- 1880 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
1 large folder
Name of creator
Property of Croydon Natural History and Scientific Society, having been purchased by Paul W. Sowan in an antiques shop. Deposited in November 2007.
The Oxted line from South Croydon Junction on the main Brighton line, via stations at Selsdon (closed), Sanderstead, Riddlesdown, Upper Warlingham, and Woldingham to Oxted and beyond was commenced for the failed Surrey and Sussex Junction Railway by Warings contrators, who worked on the line 1865 - 1867, when all work on the line ceased (although the SSJR continued in existence on paper for some years).
Work on the earthworks, now for the Croydon, Oxted and East Grinstead Railway, was re-commenced by the contractor Joseph Firbank and completed in the years 1880 - 1883. Other contractors presumably installed track and signalling, and built stations. The line opened for traffic in 1884 and remains in use having been electrified.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Portfolio of five large sheets of plans, and 14 large sheets of sections.