Showing 701 results

Authority record

James R Bex

  • P054
  • Person
  • 1889

JR Bex, Builders and undertakers, was established by James R Bex in about 1889. It was based at Wyche Grove, South Croydon. The premises were initially unnumbered, but from about 1928 were assigned the number 25: after World War II, the firm extended its business into no 23 - previously a private house occupied by Walter J Bex - and used 23 Wyche Grove as its address. From the turn of the century until about 1916 it also had a timber yard situated on the opposite side of the road.

In about 1873 the firm was taken over by W Cullen and Sons Ltd and it subsequently operated under that name.

The firm appears to have run the two sides of its business in tandem. Some of its account books relate specifically either to building work or to funeral direction, but many relate to both.

Croydon Philharmonic Society

  • CB187
  • Corporate body
  • 1914

Croydon Philharmonic Society was founded in 1914 (initially as Croydon Sacred Harmonic Society) by Alan J. Kirby (1889-1959) who remained its conductor until 1957. In 1937 it was at its peak, with 160 members.

Croydon Wireless Society

  • CB189
  • Corporate body
  • 1913

The Croydon Wireless Society was founded in 1913 and was affiliated to the Radio Society of Great Britain. Meetings were held weekly on Mondays at 5 Altyre Road, East Croydon.

Croydon Head Teachers Association

  • CB190
  • Corporate body
  • 1885

Souvenirs of annual dinners given to members of the Croydon Head Teachers Association (and others associated with education in Croydon) by Arther H. Harding (1885-1952; Mayor, 1939-42), and his daughter, Miss K. Maureen Harding. Mr Harding did not attend the dinner in October 1952 through illness, and he died in November. The location is the Cafe Royal, North End, Croydon.

Henry Grantham

  • P015
  • Person
  • 1861 - 1945

Henry Grantham was employed as a Gamekeeper on the Ballards Estate, owned by Charles Hermann Goschen. He was born in 1861 in Ewhurst, Surrey

Thomas Bainbridge

  • P013
  • Person
  • 1778 - 1818

Thomas Bainbridge, active 1778-1818, was a well-known land surveyor and cartographer of estate and enclosure maps. He was based in London in Grays Inn, but worked in all parts of the country.

Ashburton Junior School

  • CB017
  • Corporate body
  • 1928 - 2009

Ashburton Junior School opened on 20 July 1928 and was known for the first few months as Long Lane School. It was a combined Junior and Infant School until 19 April 1950 and became a Junior School on 20 April 1950. Ashburton Senior School had opened on the same site in 1931 although it was a separate school administratively. It transferred to Shirley Road on 04 April 1950. Ashburton Junior School closed in July 2009 when the buildings transferred to Oasis Academy, Shirley Park.

Dagnall Park School

  • CB131
  • Corporate body
  • 1889 - 1933

Dagnall Park School was a private school for girls, established in about 1889 at 2 Elgin Villas, Dagnall Park, South Norwood (afterwards renumber 45 Dagnall Park). It was originally run by Miss Beale. In about 1895 it moved to 28 Dagnall Park, where it was run by Miss Florence Tait. She moved the school to 38 Dagnall Park in 1899; and again in 1901 to 199 Selhurst Road, South Norwood. It was taken over by the Misses Strugnell in about 1911, and they moved it once more, in about 1918, to 229 Selhurst Road. The school appears to have closed in about 1933. It may have been loosely associated with Dagnall House School (a boys school).

John Whitgift

  • P012
  • Person
  • 1530 - 1604

John Whitgift was Archbishop of Canterbury from 1583 until his death in 1604.

Applegarth Infant School

  • CB060
  • Corporate body
  • 1967 - 2007

Applegarth Infant School opened in January 1967, followed by an official opening on 12 October 1967.

Ancient Order of Shepherds

  • CB176
  • Corporate body
  • 1866 - 1889

Sanctuary Pride of the Sea was opened in January 1866, with officers from Sancuary 3146 of the Order in attendance. Pride of the Sea was the South Norwood Sanctuary (i.e. branch): the first meeting took place at the Alliance Hotel, South Norwood ( no location is given for any other meeting); and several of the officers can be identified as South Norwood residents.

One Croydon lodge of the Ancient Order of Foresters friendly society (opened at the Ship Inn in 1862) was named Pride of the Ocean: this may explain the Shepherds choice of name.

Meetings took place monthly (although minutes have not been completed for four meetings in the latter part of 1881). Officers, who were elected in December and June for six - month terms, included the following: Ancient Pastor [Chairman]; Sub Pastor; Treasurer; Scribe (or Secretary); First Attendant; First Keeper; Second Keeper; and Auditor. Not all these posts existed throughout the period of the minute books.

Like most friendly societies, Sanctuary Pride of the Sea supported its members (Brothers) or their dependants at times of sickness, hardship or death. The minutes, however, are more concerned with the Sanctuarys administration and ceremonial ( the election of officers and new members, and the imposition of fines dor absence from meetings, or for breaches of regulations such as not wearing a scripp, etc.)

Alderman Frederick Foss

  • P009
  • Person
  • 1850 - 1908

Frederick Foss was a solicitor, who was active in the movement for the incorporation of Croydon as a Borough. When the campaign finally succeeded in 1883, he became the Charter Town Clerk: that is, he briefly acted as Town Clerk until the formal election to the post of CM Elborough. In 1886, he was elected to the Council, and he served as Mayor 1892-1893. In July 1893 he was elected Alderman; and later that year he was made a permanent Justice of the Peace. In 1895 Elborough fell ill and eventually died, and Foss again acted as Town Clerk for five months. The present album was given to him in recognition of this work at a Council meeting on 21 Sept 1896 (Croydon Advertiser, 26 Sept 1896). In 1902 he again acted as Town Clerk; and he was given the Freedom of the Borough in 1907.

East India Company

  • CB131
  • Corporate body
  • 1600 - 1873

The East India company was granted its charter by Queen Elizabeth in 1600. It established the Addiscombe Military Seminary at Addiscombe Place in 1809, for the training of its officer cadets. In 1858, the Company's interests were transferred to the Crown, and the Seminary was renamed the Royal India Military College. It closed in 1861.

Abel Garraway

  • P055
  • Person
  • 1782 - 1860

Abel Garraway was the son of Daniel Garraway, grocer. Daniel died in 1832, when Abel inherited his copyhold property in Croydon, notably a messuage near the Cornmarket. He also owned some freehold property. He later seems to have lived in Hackney and Mitcham, and died in 1860.

Britannia Club

  • CB146
  • Corporate body
  • 1844 - 1939

Location of Britannia Club 34 Surrey Street, corner of Bell Hill and Surrey Street.

Formerly Black Lion public house from 1682, renamed Britannia c.1844 closed c.1939

The building was refurbished and became the Britannia Club, a club for service women. It was opened on January 19th 1943 by HRH Princess Alice Duchess of Gloucester. It was also visited by HRH Princess Marina , Duchess of Kent at a later date.

It closed in 1946.

Croydon and the Second World War by Berwick Sayers page 80 1943 quotes;

On January 19th the Duchess of Gloucester opened the Britannia Club for the Womens Services. This had been a derelict public house in Surrey Street which a committee, with Councillor Basil Monk as its Chairman, acquired on loan from the Corporation. It was repaired, and the rooms were each treated as representing a part of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland by means of singularly effective and attractive wall paintings by Mr H. R. Hatch. It was comfortably furnished with the amenities of a residential club, a canteen service, sitting rooms, a library and sleeping accomodation for about forty girls who could stay there on those times of occasional leave which were not long enough for them to travel to their own homes. It was especialy useful for girls who came from overseas or who had no home of their own. Relays of voluntary women helpers assisted the residential hostess and did much to make the club one of the most popular and beneficent institutions of the time

The 1955 Street Directory lists the building as Britannia Club ( R.A.F. Association) .

Broadmead Infant School

  • CB085
  • Corporate body
  • 1873

Founded before 1873. The history of the school before 1961 is intermingled with that of Broadmead Junior School. Known earlier as Sydenham Infant School; renamed Broadmead Infant School when it moved into new premises, January 1972.

Caroline Spratt

  • P056
  • Person
  • 1855 - 1944

Mrs Caroline (Carrie) Spratt was a dresser at the Grand Theatre (High Street, Croydon) at the same time as her husband was stage door keeper there.

Charlotte Emily Mortimer

  • P050
  • Person
  • 1867 - 1937

Charlotte Emily Mortimer (born 1867; known as Emily) was a teacher at the Princess Road Board School. She married Harry Marchant in 1896 and had a daughter, Constance Elsie.
She died in 1937.

H. G. Simmons

  • P052
  • Person
  • 1909 - 1964

Harry Guy Simmons (1909-1964) worked as a service mechanic for Croydon Corporation Electricity Department. During World War II he served in No. 9 platoon, G Company, of the 32nd County of London Battalion of the Home Guard, which was made up of Electricity Department staff. He was initially a volunteer, but was promoted to Lance Corporal in about August 1942.

John Kenneth Hill

  • P037
  • Person
  • 1918 - 1941

John Kenneth Hill was born in 1918 and lived in Craigan Avenue, Addiscombe, until the Hill family moved to Shirley Road in 1934. Around the age of 4 or 5, he developed polio, though within a few years was able to walk without the use of an iron splint. Both John and his brother Colin Hill attended Hadley House preparatory school and then went on to Whitgift. In 1934 John left school and became a junior Insurance Clerk for the North British and Mercantile Insurance Company.

John soon applied to join the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve (RAFVR), but due to his impaired health from the polio was refused on his first application, but was then accepted on his second attempt in 1938.

Pilot Officer John Kenneth Hill was killed on 17 April 1941 when the bomber he was piloting came down in County Wicklow, Ireland, on return from a raid on Berlin. All four crew on board died in the crash.

Norbury Manor High School for Boys

  • CB037
  • Corporate body
  • 1913 - 1986

Opened 31 March 1913 as Stanford Road Senior Mixed [Boys and Girls] School. The building was used as a military hospital between March 1915 and June 1919 and the pupils accommodated at Winterbourne Road School. Renamed Norbury Manor in December 1922. Reorganised as separate senior boys and senior girls schools from 4 April 1932. [See SCH76]. Renamed Norbury Manor Secondary Modern Boys School, 1 April 1947. Two thirds of school transferred to premises in Winterbourne Road, 1 September 1954, in preparation for rebuilding programme. School reassembled at Stanford Road, 6 January 1964. Became an 11-14 comprehensive school in September 1970. Closed 31 August 1986 as a result of falling rolls.

Arthur Anderson

  • P040
  • Person
  • 1792 - 1868

Arthur Anderson was born in Scotland, was the founder of the P and O Steamline and lived at Norwood Grove. Extract taken from the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography reads ' By the time of Andersons death in 1868 the P O had the largest commercial fleet of steamships in the world and provided the main link between Britain and its imperial possessions in India, the Far East, and Australia....At his home, The Grove, Norwood, South London, he endowed a working mans institute'. Anderson died of bronchitis at 18 Park Lane, London, on 27 February 1868

Results 201 to 225 of 701