Showing 694 results

Authority record

The Croydon Branch of the Historical Association

  • CB139
  • Corporate body
  • 1955

The Croydon Branch of the Historical Association was established in February 1955. It organised a programme of regular lectures and excursions for its members, and occasional purely social events. In the period covered by these minutes, some activities were carried out jointly with the Croydon Natural History and Scientific Society, and/or the Beckenham Branch of the Historical Association. As a result of poor attendances, the Branch was eventually wound up as from October 1994.

Mr L Woolnough

  • P018
  • Person
  • 1947

The visit to Arnhem was organised under the auspices of the Anglo Netherlands Sports Partnership. As well as the Mayor and Mayoress (Ald. and Mrs H.Regan, (who broke her wrist during the trip)), the party consisted of Ald and Mrs Lewin, Councillor Turner and other members of the Committee plus 17 table tennis players under Mrs C.A.Bourne and a football team managed Mr Mr S.A.Browne and captained by Fred Stevenson. Croydon played three football matches, winning the second and losing the first and third.

As well as various visits, including the Airborne Cemetery at Oosterbeck and the Arnhem Bridge, the Croydon party marched in procession through the streets of Wageningen on Easter Sunday. A report of the visit appears in the Croydon Times, 19 April 1947. L.Woolnough, of the Norbury team, was a member of the football team. (CT 12 April 1947) and was then resident at 28 Weybridge Avenue, Thornton Heath.

Winterbourne Girls School

  • CB140
  • Corporate body
  • 1931

This book records a school visit to Sussex made by 47 girls (aged roughly 9-13) from Winterbourne Girls School, Croydon, over the fortnight 8-22 May 1931. The mistresses in charge were Miss JE Cash (the headmistress), Miss Townley, and Miss Cook. The group stayed in Seaford, but also visited Lewes, Newhaven, Cuckmere, Beachy Head, Alfriston, West Dean, etc. They studied various aspects of the area, including nature, history, geography, etc. This was the third year that the school had made such a trip, and was also the last, as in April 1932 the school was reorganised for Junior Girls onl

George Harrison Wright

  • P019
  • Person
  • 1929

Records are presumed to be a study aid; Mr Wright worked for Croydon County Borough.

Thomas Matthews

  • P020
  • Person
  • 1870

The proposal to establish a Unitarian place of worship in Croydon was first made at a meeting of six gentlemen held on 20 May 1870 at the house of Maurice Grant. As a result, a congregation was formed under the title of Croydon Free Christian Church: the word Unitarian was deliberately avoided in order to avoid any suggestion of doctrinal allegiance. RR Suffield was appointed as Minister, and gave his first address on 2 October: he continued to serve until his resignation through ill health in 1877. The government of the church was placed in the hands of a General Purposes Committee, soon known simply as the Committee. Other committees included a Trust Deed Committee, a Finance Committee, and a Music Committee.

The congregation bought the Iron Church (formerly a Baptist Church) in Wellesley Road. It was opened as the Free Christian Church on 11 December 1870. The freehold of the land was bought in 1875. Subsequently, a new, permanent, church was built on the same site: the memorial stone was laid on 20 April 1883, and it was formerly opened on 17 November 1883. The Iron Church had been moved to the rear of the new building: it was renamed the Social Room, and was put to regular use for soirees, dances, childrens parties, etc.

The Church attracted a relatively small, educated, middle class congregation, and its early ministers included several capable intellectuals. However, relations between minister and congregation were sometimes turbulent. EM Geldart, after some years as a popular minister, antagonised many of his congregation when he began to preach a doctrine of Social Democracy: the strain affected his health, and he died in mysterious circumstances soon afterwards. His successor, CJ Street, resigned over differences of opinion with the congregation; WM Weston was criticised for some of his views (notably an address advocating the abolition of the traditional home), and resigned to rejoin the Roman Catholic Church; and WW Chynoweth Pope was asked to resign following a difficult period of declining attendances. Only after the appointment of GC Sharpe in 1921 did relations become more consistently harmonious.

Among the prominent early members of the congregation were Henry Moore and his family. In 1906 his son, H Keatley Moore, paid an official visit during his term of office as Mayor

The Church was badly damaged during World War 2; and, as a result, a new Church and hall were built in Friends Road in 1958. In 1960 the Church was renamed the Unitarian and Free Christian Church.

Mr and Mrs R C Thomas

  • F003
  • Family
  • 1929

Mr Ralph Cachemaille Thomas married Miss Elsie Florence Uffindell on August 31st 1929 at St Clements Church, Great Ilford. They celebrated their silver wedding anniversery on 31st August 1954 when they were living at 112 Fairlands Avenue, Thornton Heath.

John Hook

  • P022
  • Person
  • 1903 - 1945

Ledgers of John Hook, Undertaker and Monumental Mason, of 28 Selhurst Road, South Norwood SE25.

Loxton and Ward Family

  • F004
  • Family
  • 1886

The Loxton and Ward families have a connection with the Bird in the Hand Public House , Sydenham Road, Croydon through the donors grandmother Hilda Annie Loxton (nee Ward) who was at one time the proprietor. The 1886 street directory lists the Bird in the Hand as 51 Sydenham Road North with George Ward, her father, as proprietor. Her name first appears as such in the 1909 street directory, as Mrs Loxton. She married Frederick Percival Duckering 12 June 1928. Thereafter the entry in the 1932 street directory reads Mrs Duckering at 239. She last appears in the 1937 street directory at 291 and 293. By 1939 the entry reads F J Stratford.

Croydon Foundry Ltd

  • CB142
  • Corporate body
  • 1920

Croydon Foundry was established in 1920 in what was then Waddon Marsh Lane: its premises became 66 Purley Way in 1924. The company manufactured iron engineering castings, up to 6 tons in weight. It went into voluntary liquidation in December 1972.

Woodford School

  • CB143
  • Corporate body
  • 1867

Woodford School was a private day-school for girls. A few boarders were also taken. Boys were taught in the preparatory classes. The school originated in 1867, established by Miss Annie Waters, who was joined shortly afterwards by her sister, Jennie Waters. It was originally located in the family home at 9 George Street, Croydon; but in 1878 the family and school moved into a new house at 8 Dingwall Road. This was named Woodford House after the village of Woodford, Wilts, where the family originated. The school subsequently expanded into the two neighbouring houses, 7 and 9 Dingwall Road. The Misses Waters retired in 1900, and Miss AHB Walford became headmistress; she was succeeded in 1927 by Miss Mary Horsley, an old girl of the school, who had taught there since 1919. The name changed in 1916 from Woodford House School to Woodford School. The school went into decline during World War 2. The Senior School closed in 1942; and, after Mary Horsley died in 1945, the surviving Junior School also closed.

The Old Girls Association (WOGA) was established in March 1902. It went into abeyance during World War 2; and was wound up after the death of Miss Horsley, and the closure of the school, in 1945. It was revived in 1951 by Phyllis Fretwell (nee Densham) and Valerie Williams, who became joint secretaries. It established strong links with Mary Horsleys sisters, Misses Margaret and Gwendolen (Dee) Horsley: Margaret, who had been Secretary of the school, was elected President of WOGA. The Association was finally wound up in 1984.

Margot Sanders

  • P024
  • Person
  • 1923 - 1959

Margot Sanders (c1923-c1959) was the second daughter of Mr and Mrs LW Sanders (?of 68 Grosvenor Avenue, Carshalton Beeches). She left Woodford School in late 1939, and went to work for the Legal and General Assurance Co. By 1944 she was serving in the WRNS. After the war she married Edward Gasior (a Polish soldier stationed at Norton Camp), and they emigrated to Canada in about 1948: they had two children, Simon and Anna. Margot died in Canada in c1959. . Her parents retired to Taunton in 1946, but her father later returned to live with his elder daughter in Carshalton. (Sources: The Woodfordian; and a note on the end flyleaf of the report book).

Woodford School was a private girls school in Dingwall Road. It was founded in 1867, and closed in 1945.

Mrs Evelyn May Sandison

  • P025
  • Person
  • 1938

The Womens Voluntary Service (W.V.S.) was initiated in June 1938 by the Dowager Marchioness of Reading. Its aim was to mobilise and make use of as many of the countries women as possible. In April 1942 the Housewives service was established to take over the outdoor air raid work of the W.V.S. Its main responsibilities were to tend for the injured and distressed, to help with clean up operations and to ensure those who needed to were rehoused. The W.V.S. continued after the war and in 1952 after her accession to the throne, Queen Elizabeth II became its new Patron. In 1966 it was decided that the word Royal should be granted to the service thus the Womens Voluntary Service became the Womens Royal Voluntary Service (W.R.V.S.) The service still continues today and is responsible for such services as Meals on Wheels, Child Contact Centres, hospital and prison visits and national disaster assistance.

The wife of Dr. Alexander Sandison, Mrs Evelyn May Sandison was the (W.V.S.) Deputy Housewives Organiser for the County Borough of Croydon.

The Housewives Service in Croydon was established to reinforce the work of the local Wardens and Casualty Service by tending to the injured and distressed, running Incident Inquiry Points to help people find missing relatives and to assess the extent of damage to buildings. They also helped to clear rubble from incident sites and to find new homes for those in need. The Housewives Service were often the first to arrive at a crash site as they lived locally and therefore were seen as an invaluable service especially as many members ran Aid Houses from their own homes where medical supplies were kept in case of emergency.

Powers Accounting Machines Ltd

  • CB144
  • Corporate body
  • 1942-1973

The 32nd Surrey (Factory) Battalion of the Home Guard guarded the factory estates around the Purley Way. E Company covered the northern part of Mitcham Road. The Company was based around the personnel of Powers Accounting Machines Ltd, whose original works were in Aurelia Road (although they also had a recently-acquired factory further down the Purley Way). The Company commander was Major Leslie E Brougham (in civilian life, a senior manager at Powers).

Martin and Stevens Family

  • F005
  • Family
  • 1915

Private William Frederick Martin was born in Clapham, the son of Mr. Ernest John and Mrs. A. A. Martin, later of 54 Priory Road, West Croydon, Surrey. In the First World War he fought for the Queens 2nd Battalion of the Royal West Surrey Regiment. He was killed in action at Festubert whilst serving with the British Expeditionary Force on the 16th May 1915 at the age of 19. His grave is unknown but there is a memorial to him at Le Touret Military Cemetery in France.

Sergeant Frederick William Stevens was born at Godstone, the son of Fred William and Louisa Elizabeth Stevens of 2, Jubilee Terrace, Dorking. He was a member of the Queens 1st Battalion of the Royal West Surrey Regiment during the First World War but died on Wednesday 16th January 1918 at the age of 23. He is buried in Dorking Cemetery in Surrey.

Henry George Stevens was an Ordinary Seaman on H.M.S. Queen Mary he died at sea on Wednesday 31st May 1916, and having no grave, he is mentioned on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial in Hampshire.

Private William Stevens was also a member of the 1st Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment.

J W Jones

  • P026
  • Person
  • 1897 - 1968

Mr J W Jones (1897-1968) of Nottinghamshire was a professional footballer with Notts County, Brighton and Hove, Crystal Palace and Macclesfield.

Jean Baptiste Say

  • P027
  • Person
  • 1767 - 1832

Jean Baptiste Say (1767-1832) became eminent in France as a political economist, in the tradition of Adam Smith. He spent part of his youth in England, and was sent again by the French government in 1814 to study the economics of England.

Croham Hurst Preservation Committee

  • CB147
  • Corporate body
  • 1901

Croham Hurst was owned by the Whitgift Foundation. In 1898, it became known that the Whitgift Governors wished to dispose of the area. The lower slopes were to be developed and the remainder of the top offered to the Council.

This proposal would have resulted in half of the Hurst being built upon and the rest being enclosed behind a high fence. The proposals caused outrage and the Croham Hurst Preservation Committee was formed. Their campaign was backed by the local press and included the collecting of a petition in 1899 that was given to the Council and which forms the basis of this collection.

On 8th February 1901, the Whitgift Foundation sold the whole of Croham Hurst to Croydon Corporation and the future of the area was assured.

Croham Hurst Preservation Society

  • CB148
  • Corporate body
  • 1901 - 1987

The photograph album was presented to Edward A Martin, FGS (1863 - 1943) by members of the Croham Hurst Preservation Committee, as an expression of thanks for instituting the movement preventing the sale of Croham Hurst for building.

Elsie Turrell

  • P028
  • Person
  • 1927

Elsie Susan Turrell trained as a midwife at St Marys Maternity Hospital, Croydon, and gained her State Certificate of midwifery (no. 71300) on 26 May 1927, before going into full-time practice. In June 1937 (under arrangements introduced by the Midwives Act, 1936) the County Borough of Croydon appointed her a Municipal Midwife; and then, in April 1938, a Deputy Superintendent Midwife. She was based at the Municipal Clinic in Lodge Road. In 1950, she married Dr John Black, and gave up full-time work. However, she remained on the Midwives Roll, and continued to practice on an occasional basis, initially based at Nelson Hospital, Merton; and later at Beechfield Nursing Home, Bramley Hill, Croydon.

Norwood Cottage Hospital

  • CB149
  • Corporate body
  • 1882

Norwood Cottage Hospital was opened on 21 October 1882 at Hermitage Road, Upper Norwood and the first patient admitted on 01 November 1882. By the middle of 1883, it was treating a wide variety of cases with an average of just over eight patients a day. It was extended in 1932.

The hospital was run on a charitable basis until 1948 when it was transferred to the National Health Service. It changed itas name to Norwood and District Cottage Hospital in 1953.

Norwood and District Cottage Hospital closed in September 1984 and the buildings were converted to become the Canterbury Centre.

William Page

  • P029
  • Person
  • 1810

William Page was born on 24 December 1810, the son of Maurice Page, a fishmonger of Middle Row, Croydon. He worked with and eventually took over from his father, and moved the business to premises at 14 High Street. He was suceeded in turn by his own son, William Robert Page, before the business was sold in about 1883. William Page died on 15 February 1892, at the age of 82, leaving two sons and two daughters.

In later life, Page became a well-known member of local society, and chairman of the Old Croydon Tradesmens Society. He was particularly known for his longstanding memories of the town. In 1880, he wrote down some of his recollections in the present manuscript. When he died in 1892, it was suggested that he must have mislaid these [notes], for, to our knowledge, no one has ever seen them [Croydon Advertiser, 20 Feb 1892]. They were apparently rediscovered soon afterwards, however, and in July 1893 were bound as a vellum-covered volume, at the expense of the grateful recipient of his kindness (possibly John Ollis Pelton). In 1921, the manuscript was in the possession of Pages son, William Robert Page, who lent it to FW Moore (chairman of Croydon Public Libraries Committee) for copying. William Robert Page died in January 1938, and it may then have passed to his friend and executor, John Ollis Pelton, who, in turn, died in December. The manuscript was recieved by Croydon Library in February 1939.

Page was consulted by Jesse Ward when he was compiling Croydon in the Past (1883); and by John Ollis Pelton when writing Relics of Old Croydon (1891). This manuscript was transcribed by FW Moore in 1921: he incorporated the bulk of the text, in sections, into his collation of the antiquarian notebooks of CW Johnson ( now in Croydon Archives Service)

Frederick Alfred Dunn

  • P030
  • Person
  • 1939

Frederick Alfred (Alf) Dunn lived at 5 Downsview Gardens, Upper Norwood with his wife Rose Alice Dunn. They had two sons, Fred and Reg, and a dog (?), Chum. In November 1939, Alf Dunn became a gunner in the Royal Artillery, based at the North Raglan Barracks, Devonport, Devon: he was training until 13 December 1939, and then joined B Battery. He remained in Devonport until 2 April 1940, when his unit left for France.

Alfs army number was 1516659. His unit was described as No.2 Battery 23rd M H Training Regiment, Royal Artillery until 13 December 1939; and thereafter No.9 B Battery 23rd M H Regiment Royal Artillery.

At the beginning of the correspondence, Fred and Reg were away from home (evacuated?). Reg came home in December, but Fred was ill, went into hospital in Brighton, and did not return home until March 1940.

The Public Assistance Office

  • CB150
  • Corporate body
  • 1930

The Public Assistance Office, a department of the Borough Council, was in existence from 1930 (when the responsibilities of the Board of Guardians were transferred to the local authority) until 1948 (when the work passed to the new Welfare Services Committee of the Council, the Ministry of National Insurance, and the National Health service). It was responsible for a range of welfare activities, including poor relief, medical services, and the care of children and old people. Its offices were in Mayday Road. During World War 2, many of the staff volunteered or were called up into the services. The Mayday Monthly News Letter (edited by Mr JS Cashel) was begun in April 1942 as a means of keeping them in touch with their friends and colleagues. It continued publication until the end of the war.

Woodside Fire Station

  • CB151
  • Corporate body
  • 1961

Mr Albert Riddle, late husband of the donor, was formerly a fireman posted from training school to Woodside in 1961.

At the time Woodside was one of the four fire stations that made up the Croydon Fire Brigade. They were

No 1 station, Old Town, Croydon (HQ)

No 2 station, Long Lane, Woodside

No 3 station, Brigstock Road, Thornton Heath

No 4 station, Lodge Lane, New Addington

Plus No 5 station which was the Auxiliary fire station attached to No 1 station at Old Town.

Croydon Fire Brigade was merged into the London Fire Brigade in 1965.

Ronald Arthur Huitson

  • P031
  • Person
  • 1916 - 1986

Ronald Arthur Huitson (1916-1986) and his wife Muriel Huitson (1915 - 1987) were active members of the Industrial Studies and Local History sections of the Croydon Natural History Society and also of GLIAS. They organised numerous visits to then still functioning industrial concerns, both within Croydon and elsewhere. They also did a considerable amount of recording work and photography at industrial premises, and historical research.

Results 126 to 150 of 694