William C. Dendy
William C. Dendy
Registers of admission of Waddon Hospital. Some indexed. The building of an infectious diseases hospital was first promulgated in 1890, and in December 1893 pressure increased when permission was refused for the construction of a fever hospital at Grange Wood. This was especially important since in the period 1885 - 90 Croydon had become notorious for its high incidence of epidemic diseases. The hospital opened on 6 June 1896 and was extended in 1900 and 1911. The name was changed to"Waddon Hospital" in 1945, and as the incidence of infectious diseases decreased, the hospital became used for the care of the elderly and pioneering eye operations. In this latter use the hospital became internationally renowned since many of the procedures were filmed as teaching aids. In 1981 large scale bed-closures were proposed in the borough in the light of Government spending cuts, simultaneous with the opening of the new District Hospital and Waddon Hospital was one of the victims. There was little opposition, since the hospital was recognised to be obsolescent. The hospital finally closed in 1984, and the site was given over to residential development in 1991. Croydon Local Studies Library holds several photographs of Waddon Hospital (Photo Ref: 362 Waddon), also a printed report on a proposed new Epidemic Hospital by Leonard Wilde (Ref: pS70 (362) CRO) and an invitation card for the opening of the hospital in 1896 (Ref: pS70 (362) CRO)
Three histories of the Coulsdon and Purley area by Sidney J. Madge:
Coulsdon and Purley Source Book of Materials for Local History with Index 1951[SJM/1] Manuscript of Coulsdon: From the time of Cuthred to the Crusades, October 1952, with related correspondence 1952 - 3 [SJM/2]
Manuscript of Coulsdon Records: the Principal Lands of Coulsdon and Purley and their Holders, June 1953 [SJM/3]; and a typescript copy of same [SJM/4]
Sidney Joseph Madge
Portland Road School
School Records, Primary Education. Coulsdon Roke Infants' School and Coulsdon Roke Post-Infants' School were founded on 27 April 1908. The word "Coulsdon" was later dropped from the title. The Post-Infants' School closed in 1926 when Roke Central School was opened in the building. Roke Junior School opened on 19 April 1950 in premises vacated by Roke Central School. On 1 September 1969 the Infants' School and the Junior School were amalgamated under one head. Roke Primary School/Purley Vale/Purley/Croydon/London/South-East/England. See SCH95 for records of Roke Central School.
ROKE PRIMARY SCHOOL
Coulsdon Roke Infants' School and Coulsdon Roke Post-Infants' School were founded on 27 April 1908. The word "Coulsdon" was later dropped from the title. The Post-Infants' School closed in 1926 when Roke Central School was opened in the building. Roke Junior School opened on 19 April 1950 in premises vacated by Roke Central School. On 1 September 1969 the Infants' School and the Junior School were amalgamated under one head.Primary Education. Roke Primary School/Purley Vale/Purley/Croydon/London/South-East/England
ROKE PRIMARY SCHOOL
Roke Central School
Rockmount Primary School
Ridgeway Primary School
Ridgeway Infant School
Riddlesdown High School
Log Books (6):
1950 - 1971
1971 - 1978
1978 - 1985
1985 - 1988
1988 - 1991
1992 - 1996
Admission Registers (5):
1950 - 1963
1963 - 1969
1969 - 1975
1975 - 1987
1987 - 1991
plus subsequent admissions
2 photo albums
1 accident book 1989 - 2001
1 register of c.p.
1 commendation book 1985 - 1997
Photos, films, plaque, plan of school, folder containing:
Ashburton Infant School
Purley Oaks Primary School
Purley Nursery School
Purley High School for Girls
Purley High School for Boys
Three log books with enclosures
Priory Special School
Parish Church Junior School
Oval Primary School
Log Book 1928 - 1950 (1, SCH8/1/1)
Log Book 1951 - 1963 (2. SCH8/1/2)
Log Book 1963 -1971 (3, SCH8/1/3)
Log Book 1971 - 1993 (4, SCH8/1/4)
Log Book 06 May - 05 Oct 1998 (5, SCH8/1/5)
1) 1936 - 1944 (1, SCH8/2/1)
2) 1944 - 1950 (2, SCH8/2/2)
3) 1945 - 1948 (3, SCH8/2/3) (under 5s)
4) 1950 - 1958 (4, SCH/8/2/4)
5) 1958 - 1970 (5, SCH8/2/5)
7) 1984 - 1999 (7, SCH8/2/7)
8) 1998 - 2000 (8, SCH8/2/8)
10) 2004 - 2008 (10, SCH8/2/10)
Register of CP 1928 - 1976 (1, SCH8/3/1)
Photo albums (SCH8/5):
1) School trip to Seaford, 1934
2) Trip to Natural History Museum, c.1990?
3) Various including trip to Tower of London, c.1990?
4) Exercise books of pupils showing salads they have prepared.
5) Album of school activities, c.1960.
6) and 7) A year in the life of a bookshop, 1988-1989 with enclosures.
Book of condolence on death of Princess Diana, 1997.
Handbook for schools, 1975 edition.
Folders containing details of school activities:
1950 -5 (orange)
1952 (sports day)
2 n.d. (1998)
Folder of Christmas play programmes.
Certificates: Comic Relief 1991; Tesco Computers for Schools 1996
Exercise book: trip to Seaford, 1938.
Photo album: large 1950 onwards.
Envelope containing letters of thanks, 1987 but also a speech day programme from 1939.
50th Anniversary Open Evening, 1981. Visitors book.
Envelope containing photos, n.d. (c.1998)
Slides: 1) Pilgrim Fort 1962 - 1967 2) Activities 1962 - 4.
Framed photos of balloon launch, 70th anniversary (1998)
Box File of photos, undated.
Governors minutes 1960 - 2004
Ashburton Junior School
Norbury Manor High School for Girls
Norbury Manor High School for Boys
Monks Orchard Primary School
Lady Edridge Girls High School