Showing 707 results

Record description
Only top-level descriptions
Print preview View:

Croydon War Supplies Clearing House

  • AR140
  • Collection
  • 1914 - 1919

Minutes Oct 1914 - Oct 1918

Summary Report 1914-1919

Annual Accounts and Report, as at 31 March 1917

Record of Advertisements Nov 1914-1916

Croydon War Supplies Clearing House

Illuminated Testimonial to Sir Thomas Edridge

  • AR141
  • Collection
  • Jul 1886

Volume bearing the names of Conservatives subscribers as a presentation of two silver epergnes to Thomas Edridge. The volume contains three unidentifable photographs at the front of the volume with one having best wishes from the Mayor.

Sir Thomas Edridge

Papers of Jessie and Dora Chadderton

  • AR142
  • Collection
  • 1898 - 1952

A collection of certificates, photographs and documents relating to the teaching careers of Dora and Jessie Chadderton in the Croydon and Camberwell areas. In addition, there are family photographs and records relating to family property and activities.

Chadderton Family

Croydon Committee for Overseas Students

  • AR143
  • Collection
  • 1959 - 1976

One ring binder containing mostly typed minutes of the Croydon Committee for Overseas Students

Croydon Committee for Overseas Students

Photograph Album of the Creation of Croydon Rifle Club Shooting Range

  • AR146
  • Collection
  • c. 1958 - 1966

The album is a photographic account from June 1958 onwards of the Croydon Rifle Clubs move from the Fairfield to its present on Jessops Way off Beddington Lane (formerly part of the Beddington Lane Sewage Farm). The album shows the dismantling of the Fairfield buildings and the transportation of the materials for use in the construction of the new club premises. The album contains 61 black and white photographs together with 7 loose photographs of the site after completion.

Croydon Rifle Club

Driving Licence of Florence Mable Bridges

  • AR147
  • Collection
  • 1924

Driving Licence of Florence Mabel Bridges, of 8 Sefton Road, Croydon. Issued by the County Borough of Croydon and valid from 21st February 1924 until the 20th February 1925.

Florence Mabel Bridges

Croydon Centre for Unemployed Men Visitors Book

  • AR148
  • Collection
  • 1932 - 1939

A visitors book from the Croydon Centre for Unemployed Men, with signatures of the visitors and where they were visiting from (area and/or organization). The hand written entries date from September 25th 1932 until June 16th 1939. The reasons for visits are not given, although many were from people hoping to open similar centres elsewhere. The visitors book includes the signatures of Edward, Prince of Wales (7 June 1933) and Prince George (9 June 1933).

Croydon Centre for Unemployed Men

John Kenneth Hill Photographs

  • AR149
  • Collection
  • 1937; 1992

Photograph album of various scenes taken by John Kenneth Hill together with an obituary written by his brother.

John Kenneth Hill

Croydon Palace Chapel Measured Drawing

  • AR15
  • Collection
  • c.1900

Measured drawing (section and details) of the Chapel, Croydon Palace. Captioned Archbishops Palace - Croydon - Surrey / The Chapel / middle of 16 Cent. Pen and ink drawing on thin paper; subsequently (probably by R G Watkins) mounted on cartridge paper, and placed in picture mount. 36cm x 22cm.

Unknown person

Home Guard Proficiency Certificates

  • AR150
  • Collection
  • 1943

Two certificates awarded to Corporal R J Seaton, Home Guard D Company, 61st Surrey (Norwood) Battalion

Home Guard

Miscellaneous Papers Relating to Croydon

  • AR151
  • Collection
  • 1890 - 1929

Three unrelated documents:

A handbill concerning the 1902 Council Elections;

A religious handbill by Herbert W. Knocker, 1929

Ms notes on Croydon Improvement Act 1890

Unknown person

St Raphael Club, South Croydon

  • AR152
  • Collection
  • 1971 - 1993

The collection contains 23 scrapbooks, compiled annually, detailing the Clubs activities. These scrapbooks contain cards, leaflets, photographs, minutes, newspaper cuttings etc and were compiled by members of the Club.

St Raphael Club

Log Book of 1st Sanderstead Scout Troop

  • AR153
  • Collection
  • 1938 - 1939

Log book of 1st Sanderstead Scout Troop, 1938 - 1939 detailing camps in Chipstead and in Taibach near Fishguard as well as other activities and outings. The log book also contains photographs, newsletters and other ephemera. The text was written by Alan R. Wardle, ASM of the Troop and the photographs contributed by various Troop members.

1st Sanderstead Scout Troop

First Croydon Scout Group Old Boys Association Scrapbook

  • AR154
  • Collection
  • 1929 - 1983

Exercise book, evidently intended as a temporary measure, containing photographs of outings, mainly hikes or rambles. The photographs were taken between 1929-1933 (list included) and 1956-1957. Some of the participants are named. A note towards the end of the scrapbooks states that some of the photographs were not inserted until 1983.

First Croydon Scout Group Old Boys Association

Log Book of the 15th Southern Croydon St Peters Scout Group, Earl Haig Patrol

  • AR155
  • Collection
  • 1928 - 1929

Log book of the Earl Haig Patrol, 15th Southern Croydon, St Peters Rover Scouts. The log book begins on 01 November 1928 as the first log book covering the preceding year had evidently been lost. The purpose of the log was to record a true and unbiased account of the activities of the Patrol, a list of members together with their addresses, a record of Tests passed and any correspondence received.. The volume includes correspondence, programmes and details of camps, including a camp by six rovers at Corbion in Belgium in August 1929 although there is little information after this date.

The log book was compiled by Eric Cleaver, ASM, of 77 St Peters Road.

15th Southern Croydon, St Peters Scouts Group

Log Book of the 64th Croydon Scout Group

  • AR156
  • Collection
  • 01 Apr 1935 - 03 Aug 1936

Log book of the 64th Croydon Scout Troop from its first parade on 01 April 1935 and includes details of camps, sports and other activities. The log book includes photographs and newspaper cuttings.

64th Croydon Scout Troop

Miscellaneous Records Relating to St. James' Church, Croydon

  • AR158
  • Collection
  • 1923 - 1960

1) Attendance register, Kings Messengers (children), 1923-31 - gives home addresses and ages.

2) Church choir attendance register, 1938-53.

3) Correspondence relating to rebuilding of Church c Hall, 1944-60.

4) Estimate for building of Church Hall, May 1953.

5) Correspondence relating to Vicarage, 1957-63.

St. James' Church

Illuminated List of Subscribers to Portrait of Jabez Spencer Balfour, 1St Mayor of Croydon

  • AR159
  • Collection
  • September 1885

An illuminated address which accompanied a portrait of J. Spencer Balfour which had been painted by public subscription. The portrait and address were presented to J. Spencer Balfour at a meeting of the Town Council at the Town Hall on 5th October 1885 by the Reverend J. M. Braithwaite, Vicar of Croydon.

The address reads, In unveiling the Portrait of yourself now placed in the Council Chamber of the Town Hall of Croydon, as a permanent memorial of your Mayoralty, we, whose names are hereto attached, sesire to record our high appreciation of the distinguished services which you rendered to the Borough during your prolonged term of office, and we further beg your acceptance of a replica of the portrait, together with a small token of our regard to Miss Balfour who afforded you so much graceful in the assistance in the exercise of your generous hospitality. It is followed by 186 names.

Two copies of the portrait were made; one was presented to Balfour while the other was hung in Council Chamber of the Town Hall.

Reverend J. M. Braithwaite

The Wine Bibber

  • AR16
  • Collection
  • c.1810

Text of a drinking song. Full title: A favorite Song called / The Wine Bibber / Or, Billy diddled out of his Madeira. Contains a reference to the Green Dragon inn, Croydon; and to a churchwarden named Nevit. The text is written on a page torn out of a volume, previously used to record grocery accounts (including vegetables, a pigs head, etc) for Lloyd, with dates including 1813, 1815, and 1817. It has subsequently been mounted on card (by Croydon Library).

Unknown person

Recollections of Phyllis Devereux: My Childhood, Schooldays and My Working Life

  • AR160
  • Collection
  • Apr 1998

An account,typed by the donor, based on an interview with Phyllis Devereux (b.1914), who worked for 40 years as an engineer and covering the period 1914 to 1970. It includes references to school days, Crystal Palace Firework Displays, Shirley Windmill, The Surprise and The Sandrock public houses, the Victorian water fountain at the entrance to Oaks Road as well as her career as a draughtswoman.

Phyllis Devereux

Results 101 to 125 of 707