Collection PMH - Purley War Memorial Hospital

Identity area

Reference code



Purley War Memorial Hospital


  • 1911 - 1953 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

22 items

Context area

Name of creator

(1911 - 1953)

Administrative history

In 1907, a house in Purley was provided by J.P.Oldaker for conversion to a small hospital. He then initiated further development by obtaining a 999 year lease, starting on 25 March 1908, of land owned by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, which fronted on to Brighton Road. By 1909, a small Cottage Hospital providing eight beds had been built, and it was officially opened by Princess Christian on 31 March of that year. A lease of 1919 further extended the ste to Pampisford Road.

A decision had been taken at the end of the First World War that a suitable memorial would be the extension of the Cottage Hospital, adding further wards and facilities. The whole building was renamed Purley and District War Memorial Hospital and was officially opened in 1922 by which time the hospital now had 22 beds. The hospital was again expanded in 1926, when the Nurses Home was opened, and again in 1927 when the Outpatients Department was opened in a refurbished hut in the grounds which had formerly belonged to the Purley Division of the Red Cross Society. This was quickly followed by a childrens ward, a maternity ward and private wards. The X-ray department was added in 1929. By 1931, the hospital had 50 beds. However plans to expand further were curtailed by the outbreak of war in 1939; only a replacement outpatients department and new nurses dining facilites were completed.

The hospital, which had been dependent on voluntary funding, was transferred to the National Health Service in 1948. The number of beds rose to 59 and a chest department was opened in 1959. The hospital also operated a small casualty department until 1989. The function of the hospital changed in 1985 when the provision of healthcare in Croydon was altered. Purley was now reserved for the care of elderly patients and for outpatient clinics.

Archival history

Transferred by Mayday NHS Hospital Trust, via the Mayday branch of the NHS Retirement Fellowship, in December 2005.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Accession Number: A834

Records of Purley War Memorial Hospital

Purley and District Cottage Hospital


Minutes and General Accounts

July 1945 - May 1948

September 1939 - June1945


Linen Guild 1944-1947

Penny-a -Week Fund 1927-1948

Ledger 1911-1940

Ledger 1911-1918

Ledger 1919-1927

Ledger 1924-1939

Ledger 1940-1943



June 1925 - December 1929

January 1930 - March 1936

May 1936 - July 1939

May 1942 - June 1945

July 1945 - November 1947

December 1947 - May 1950

June 1950 - March 1953


Collecting Boxes Committee 1927- 1945

Almoners Committee 1934 - 1938

Almoners Committee 1945 - 1948


Staff Salaries 1936 - 1939

Register of Members 1941 - 1948

Register of Seals 1941 - 1948

Item date: 1911 - 1953

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling


System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Some of the records in our collections contain sensitive and personal data that we have a legal responsibility to control access to. In these circumstances, staff may search the collection on your behalf, having received consent or proof of death of the individual concerned.

Please contact us at for further information regarding the particular collection you wish to access.

You can make a request for information which may be in a closed record under the Freedom of Information Act, 2000 or the Environmental Information Regulations, 2004. For more information about making a request, see the Croydon Council website ( Making a request does not guarantee access to the information you ask for, as there may be a valid exemption from disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act.

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Annual Reports for the years 1916, 1923, 1925 and 1926 are held by the Local Studies Library at S71 (362) PUR.

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier


Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion





Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places