Station Road School opened 18 November 1872 and until 13 January 1873 took Infants and post Infants Girls. There was no Boys School at this time. From 13 January 1873 the Infants and Girls formed two separate schools.
The Girls and Infants moved into new buildings in May 1875 and this facilitated the opening on 24 May of a Senior Boys School and on 28 June of a Junior Mixed School. This closed on 10 September 1897 at which time, presumably, the Junior Boys and Girls were absorbed into the Senior Boys and Girl Schools, respectively. Throughout this period the schools were frequently expanded due to rising numbers.
In September 1931, the schools were reorganised, the Boys and Girls Schools thereafter only for Juniors of each sex and the Infants being combined with the Junior Girls. The Senior Girls and Boys were transferred elsewhere. From 01 September 1933 there was a temporary annexe in the Methodist Church Hall on Suffolk Road; this closed in the Summer of 1937 when new buildings were opened.
During WWII, the pupils were evacuated to Brighton and then, in July 1940, to New Haw, Chertsey, together with pupils from Gonville and Ingram Schools. They were later absorbed into local schools.
Rising numbers meant that separate Girls and Infants were set up again in 1953. This was followed in 1959 by the amalgamation of the Junior Boys and Junior Girls and in 1981 by the amalgamation of the Juniors with the Infants.