Reopened as Ashburton Secondary Modern School in Shirley Road, 4 April 1950. Boys and Girls departments became separate schools on 1 Jan 1952. The two schools then amalgamated to form Ashburton High School on 1 September 1970. The school was renamed Ashburton Community School in September 1999.

The school is moved to new buildings on the Shirley Road site in April 2006 as part of the Ashburton Learning Village project. The former school buildings on the Shirley Road will be demolished to make way for housing.

Ashburton Infant School

  • CB011
  • Corporate body
  • 1950 - 2009

Ashburton Infant School opened on 20 April 1950. Between July 1928 to April 1950 there had been a combined Junior and Infant School at the site on Long Lane. This had been known initially as Long Lane School.

Both Ashburton Infant and Ashburton Junior Schools closed in July 2009 and the buildings taken over by Oasis Academy, Shirley Park.

Ashburton Junior School

  • CB017
  • Corporate body
  • 1928 - 2009

Ashburton Junior School opened on 20 July 1928 and was known for the first few months as Long Lane School. It was a combined Junior and Infant School until 19 April 1950 and became a Junior School on 20 April 1950. Ashburton Senior School had opened on the same site in 1931 although it was a separate school administratively. It transferred to Shirley Road on 04 April 1950. Ashburton Junior School closed in July 2009 when the buildings transferred to Oasis Academy, Shirley Park.

Atwood Primary School

  • CB116
  • Corporate body
  • 1960

Atwood Primary School opened on 13 June 1960. On 31 August 1994 the school became Grant Maintained and ceased to have a Local Authority responsibility until 1999 when it became a Foundation School.

When the foundations for the School were being dug in 1960, the site was examined by archaeologists. The Sanderstead Archaeological Group, under the leadership of Roger Little, investigated the area and discovered Iron Age and Romano British occupation material, 500 BC to 200AD. Subsequent excavations by Gillian Batchelor, when the school was extended in the late 1980s, revealed an extensive early Roman area of occupation and resulted in the recovery of over 5000 pieces of 1st and 2nd century pottery.

Austin Bennett

  • P077
  • Person
  • c. 1919

Austin Bennett is listed in the Spring 1919 Absent Voters List.

BH Live

  • CB163
  • Corporate body
  • 2009-present

BH Live is a registered charity and social enterprise based in Bournemouth. It specialises in leisure and events and were appointed as operators of Fairfield Halls in July 2017.

Baldwin Latham

  • P041
  • Person
  • 1836 - 1917

Compiled by Baldwin Latham (1836-1917), a Croydon resident who was surveyor to Croydon Board of Health from 1863 to 1870. He left this post to start his own private practice as an engineer.Throughout this time he continued to live in Croydon. Extracts from the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography read; Latham, Baldwin a civil engineer and meteorologist, was born on 6 December 1836 in Nantwich, Cheshire, the son of George Latham, architect and surveyor. After attending Nantwich grammer school he entered his fathers office in 1851, and served the usual three-year pupillage as a civil engineer. He then moved to Sandiway, Cheshire, to work for three years with the contractors Douglas and Beckett before joining Joseph Glyn, a civil engineer and fellow of the Royal Society, in the Fens at Ely. In 1860 Latham went into business on his own account in Ely, and on 24 November 1863 he married Ann Elizabeth, daughter of William Neal, draper, of Ely, with whom he moved to Croydon and raised a large family....By 1868 Latham had designed the sewerage, irrigation, and water works for fifteen English towns. He had also begun a series of nearly forty papers reporting on these and related matter....Latham is best remembered for his contributions to public water supply, particularly in the Croydon area. His book, Sanitary Engineering, a Guide to the Construction of Sewerage and House Drainage (1873, and 2nd edn, 1878) was regarded as a classic in its day. In the latter part of his life, he analysed the parish records of Croydon from their commencement in 1538 to identify deaths caused by water-borne diseases. He constructed from his summary of the state of the Croydons water year by year to 1900. His interest in the characteristics of the districts hydrology continued undiminished, and they formed the subject of the last paper he gave, to the Croydon Natural History and Philosophical Society. It was in press when Latham died, on 13 March 1917, at his home, Park Hill House, Stanhope Road, Croydon, aged eighty-one: he suffered from phlebitis and a pulmonary embolism. He was buried at Croydon cemetery on 19 March. He was survived by his wife.

Barbara M.Cooper

  • P048
  • Person
  • 1949 - 1950

Barbara M. Cooper lived in Purley and recorded in this diary a weekly record of bird movements in and around a local small wood. She recorded her diary between Dec 1949 - Jul 1950.

Beaumont Primary School

  • CB109
  • Corporate body
  • 1920

The school originated in 1858 as part of the Asylum for Fatherless Children. From 1904 it was known as Reedham Orphanage and by 1917 there were 310 pupils on the roll.

Shortage of funds after World War 1 caused the school to be taken over by the LEA on 1 September 1920, the then Headmaster H.E. Clarke remaining in post.

Pupils were evacuated to Aspley, Nottingham, 18 July 1944 to 18 June 1945.

By 1950 numbers had dropped to approximately 200 and the school was opened to local children who increasingly outnumbered those from Reedham Orphanage.

The school transferred to a new building and opened as Beaumont Primary School on 1 September 1968. The school was finally closed and demolished in 1980.

Beulah Infant School

  • CB088
  • Corporate body
  • 1873

By 1864 there was a Surrey Congregational Union Chapel on the site of the present school. It was then in use as a school room. The Croydon School Board took over the building on 1 August 1871 and it was used as a girls and infants school until 1873 when the infants moved to a separate room. The Infant School became a separate entity on 20 January 1873. It is currently known as Beulah Infant and Nursery School.

Results 51 to 75 of 721