Showing 115 results

Authority record

Abel Garraway

  • P055
  • Person
  • 1782 - 1860

Abel Garraway was the son of Daniel Garraway, grocer. Daniel died in 1832, when Abel inherited his copyhold property in Croydon, notably a messuage near the Cornmarket. He also owned some freehold property. He later seems to have lived in Hackney and Mitcham, and died in 1860.

Abraham B. Jayne

  • P011
  • Person
  • 1864

Abraham B. Jayne was a 'jobmaster', supplying carriages, horses and drivers for hire. His business was apparently established in 1864, although it is not clear where (he does not appear in the 1869 street directory covering Upper Norwood). By 1874, however, he was established in the Holly Bush Stables in Westow Street (at the back of the Holly Bush Hotel in Westow Hill). In about 1879, Jayne moved to the yards behind the White Hart and The Alma, important inns on opposite sides of Church Road. The business may afterwards have been reduced, as he appears in directories of 1882-1886 simply as a Fly Proprietor. He seems to have ceased trading in about 1886, and does not appear in directories after that date.

Alderman Frederick Foss

  • P009
  • Person
  • 1850 - 1908

Frederick Foss was a solicitor, who was active in the movement for the incorporation of Croydon as a Borough. When the campaign finally succeeded in 1883, he became the Charter Town Clerk: that is, he briefly acted as Town Clerk until the formal election to the post of CM Elborough. In 1886, he was elected to the Council, and he served as Mayor 1892-1893. In July 1893 he was elected Alderman; and later that year he was made a permanent Justice of the Peace. In 1895 Elborough fell ill and eventually died, and Foss again acted as Town Clerk for five months. The present album was given to him in recognition of this work at a Council meeting on 21 Sept 1896 (Croydon Advertiser, 26 Sept 1896). In 1902 he again acted as Town Clerk; and he was given the Freedom of the Borough in 1907.

Alexander Sandison

  • P007
  • Person
  • 1854 - 1921

Alexander Sandison was born in April 1854 in Cullivoe, Yell, Shetland, the eldest of a family of ten. As the third in a series of eldest sons named Alexander, he was known within the family as Looie.

He was educated at the Queen Street Institution, Edinburgh, and later at Cheshunt College, Herts; and was ordained as a Congregational minister in 1880. He immediately took up the prestigious position of Pastor of the Kings Weigh House Church, in Fish Street Hill, City of London. The Church building was compulsorily purchased for railway development in 1883: Rev Alexander was then responsible for finding a new site at Duke Street, Grosvenor Square, and for overseeing the building of a new Weigh House, which finally opened in 1891. In 1901, feeling a sense of personal failure, he resigned his pastorate of the Weigh House. He then returned for a time to Shetland. In 1904, he moved to Croydon, to become Minister of South Croydon Congregational Church, Aberdeen Road. He lived at 29 St Peters Road, South Croydon.

He retired from his ministry in June 1919, and the family moved in October to 'Lynnbank', 21 South Park Hill Road. He died on 15 November 1921.

Alfred Russel Wallace

  • P005
  • Person
  • 1823 - 1913

Alfred Wallace lived at Waldron Edge, Duppas Hill Lane, 1878 - 1881 and was connected with the CNHSS during this time.

Anderson, John Corbet (17 January 1827 - 3 January 1907)

  • Person
  • (17 January 1827 - 3 January 1907)

John Corbet Anderson was a leading historian of Croydon in the nineteenth century. He was educated in Rothesay on the Isle of Bute. Showing a keen interest in art from a young age, Anderson submitted a cartoon sketch to an exhibition in Westminster Hall in 1843 called ‘The Plague of London 1655’. He moved to Liverpool in 1846 and worked as a portrait painter. Anderson moved to Croydon in 1852, living with his sisters on Duppas Hill. He married Frances Goddard in 1855 and following her death in 1861, married Sarah Goddard in 1864 with whom he had seven sons. Anderson contributed cricketing lithographs in ‘Sketches at Lord's’; between 1850 and 1860 he drew lithographs of 39 different players. In 1859 he published 'To India and Back by the Cape by a Traveller', despite having never visited India. Five years later he published 'Shropshire: its early history and antiquities'. He also contributed to ‘English Landscapes and Views’ (1883) by Roberts and Leete, wrote the footnotes for the updated version of Joseph Nash’s 'The Mansions of England in the Olden time', illustrated ‘Biblical Monuments’ by William Harris Rule, wrote ‘Old Testament and Monumental Coincidences’ (1895), and edited ‘The Family of Leete, with special reference to the genealogy of Joseph Leete’ (1881).

