Plan of Norwood, in the parishes of Croydon and Lambeth, the property of the Archbishop of Canterbury; by William Mar. The 'North Wood (the origin of the name Norwood) was a chain of oak woods stretching across the Surrey-Kent border. The largest single share, from Saxon times, belonged to the See of Canterbury: it straddled the border between the parishes of Croydon and Lambeth. This plan of the Archbishops property was commissioned for William Sancroft (Archbishop 1678-1691), by 'IT (full name not established), his Woodreeve - the chief manager of the woods. William Mar, the surveyor who produced it, was responsible for other estate maps in Surrey and Oxfordshire; and can probably be identified with the William Mar(r), who worked in London, Middlesex and Surrey, 1640-85; and was a Parliamentary Surveyor of Crown Lands (Source: P Eden, Dictionary of Land Surveyors . . . 1550-1850, 1975-6).