- 1889 - 1969 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Croydon was incorporated as a Borough by Royal Charter on 14th February 1883, earlier petitions for incorporation in 1691 and 1707 having been unsuccessful. The first election under the charter was held on June 1st 1883, and first meeting of the Borough Council took place on June 9th 1883. It consisted of 49 members representing 6 wards. Croydon was granted arms, bearing the motto Sanitate crenescamus (Let us increase in health), in 1886. In 1889, under the Local Government Act of 1888, it was the only town in Surrey to be granted the status of a County Borough, retaining control of, among others, its own highways, education and public health services. Under the 1963 London Government Act Croydon became a London Borough, absorbing the Urban District of Coulsdon and Purley. It lost control of its fire brigade, ambulance service, vehicle licensing, refuse and sewage disposal, and strategic planning. Elections were held on 7th May 1964, and the first meeting of the London Borough Council of Croydon took place on 20th May 1964. Its powers came into force on 1st April 1965.
Transferred from Local Studies Library Collection qS70(370)CRO, 14 May 2001.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Croydon School Board, lists of teachers, pupils teachers and applicatns for teaching posts, 1889 - 1903 (1 vol)
Croydon Education Department, Loan Sanctions to schools, 1942 - 1969 (1 vol)