Anderson’s first book on Croydon – ‘Monuments and Antiquities of Croydon Church in the County of Surrey’ – was published in 1855. The book traced the history of the parish church from the 14th century to the restoration undertaken in the 1850s. In 1871 he wrote ‘Monuments and Antiquities of the old parish church of St John Baptist of Croydon, in the County of Surrey, which was destroyed by fire on the night of January the fifth’, and ‘The parish church as it was rebuilt during the years mdcclxii-ix after the design of G. Gilbert Scott, R. A.’ He also wrote ‘Chronicle of the Parish of Croydon’, the first volume of which was ‘Croydon: Pre-Historic & Roman’ (1874). The second volume was ‘Saxon Croydon’ (1877) which covers finds such as human remains in Park Street, under Whitgift’s almshouses and at Farthing Downs. The third volume was ‘Croydon Old Church: Parish Register and the Whitgift Charity’, followed by the final volume on ‘The Archiepiscopal Palace at Croydon’ (1879). Anderson’s next book on Croydon was published in 1882, ‘A Short Chronicle concerning the Parish of Croydon’, followed by ‘A Descriptive and Historical Guide to Croydon Surrey’ in 1887. His final book, ‘The Great North Wood: with a Geological, topographical and Historical description of Upper Norwood, West & South Norwood, in the County of Surrey’, was published in 1898.

Anderson died on 3rd January 1907 and was buried five days later in Queen’s Road Cemetery in Croydon, where his grave still stands.

Arthur Anderson

  • P040
  • Person
  • 1792 - 1868

Arthur Anderson was born in Scotland, was the founder of the P and O Steamline and lived at Norwood Grove. Extract taken from the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography reads ' By the time of Andersons death in 1868 the P O had the largest commercial fleet of steamships in the world and provided the main link between Britain and its imperial possessions in India, the Far East, and Australia....At his home, The Grove, Norwood, South London, he endowed a working mans institute'. Anderson died of bronchitis at 18 Park Lane, London, on 27 February 1868

Arthur Tooth

  • P049
  • Person
  • 1839 - 1931

Arthur Tooth (1839-1931) entered the Church of England in 1863. His religious beliefs and practices, in his parish of Hatcham, Kent, leant towards the extreme High Church: he came into conflict with the Church authorities, resulting in his imprisonment for 28 days in 1877, and the resignation of his living in 1878. He then bought Stroud Green House, Woodside, and transferred his community of nuns there from Hatcham. He intended to build a large hospital for inebriates, but only the chapel and one cloister wing were finished, and the convent in fact functioned as an orphanage. The property was sold in 1924 to Croydon Corporation, and the community moved to Otford Court, Kent where Father Tooth died in 1931. Croydon Council demolished the old Stroud Green House; laid the grounds out as a public park (Ashburton Park); and converted Father Tooths convent buildings into a public library (Ashburton Library), opened in December 1927.

Austin Bennett

  • P077
  • Person
  • c. 1919

Austin Bennett is listed in the Spring 1919 Absent Voters List.

Baldwin Latham

  • P041
  • Person
  • 1836 - 1917

Compiled by Baldwin Latham (1836-1917), a Croydon resident who was surveyor to Croydon Board of Health from 1863 to 1870. He left this post to start his own private practice as an engineer.Throughout this time he continued to live in Croydon. Extracts from the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography read; Latham, Baldwin a civil engineer and meteorologist, was born on 6 December 1836 in Nantwich, Cheshire, the son of George Latham, architect and surveyor. After attending Nantwich grammer school he entered his fathers office in 1851, and served the usual three-year pupillage as a civil engineer. He then moved to Sandiway, Cheshire, to work for three years with the contractors Douglas and Beckett before joining Joseph Glyn, a civil engineer and fellow of the Royal Society, in the Fens at Ely. In 1860 Latham went into business on his own account in Ely, and on 24 November 1863 he married Ann Elizabeth, daughter of William Neal, draper, of Ely, with whom he moved to Croydon and raised a large family....By 1868 Latham had designed the sewerage, irrigation, and water works for fifteen English towns. He had also begun a series of nearly forty papers reporting on these and related matter....Latham is best remembered for his contributions to public water supply, particularly in the Croydon area. His book, Sanitary Engineering, a Guide to the Construction of Sewerage and House Drainage (1873, and 2nd edn, 1878) was regarded as a classic in its day. In the latter part of his life, he analysed the parish records of Croydon from their commencement in 1538 to identify deaths caused by water-borne diseases. He constructed from his summary of the state of the Croydons water year by year to 1900. His interest in the characteristics of the districts hydrology continued undiminished, and they formed the subject of the last paper he gave, to the Croydon Natural History and Philosophical Society. It was in press when Latham died, on 13 March 1917, at his home, Park Hill House, Stanhope Road, Croydon, aged eighty-one: he suffered from phlebitis and a pulmonary embolism. He was buried at Croydon cemetery on 19 March. He was survived by his wife.

Barbara M.Cooper

  • P048
  • Person
  • 1949 - 1950

Barbara M. Cooper lived in Purley and recorded in this diary a weekly record of bird movements in and around a local small wood. She recorded her diary between Dec 1949 - Jul 1950.

Caroline Spratt

  • P056
  • Person
  • 1855 - 1944

Mrs Caroline (Carrie) Spratt was a dresser at the Grand Theatre (High Street, Croydon) at the same time as her husband was stage door keeper there.

Charlotte Emily Mortimer

  • P050
  • Person
  • 1867 - 1937

Charlotte Emily Mortimer (born 1867; known as Emily) was a teacher at the Princess Road Board School. She married Harry Marchant in 1896 and had a daughter, Constance Elsie.
She died in 1937.

Cuthbert William Johnson

  • P114
  • Person
  • 1799 - 1878

Cuthbert William Johnson, born in Bromley on 21 September 1799, was an agricultural writer largely considered an authority on agricultural matters. He published several works including 'The Use of Crushed Bones as Manure'. He was a key player in the campaign which led to the passing of the Public Health Act in 1848, going on to be Chairman of the Croydon Local Board of Health from it's founding in March 1849 to September 1953 and again from May 1862 to March 1877. He died in Croydon on 8 March 1878.

Dorothy Miles

  • P046
  • Person
  • 1899

Dorothy Miles was born 7 March 1899. She was the daughter of Albert G J and Elizabeth Miles; and had younger siblings Marjorie (b 7 June 1902); Norman (b 1906); and Nancy (b 29 March 1912), who in 1919 was a pupil at Old Palace School. Dorothy was educated at Old Palace School and at the London School of Economics. She began work in the off ice of L H Turtle (toolmaker and cutler) at 6 Crown Hill, Croydon, in November 1915, and in 1919 was still there, as a secretary. She later worked for much of her life for Grants (as secretary to the Directors). In the course of 1919 she became engaged to Wallis Powell, who left later in the year for Australia to set up the firm of Foster Clark (food manufactureres): in the event, she never married.

Dr [later Professor] RG Newton

  • P008
  • Person
  • 1945

The survey of rookeries and winter rook roosts in the area of the CNHSS Regional Survey was undertaken in 1945 by Dr [later Professor] RG Newton, as a contribution to the Rook Investigation, a project carried out under the direction of James Fisher (d 1970) for the Agricultural Research Council. The results were published as RG Newton, 'Rook Survey Work' by the Ornithological Section, Proceedings of the CNHSS, vol 11 (1948), pp309-314. An introductory paper by RG Newton and James Fisher, 'The Reasons for the Survey of Winter Roosts used by Rooks', explaining some of the methodology used, is published in the same place, pp303-308.

Results 1 to 25 of 115