- Corporate body
Opened 23 May 1932.
Opened 23 May 1932.
The school was originally Riddlesdown School, described as the National School for Kenley and Caterham Junction District and situated on the triangle of land between Godstone and Downs Court Roads. On 14 August 1888, the Charity Commissioners agreed the sale of the school and the purchase money was used to erect Purley National Mixed Schools on a different site in Purley High Street. In August 1889, the school moved into its new premises and the Infants and Juniors were separated. The school was renamed Purley National.
The Infants and Juniors from Riddlesdown School were transferred to the new building on 19 August 1889. When the first Headmistress of the Infants, Miss E.A.Bishop, retired 43 years later, the Infants and Juniors were combined on the same site to form Purley Church of England Junior Mixed and Infant School. This was renamed Christ Church (CE) School in 1935.
In 1962 the High Street Purley building was abandoned and the school moved to its present premises.
Founded 1857. By 25 March 1863 there was an infants school; by 27 March 1863, a boys school and 20 April 1863 a girls school. The schools were taken over by the Education Committee, 1 October 1903. On 1 April 1923, the schools were reorganised. After that date the juniors and infants were combined, the senior girls formed a second school and the senior boys went to St Saviours. On 8 January 1934 the schools were again reorganised, the juniors and infants remaining as one school and the senior girls going elsewhere. The school closed in July 1958 because of lack of money for necessary repairs.
The jurisdiction of the Coroner for the County Borough of Croydon lasted from 1883 to 1965 (initially as the Borough of Croydon, 1883 - 1889). Before 1883, Croydon came under the jurisdiction of the Coroner for Surrey until 1825 and for the Eastern Division of Surrey 1825 - 1883.
Since 1965, Croydon has fallen under the jurisdiction of HM Coroner for the Southern District of Greater London which covers the London Boroughs of Croydon, Sutton, Bromley and Bexley and is based at the Coroners Court, Barclay Road, Croydon, CR0 1JN.
By 1834 there was a school held in a cottage and supported entirely by the Rector, the Reverend William Wood of St. John the Evangelist in Old Coulsdon. He applied for a grant on 25 March in that year towards it becoming a National School. In 1845, Thomas Byron III, the Lord of the Manor, gave a parcel of land being part of a garden as a site for a school for poor persons and for the residence of Schoolmaster or Schoolmistress133and for no other purpose whatever. But the Mistress, Ann Webb, continued to live in a nearby cottage, the schoolhouse being occupied by William G. Shepard, a schoolmaster who was only 18 at the time of the 1851 census.
By 1846 there was a National School of 80 mixed pupils, with a master and mistress in two rooms. The school was described as a School of Industry and the master received 1d per week per boy and 3 hours gratuitous labour each afternoon on his land in return for instruction in the morning. It was the only school in the area, meaning that some of the children had to walk for miles to get there, even as far as Hooley and Kenly.
The building and site were privately owned and remained so until October 1923 when they were conveyed to the Rector by a Canon Dickson who had acquired them from the Lord of the Manor. This was probably not the same building or site as that of 1845, an exchange of site being affected by the Lord of the Manor in 1888 and a new building then being erected thereon.
On 19 September 1939 the school transferred to the Keston School buildings and remained there 7 January 1946 with the exception of the period 3 June to the 23 August 1940, when the school was briefly based at the Purley Girls School.
The school commenced on 4 April 1933 as a Day Nursery and on 1 July 1946 as a Nursery School. The initial premises was a private bungalow in Woodman Road. It was founded by Mrs Finn who had advanced ideas on nursery education. Later, a bungalow, Greenacres, was built in Linden Avenue and the Nursery was built in its garden; the Nursery staff slept in the bungalow.
The school came under the Authority of the London Borough of Croydon in 1964.
A Trust was established in 1953 by the Charity Commission Scheme, for the Regulation of a charity to be known as the Coulsdon and District Day Nursery.
The school has shared a governing body with Chipstead Valley Primary School.
In 1883 Croydon recieved a charter of incorporation to become a borough and became a County Borough in 1889. County Borough Status meant that the Borough was responsible for all its own services such as Fire, Police, Education etc. rather than these being provided at County level by Surrey.
The Borough of Croydon was awarded a separate Court of Quarter Sessions by grant of Queen Victoria, dated 25 June 1889 (i.e. shortly after Croydon had achieved County Borough status). The Court came to an end with the County Borough in April 1965. Quarter Sessions Courts dealt with criminal cases, and with licensing matters.
Opened 1 January 1969. The School has always been for both Infant and Juniors.
Croham Hurst was owned by the Whitgift Foundation. In 1898, it became known that the Whitgift Governors wished to dispose of the area. The lower slopes were to be developed and the remainder of the top offered to the Council.
This proposal would have resulted in half of the Hurst being built upon and the rest being enclosed behind a high fence. The proposals caused outrage and the Croham Hurst Preservation Committee was formed. Their campaign was backed by the local press and included the collecting of a petition in 1899 that was given to the Council and which forms the basis of this collection.
On 8th February 1901, the Whitgift Foundation sold the whole of Croham Hurst to Croydon Corporation and the future of the area was assured.
The photograph album was presented to Edward A Martin, FGS (1863 - 1943) by members of the Croham Hurst Preservation Committee, as an expression of thanks for instituting the movement preventing the sale of Croham Hurst for building.