- 1862 - 1983 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Transferred from the school, in 2005.
SCH6/6/1 transferred, in January 2011 by the same source.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
The school was founded in North End in 1714 as a school for fourteen boys and fourteen girls by Thomas Tenison, Archbishop of Canterbury. For its endowment, Tenison purchased farmland at Limpsfield and he bequeathed £400 to be laid out in land for the enlargement of the Charity. In 1847, the school was rebuilt as separate girls and boys schools in Selsdon Road with adjacent houses for the Master and Mistress (Tenison Cottages, 1 and 2). The Infants and Junior Girls were transferred to other schools in August 1930 and the Girls school reopened in September 1930 as a Senior Girls school. At the same time, the Boys reopened as a Selective Central School and later became a Grammar School. The two schools amalgamated in September 1952 and in 1959 moved to a new building on Selborne Road.