Type of entity
Authorized form of name
West Thornton Primary School
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
1896 - 1995
Boston Road Schools were opened on 25 August 1896. In 1921 or 1922 they were remaned West Thornton. From 1896 until 1931 there were separate Departments for Infants, Post-Infant Girls and Post-Infant Boys. From 11 Sept 1931 Senior Boys and Girls went elsewhere leaving separate Departments for Infants, Junior Girls and Junior Boys. Then on 1 September 1955, the Junior Girls and Boys were combined into one Junior Mixed Department and on 1 September 1958 the Infants and Juniors were brought together to form one Primary School.
To summarise the above paragraph:
1896 - 1958 Infants
1896 - 1931 Post Infant Girls and Post Infant Boys
1931 - 1955 Junior Girls and Junior Boys
1955 - 1958 Junior Mixed
1958 onwards Primary
In September 1939 the schools were evacuated to Brighton, but re-opened in Boston Road in April 1940.
In April 1976 the school vacated its original premises in Boston Road and moved into premises earlier occupied by Lanfranc Girls School (Rosecourt Road).
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier