Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Croydon Amateur Boxing Club
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Croydon Amateur Boxing Club was formed at a meeting on 23 November 1928, held at the Queens Club, Poplar Walk, West Croydon. The founder and first Chairman was Peter Seaton MBE, later to become President of the Amateur Boxing Association (ABA). He died on 29 April 1933, and was succeeded as Chairman by Frank Richards. Peter Seatons contribution to the club was recognised when a Memorial Fund was established for a new headquarters, to be named after him. The first President of the club was Colonel CG Allen: he was succeeded in September 1931 by Councillor EC Stuart-Baker.
The Club trained at both junior and senior levels. The juniors met on Thursday evenings at the British Legion Hall; the seniors met there on Tuesdays, and at the Queens Hall on Fridays. The first Annual Boxing Tournament took place on 27 March 1929 at the Central Baths Hall, Croydon, and became a regular event thereafter. The Club also took part in Inter - Club and Divisional Tournaments. In addition, charity displays were organised, for causes such as hospitals and the RAF Benevolent Fund.
The Club was always particularly strong at Junior Level. In December 1932 Jack Richards won the first gold medal for the Club in the 9st Schoolboy Championships of Great Britain: many further titles were subsequently won by other members.
The Club initially depended heavily on donations, both of money, and of equipment such as boxing gloves. The Taylor Cup was donated by John Taylor to be presented to the member of the Club gaining most points in competition boxing.
The Club colours were a light blue vest, and black shorts with a light blue stripe.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier