Parish Church Junior School

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Parish Church Junior School

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1862 - 1980


Parish Church National School for girls existed by December 1862, with presumably a similar school for boys. The school was initially called St Johns. On 23 January 1882, a boys school was established by the Rt. Rev. Bishop Tufnell, vicar of Croydon, according to the log book that commences in 1894, which may mean that any earlier school had lapsed. By 1882 and until 1884, the boys school was held in the Pitlake Mission Hall, Westfield Road. A log book commencing in the latter year indicates that by then there was a separate infants school (also called St Johns). The 1884 building stood at the junction of Church Road and Old Palace Road and accommodated boys, girls and infants in three separate departments. The immediate increase in numbers was such that, in October 1886, the newly-erected Welcome Hall, Scarbrook Road, had to be taken into use as an annexe. This was the boys school from 1894 until 1924. In January 1924, the boys school returned to the old building and the junior girls and infants schools were combined. In 1949, the juniors and infants were combined under one head. A further reorganisation in 1966 resulted in the creation of separate infants and junior mixed [boys and girls] schools.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier


Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places