Showing 701 results

Authority record

Powers Accounting Machines Ltd

  • CB144
  • Corporate body
  • 1942-1973

The 32nd Surrey (Factory) Battalion of the Home Guard guarded the factory estates around the Purley Way. E Company covered the northern part of Mitcham Road. The Company was based around the personnel of Powers Accounting Machines Ltd, whose original works were in Aurelia Road (although they also had a recently-acquired factory further down the Purley Way). The Company commander was Major Leslie E Brougham (in civilian life, a senior manager at Powers).

Portland Road School

  • CB012
  • Corporate body
  • 1902 - 1986

Founded 8 April 1902 as Portland Road Infants School. Known as Portland Infants School, 1922 - 1968. Admitted older children for the first time and became Ryelands Primary School in 1968.

Phyllis Devereux

  • P039
  • Person
  • 1914

Phyllis Devereux was born on 14th March 1914 in London, the third of six children. After a period of living in Wales, she moved to Shirley in 1920.

In 1930, she started work as a draughtswoman for The Metal Propellor Company, Purley Way and later worked for the London Passenger Transport Board at Thornton Heath Pond followed by a period with Engineering, a technical journal. During the war, she worked for the Royal Dutch Shell Oil Company at Teddington followed by periods of employment with the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company and the Kuwait Oil Company. Between 1949 and her retirement in 1970, she worked at the Geological Museum, Knightsbridge. She currently lives in Caterham.

Parish Church Junior School

  • CB033
  • Corporate body
  • 1862 - 1980

Parish Church National School for girls existed by December 1862, with presumably a similar school for boys. The school was initially called St Johns. On 23 January 1882, a boys school was established by the Rt. Rev. Bishop Tufnell, vicar of Croydon, according to the log book that commences in 1894, which may mean that any earlier school had lapsed. By 1882 and until 1884, the boys school was held in the Pitlake Mission Hall, Westfield Road. A log book commencing in the latter year indicates that by then there was a separate infants school (also called St Johns). The 1884 building stood at the junction of Church Road and Old Palace Road and accommodated boys, girls and infants in three separate departments. The immediate increase in numbers was such that, in October 1886, the newly-erected Welcome Hall, Scarbrook Road, had to be taken into use as an annexe. This was the boys school from 1894 until 1924. In January 1924, the boys school returned to the old building and the junior girls and infants schools were combined. In 1949, the juniors and infants were combined under one head. A further reorganisation in 1966 resulted in the creation of separate infants and junior mixed [boys and girls] schools.

Oval Primary School

  • CB034
  • Corporate body
  • 1873 - 1984

Founded as four schools in 1873: Oval Road Senior Boys School opened on 29 April 1873; (the word Road was dropped from the titles of the schools in 1922); Oval Road Junior School and Oval Road Infants School on 29 September 1873 and Oval Road Senior Girls School on 6 October 1873. On 26 June 1905, the senior boys school and the junior school were amalgamated under the senior boys headmaster. During World War One, this school moved to Tamworth Road to make way for Davidson Girls, whose building was in use as a hospital. In May 1918, it transferred to the Adult School, Park Lane. In April 1921, the senior boys school and the junior school were separated and the the senior boys and senior girls schools were amalgamated to form Oval Road Senior Mixed [boysand girls] School. Between April 1930 and September 1931, the buildings of this school were demolished and rebuilt on the same site.The school reopened on 7 September 1931. On 31 August 1948, the school closed and pupils were transferred to Davidson and Tavistock schools. Also in April 1921, the junior and infants schools had been combined under the infants head. Between April 1930 and September 1931, the buildings of this school were demolished and rebuilt on the same site; the pupils being accommodated at St Marys Hall, Oval Road, St Matthews Hall, George Street and Causton Memorial Hall, Cross Street. The new building was occupied on 30 November 1931. On 1 January 1949, the infants and juniors became separate schools and the previous head of the mixed school became head of the new junior school. On 1 January 1981, as a result of falling rolls, the infants and junior schools were again amalgamated under the infants school head.

Norwood Cottage Hospital

  • CB149
  • Corporate body
  • 1882

Norwood Cottage Hospital was opened on 21 October 1882 at Hermitage Road, Upper Norwood and the first patient admitted on 01 November 1882. By the middle of 1883, it was treating a wide variety of cases with an average of just over eight patients a day. It was extended in 1932.

The hospital was run on a charitable basis until 1948 when it was transferred to the National Health Service. It changed itas name to Norwood and District Cottage Hospital in 1953.

Norwood and District Cottage Hospital closed in September 1984 and the buildings were converted to become the Canterbury Centre.

Norwood Auxilliary of British and Foreign Bible Soceity

  • CB126
  • Corporate body
  • 1838 - 1938

The Norwood Ladies Bible Association was founded on 5 September 1838, at the Chapel Road Congregational Church, West (then Lower) Norwood. It was presumably originally an independent body; but by the 1850s (if not earlier) it was affiliated to the British and Foreign Bible Society (founded 1804). By 1866, it was known as the Norwood Ladies Auxiliary to the BFBS. In 1895, the Auxiliary was reconstituted, and at the same time became a less exclusively ladies body: it was renamed the Norwood Auxiliary; a President (Ernest Tritton) and Vice-Presidents (most of the Anglican and nonconformist ministers of West and Upper Norwood) were appointed for the first time; and it also acquired a male Secretary and Financial Secretary.

The Associations stated object in its early days was to aid 'the circulation of the Bible in its own neighbourhood and throughout the world'. Initially, its main work was to encourage the spread of the Bible in Norwood: bibles were sold for weekly or monthly payments from a penny upwards. Later, although it continued to have some involvement in the local sale of bibles, the Auxiliary became more concerned with fundraising on behalf of the parent Society, to further the publication of the Bible in an increasing number of languages, and the sale and distribution of copies overseas. Fundraising was achieved through collections from individual church congregations, supplemented by subscriptions, work sales, collections made at lectures on missionary work, etc.

The Auxiliary had a Juvenile Association, and was associated with the Norwood Bible Union.

The Auxiliary was closely associated for many years with the Tritton family (who were responsible for saving many of these records). Joseph Tritton (a banker) and his wife Amelia lived in Norwood from about 1850. Mrs Tritton served as Treasurer of the Auxiliary from 1853 until her death in 1908. She was succeeded by her daughter, Jessie M Tritton, already an active worker for the Auxiliary, who was Treasurer 1908-1925. Joseph (d 1887), a prominent Baptist, was a Vice President of the BFBS (and seems to have been informally regarded as President of the Auxiliary); and his son, (Sir) Ernest Tritton (MP for Norwood), was elected President of the Auxiliary in 1895, and served until his death in 1918. He was succeeded by his widow, Lady Edith Tritton, until her own death in 1921. Meetings were frequently held at the family house at Bloomfield, Central Hill.

PRESIDENTS

(Sir) Ernest Tritton 1895-1918

Lady Edith Tritton 1919-1921

Admiral Horsley 1921-1925

Dr SW Carruthers 1925-(1938)

Results 201 to 225 of 701