Mayday Road Hospital

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Mayday Road Hospital

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence



Mayday Hospital was originally the Croydon Union Infirmary, run by Croydon Board of Guardians. The first Infirmary was situated in the old Workhouse at Duppas Hill, where it remained after the Workhouse itself moved to new buildings in 1865. The new Infirmary was renamed Mayday Road Hospital in 1923, but soon afterwards became known as Mayday Hospital. After the dissolution of Croydon Board of Guardians in 1930, it was administered by Croydon Corporation (under the Local Government Act 1929). In 1948 it was taken over by the National Health Service. St Marys Maternity Hospital, in St James Road, originally opened in 1918. It became closely associated with Mayday Hospital. It closed in October 1985.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier


Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places