Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Gilbert Scott School
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Addington National (later Addington Village and then later still St Marys, Addington) School which stood at the foot of Spout Hill on the east side, was open by 1868, and may have commenced in 1844. On 30 January 1950 it was closed (and demolished) and the staff and children were transferred to the new Gilbert Scott Infant School, and to Wolsey Infant School, and the recently opened Gilbert Scott Junior School. The Headmistress of the Village School became the first Head of Gilbert Scott Infants. The Infant and Junior Schools were combined in September 2007.
There had also, between 1874 and 1908, been an Addington Hills Infant School (the building, converted to private residence, still stands just south of the Sandrock Public House). This school had only one Headmistress throughout its existence; her log books, despite (or on account of) her illiteracy, are a joy to read.
For further details of these two Addington schools see under ST MARYS ADDINGTON (CE) SCHOOL.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier