- 24 Dec 1889
Deed to a parcel of land north of Haling Farm
Deed to a parcel of land north of Haling Farm
Scrapbooks, programmes, and other records of the Southern Pathfinders ramblers association; including correspondence etc acquired by Kenneth Allen in researching and writing The Life and Times of the Southern Pathfinders.
1938 Examination Papers of Violet Botting (nee Quirk) at Lady Edridge School.
1970 Lady Edridge Magazine.
Apprenticeship Indenture, dated 09 May 1871, of Thomas Woolnough apprenticed to Mr Owen King, plumber and house decorator. 15 was paid by Lauds charity.
Florence Shephard (c.1894 - 1984) worked for the Aeronautical Inspection Directorate at Croydon Aerodrome in 1929 having previously been based in the AID at A.V.Roe at Hamble near Southampton. In c.1939 she transferred to Leatherhead but continued to commute from the Croydon area.
A full description has been provided by the donor:
A: Journal: The Flying World (1937) by Florence Shephard
B: Final drafts for a possible book on early aviation. Donor has included a list of the chapter headings.
C: Preliminary Drafts
E: Strays with items of local interest.
For further information on the organisation of B-E, see accompanying note by the donor.
F: Imperial Airways Weekly News Bulletin (1935 - 1939, with gaps).
G. Imperial Airways Gazette (1935 - 1939, with gaps)
H: Miscellaneous. Includes press cuttings, copy of Air Navigation Bill, copy of history of Battle of Britain (Air Ministry)
Leases relating to land in High Street, Croydon dated 18 July 1823 and 23 March 1866 (no. 43 High Street).
Bundle of pre-registration documents relating to 62 Fernhurst Road, Croydon, CR0 7DG.
Copy draft deed of co-partnership between Messrs Carpenter, Whitling and Lanchester. A company of doctors based at 53 High Street (1880 Directory).
Unknown corporate body
1) 1933 - 1950
2) 1950 - 1968
3) 1968 - 1976
4) 1976 - 1982
5) 1981 - 1987
Southern Railway Athletic Club
Collection of property transfer documents relating to the sales of Herons Croft to the Dreyer family in 1968 and by the Dreyer family in 1997. Also includes newspaper cuttings, information relating to listed building status and sales particulars from previous sales as well as research notes.
A bundle of photographs, some apparently taken from a scrap book, showing school activities from the late 1940s to early 1960s. Activities include harvest festivals, nativity plays, coronation parade (1953) etc. Also included is a 1927 teachers report from Furzedown Training College for Irene Eveline Barnett. As the collection also includes a couple of personal photographs, it is likely that the collection came from her family.
Minutes and accompanying documents (lever arch files):
9/10/1992 - 20/11/1992
29/01/1993 - 21/01/1994
18/03/1994 - 16/12/1994
17/3/1995 - 06/9/1996
27/09/1996 - 3/1998
Plus copies of
Overhead Line System Study Final Report November 1993
Croydon Tramlink Act, 1994
Tramstop Review by Globe Architects and Plan Design Group 1994
Tramlink Working Group
Various correspondence files, financial records, photographs, ephemera and memorabilia etc of R Mansell Ltd, builders
25 volumes of bound notebooks containing plans of newly built properties with drainage routes indicated. Volumes are numbered but there appears to be two sequences. Volumes are in poor condition.
Surrey County Council
Piano tuning book of Mr F.O.Chambers, 1922 - 1964. Details of jobs and payment received. Also includes loose receipts and extracts from a brief hand written diary of national and local events.
Frank O. Chambers
1) Conveyance of piece of land at Coulsdon, 13 June 1904
2) Lease of Homeside, Purley 19 May 1913 (2 copies)
3) Lease of Waterhouse Farm, Coulsdon, 04 May 1915
4) Notice to Quit: Edwin Rutter, 20 Aug 1906
5) Deputation to William Blanch, Gamekeeper, 10 March 1892
6) Agreement for letting Lacy Lodge, 30 May 1915
7) Lease of Garston Hall, Coulsdon, 05 Sep 1907
8) Deed: London Brighton and South Coast Railway, 12 March 1897
9) Deed: London Brighton and South Coast Railway, 05 Feb 1897
10) Agreement with E. Rutter for letting certain lands 13 Sep 1899.
11) Lease of Homeside, 26 Apr 1904
12) Deed of Lower Foxley Park Estate, Lot 35, 11 Feb 1881
13) Conveyance of freehold land etc, Lower Foxxley Estate, 22 Oct 1881.
14) Lease of certain lands in Coulsdon, 26 November 1881
15) Lease of Oxgale Farm, 29 Sep 1898
16) Lease of certain lands in Coulsdon, 20 May 1889
17) Lease of Hartley Farm, Coulsdon, 21 March 1903
18) Lease of Coulsdon Grange, 01 Sep 1886
19) Draft Conveyance of Lower Foxley Park Estate, lots 10 - 12 and 49 - 53
20) Lease of Coulsdon Grange, 24 June 1880
21) Lease of lands in Coulsdon, 27 Feb 1906
22) As 21, 28 Sep 1897
23) Lease of Homeside at Lower Foxley Park, 19 Aug 1896
24) Bundle of papers relating to property sales, 1910 - 1918
25) Bundle marked Tylees Bills detailing property sales.
26) Relating to the funds of the messuage settlement of Julia Byron etc 08 Sep 1841
27) Eton Calendar, Michaelmas 1885
28) Eton Calendars, 1884 - 1888
29) Bundle of letters from Tylee and Co. to Father. Note states Began as Tylee, then for many years as Maberley, then Maxwell.
30) Settlement on the Marriage of Eric Byron with Miss Margaret robinson, 26 Sep 1903.
31) Bundle of documents re: Evans Williams v Byron, 1901. Includes notes by Eric Byron.
32) Bundle of Eton College lists, 1856 and others.
33) Bundle of letters re: building of Coulsdon, employees and visitors.
34) Small bundle re: sale of estate.
35) Account book (red) 1841 - 2.
36) Note book re: railway (?). Belonged to Eric Byron. Includes postcards.
37) Envelope marked Old Eton Bills.
38) Bundle of correspondence: c. 1880s - 1902. includes cost of laying out Lower Foxley Path.
39) Pictures etc in Rome 1898 - 9.
40) Eton Lists 1854 - 1856.
41) Wages book (names staff) 1895 - 1921.
42) Book: The Life of Rev. Christian F. Schwarz. Presented to Charlotte 1834 and again to Mary Ann Perry, 1849.
43) Memorandum of will (chattels) of Edmund Byron, 18 Dec 1922.
44) Envelope re: baliffs (incl Steer).
45) Bundle of correspondence
46) British Gazette 07 May 1926.
47) Farming Account commencing 1864
48) Conveyance of pieces of land and hereditaments in Coulsdon, 23 Feb 1877.
49) Lease re: Garston Hall, 05 Nov 1909.
50) Lease re: land in Coulsdon, 01 May 1913
51) Lease, Homesar, Lower Foxley Park, Coulsdon, 06 Sep 1877.
52) Agreement re: tenancy of Smithy, Lacy Green, Coulsdon, 10 June 1899.
53) Conveyance of land at Coulsdon, 08 Jan 1868.
54) Sales catalogue, Coulsdon Court, 1922 (5 copies)
55) Report of Directors and Statement of Accounts, Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway Company, y/e 1920.
56) Letting agreement re: Lacy Lodge to Edward Ridgeway Watt, 18 March 1915. Marked sold.
57) Tenancy Agreement re: Bradmoore Farm, Coulsdon, 17 Aug 1918.
58) Apportionment of a share of the trust funds subject to the marriage settlement of Edmund Byron and Charlotte Emily in favour of their daughter, Lucy Byron, 1893.
59) Conveyance of a piece of land on the Lower Foxley Park Estate, 27 January 1877 (some water damage).
60) Memorandum on the distribution of plates, jewellery, pictures, china, books, furniture and other things among members of the family, 1922
61) Agreement for construction of bridge over the Caterham Railway, 15 Jan 1870.
62) Inventory of Coulsdon Court, 1923
63) Papers re laying on East Surrey Companys water to Houses and Cottages on the Coulsdon Estate.
64) Conveyance of freehold land and heriditaments of freehold land, part of Lower Foxley Park, 02 Dec 1892.
65) Map of ecclesiastical parish of Coulsdon.
66) Papers re: Powers of attorney to Mr Eric Byron, 1928.
67) Schedule re: Coulsdon Estate, 1897.
68) Papers re: Oxgate Estate, Hendon, 1903.
69) Valuation of the Coulsdon Estate, 1910
70) Agreement for sale of land to LBSCR, 03 Feb 1899.
71) Agreement for letting fields at Coulsdon, 06 Mar 1918.
72) Additional unsorted papers.
73) Rents of cottages and small holdings, 1900 - 1925
74) Receipts for duty on timber sales at Coulsdon
75) Letters to Eric Byron, c.1926.
76) Plan of portion of estate, from a sales particular (n.d. but c. 1923)
77) Personal correspondence of Eric Byron, mainly re: Theodore Hall, c. 1926.
78) Lease of Homeside, Purley, 19 May 1906.
79) Inventory: silver, plated and apecially valued pictures.
80) Mr and Mrs Eric Byrons marriage settlement, 1903
81) Lease of Coulsdon Grange, 02 May 1900
82) Mrs Hiltons settled share of residue, following will of Edmund Byron, 1928.
83) Coulsdon Court Estate accounts, Nov 1922
84) Trustees of Mr and Mrs Eric Byrons Settlement to Messrs Jennings, Chater and Richards.
85) Mrs Hiltons Settled Trust Fun under will of her late father Edmund Byron, 1924.
86) Trustees Account of the Disposal of income according to Arthur Cecil Byron during his minority up to July 07 1927 under will of Edmund Byron.
87) Sales particulars: sale of Lower Foxley Park Estate, 1870 (3 copies).
88) Estate account of Edmund Byron (T. Hall Halls copy).
89) Inventory of household furniture etc of Edmund Byron, 1921.
90) Receipts for nurses, 1921 (care of Edmund Byron?)
91) Correspondence re: Southern Railway/Higher Drive, 1924.
92) Letter (25 March 1924) from Tylee and Co. re: costs.
93) Lease agreement to Alice Morley for renting a Beershop, house and pasture at Coulsdon., 1879
94) As 93, to William Whitton, 25 Oct 1881.
95) Surrey CC minutes, 24 Jan 1889
96) Baptism certificate, Anne Byron, 23 Oct 1909
97) Testimonial to Edmund Byron from stewards of Coulsdon Court on Oct 05 1864.
98) Plans of Coulsdon Court.
99) Newspaper article re: sale of Coulsdon Court, 1921.
100) Mrs Hiltons settled truxt fund under the will of her late father Edmund Byron, Aug 1925
101) Agreement: specific request to Mrs T. Hall Hall and Mrs Hilton, 09 Dec 1921.
102) Letter re: sale of estate, n.d. (c.1921)
103) Miscellaneous accounts etc.
104) Shares book (?), 1909 - 1916
105) Account book, 1864 - 1889
106) Account book, 1916 - 1922
107) Account book, 1833
108) Account book, 1872 - 1884
109) Fishing book, 1912
110) Account book, n.d.
111) Game book, 1877 - 1889
112) Journal kept by Edmund and Charlotte Emily Byron, 1867 - 1875
113) Journal: n.d. o author given.
114) Small bible: Mary Perry, 1855.
115) Small red box containing cuttings of hair.
116) Hunting journal 1899 - 1902
117) Account book 1836
118) Account book 1834
119) Timber cuts1896 - 1918
120) Four deeds relating to Hendon Estate, 1840 - 1880
121) Example of 1605 deed (marked by EB as of no other value or interest in 1878)
122) Probate of will of Lady Caroline Dundas, 20 Oct 1871.
123) Probate of will of Georgiana Lucy Kempe, 31 Jan 1891
124) Will and codicil of Mrs March, 1755
125) Settlement upon the intended marriage of S. Calvert and Miss Byron, 1809
126) Envelope marked Harriet Brownlow Byron
127) Race card for Old Surrey Hunt, Point to Point Steeplechases, 11 Apr 1896, Tandridge
128) Bundle of old Hendon Leases, c.1890.
129) Copy settlement on the marriage of Edmund Byron with Miss Charlotte Emily Jeffreys, 15 July 1867
130) Probate of will of John Burnet Dundas, 29 Sep 1868
131) Cheque dated 15 Dec 1920 (marked last cheque signed by Edmund Byron)
132) Bundle of pocket maps.
133) Bundle of material relating to Old Surrey Fox Hounds.
134) Envelope marked Brompton Cemetery.
135) Correspondence: Jeffreys, c.1896.
136) Appointment of a new trustee to the will of Miss Mary Byron, deceased.
137) Map of estate 1921
138) Probate, Mrs Georgiana Lucy Kempe, 1891
139) Letter from Hall and Co., 1899
140) Envelope marked List of Coulsdon Books
141) Photo of Harriet Brownlow Byron (1818 - 1887)
142) Photo of Lucy Hall Hall and child (taken c.1903)
143) Conveyance of land at Coulsdon 12 Aug 1880
144) Envelope, Edmund Byron County Council Elections
145) Envelope marked Personal Letters.
146) Folder marked Banks.
147) Memoranda of expenditure on repairs, building, fencing etc on the Coulsdon Estate from 1863.
148) Trust book
149) Bundle of documents re: Golders Green estates.
150) Photos of Edmund (Byron) in stitched folder.
151) A Book containing old papers of no value except as curiosities, 1876.
152) Memorial to Charlotte Emily Byron
153) Envelope: Edmund Byrons Death, family letters.
154) Inventory of Furniture and contents of Coulsdon Court, 1905
155) Probate of the will of Richard Byron, Oct 31, 1798
156) Envelope: sale of estate.
157) Envelope: Coulsdon Cricket Club, 1926
158) Extract from Eric Byrons Marriage Settlement Deed
159) Glass photograph of Charlotte Emily Byron aged 10.
160) Daily Express 11 Nov 1929
161) Bundle re: Will of Edmund Byron, 1922.
162) Bundle: statements of accounts rendered by Edmund Byron re: will of Mrs Mary Byron and marriage settlement of Rev G.H. and Mrs G.L.Kempe.
163) Bundle of receipts.
164) Settlement upon the marriage of Rev George Kempe and Georgina Byron
165) Bundle of financial papers relating to Hendon estate.
166) Envelope of letterheads
167) Various financial papers.
168) Envelope marked very old letters to Eric Byron.
169) Envelope marked personal letters.
170) Ledger: tithe list (?)
171) Folder: personal letters L.B.
172) Envelope: letters to Eric Byron from eldest brother Thomas, Cecil, Lucy and Eva Byron.
173) Envelope: Letters to Eric from Thomas in Canada.
174) Estate Map, 1922
175) Coulsdon Court Estate sales particular, Second Edition, 1922.
176) 2 OS 6 maps with Estate plotted.
177) Envelope: miscellaneous material: fox hounds, Hall Co, grave of Aunt Georgie, All Saints Convalescent Home, Eastbourne, House building at Caterham Junction etc.
178) Letter from parishioners in thanks for donation of church organ, 1868.
179) Photo of Thomas Byron, d. 1863.
180) Envelope with pattern of cloth for the Coulsdon Livery and white metal buttons
181) Church Services book belonging to Edmund Byron.
Items 175 - 181 received via Roger Packham, 23 Nov 2011.
182) Letter to Eric Byron from James Byron, June 16th 1892
183) Letter to Eric Byron, 13 Sep 1898.
184) Photocopy of note re: wristwatch, 1902
185) Map of electoral divisions of Surrey, 1890.
186) Review from Croydon Times, April 26 1876.
187) Letter to Eric Byron from Edmund Byron Dec 3 1898.
188) Invitation to Eric Byron to dinner for Edmund Byron on retirement from Mastership of the Hunt, 23 October 1902.
189) 3 copy letters re: Coulsdon Court Estate, May 1923.
190) Memoir of Coulsdon by Eric Byron, son of Edmund, in 1962. Typed by Setitia Simmonds
Items 182 - 190 received from Setitia Simmonds, February 2012
Minutes, newsletters, photographs, cuttings and other records of Croydon Writers Circle
The Croydon Writers Circle
Deed for land west of Birchanger Road, South Norwood, 1872. Includes part of Brickfield Meadow.
Dr Nigel Elliott
Two volumes relating to the staff of the Public Assistance Office, Mayday Road: bound volume of the Mayday Monthly News Letter, April 1942-Sept 1945; and photograph album of members of staff in the services.
The Public Assistance Office
Cuttings books of newspaper cuttings, letters, flyers etc from formation of troop in 1911 - early 1913.
25th Croydon (1st Woodside) Scout Troop
Cash book of Clarendon Cash Stores, 24 Pitlake. The name and address of Ernest Wickham is written in inside front cover, donors grandfather.
1) Retiring Report of the First Librarian in Charge of the Ashburton Library, Mr R.D.Hilton Smith (handwritten, 1929).
2) Report on the use of Stock 1929 - 1947.
35 boxes plus loose bags:
These, estimated to number over 14,000, are housed in 25 cardboard boxes, three two-drawer filing units, and seven albums as follows:
Boxes 1 - 16 contains Croydon cards arranged topographically.
Boxes 17 - 25 contain Croydon cards arranged thematically.
 AD Addington (including New Addington)
AS Addiscombe (including Park Hill)
 CN Coulsdon
 CA Croydon Airport
 CC Croydon central
 CC Croydon central
 KY Kenley
 OT Old Town (including Waddon and the river Wandle
 PY Purley
 PY Purley
 ST Sanderstead and Selsdon
 SH Selhurst
 SC South Croydon including Croham Hurst
 SN South Norwood
 TH Thornton Heath
 UN Upper Norwood
 WC West Croydon
 ADV Advertising and message cards
AE Aerial views
BOU Bourne flows
CEM Cemeteries and crematoria
 CHU Churches
 COM Composite / multi-view cards
FIR Fire brigade and fires
 GRO Groups
 HOS Hospitals
HUM Humorous and novelty cards
 LET Letter-cards
MIS Miscellaneous subjects and buildings
PAL Croydon Palace
 PUB Public houses
RAD Radio amateurs contact cards
 SHO Shops and other business premises
THE Theatres and cinemas
TOW Town Hall
 TA Transport (all modes)
WAR Wartime hospitals and other wartime scenes
WOR Works and factories
Two-drawer filing units
The total of six drawers contain cards relating, mostly, to districts near Croydon but beyond the LB Croydon boundary; also Collectorcard and Pamlin Prints cards, and some modern cards.
The seven albums contain cards as follows:
 C.H. Price cards numbered 20001 - 20099
 C.H. Price cards numbered 20100 - 20399
 C.H. Price cards numbered 20400 - 20720
 C.H. Price cards numbered 30000 - 30299
 C.H. Price cards / Croydon Airport
 Croydon Times cards
 South London cards
B PHOTOGRAPHIC PRINTS
Numerous photographic prints, currently on a LSLAS trolley, in course of cataloguing and processing. All are being labelled as the property of / on loan from Croydon Natural History and Scientific Society Ltd. As catalogued and labelled they are filed in the main LSLAS files of photographic and other images.
Photographic slides including those deposited by the Society and those deposited directly by John Gent before his death.
John B. Gent