- 1905 - 1984 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Transferred by the Bourne Hall Museum in November 2010. The collection had been received by them as part of a collection of Surrey Adult Schools.
Thornton Heath and Woodside were two of several adult schools in Croydon, the Croydon Adult School being at the Friends Meeting House on Park Lane. The Thornton Heath branch met at the Whitehorse Road Schools (1914 Directory).
The Woodside hall was situated off Woodside Green (between Woodside Green and Salisbury Road) with the entrance next to the Joiners Arms and was established by 1914. It closed at the end of 1983 when the site was sold. The hall was subsequently demolished and replaced with housing. Photos of the Woodside Hall (in 1983) are held in the photograph collection at 370 WOO
The Adult School movement grew from the late eighteenth century provided men and women to discuss religious and educational matters but was not affiliated to any particular faith or political party. By the Edwardian period, Bible study was still central to their work but included classes, lectures and discussions on a range of religious and social matters. Membership declined after WWI. See http://www.infed.org/lifelonglearning/adult_schools.htm (accessed 27 Jan 2011).
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
Thornton Heath Adult School
1) Thornton Heath Womens Adult School Minute Book 1905 - 1926
2) Thornton Heath Womens Adult School Minute Book 1926 - 1948
Woodside Adult School
3) Woodside Adult School Womens Meeting Minute Book 1929 - 1980 (back cover missing)
4) Trustees Minute Book 1943 - 1962. Only 10 pages used. Volume states minutes of the management committee from 1962 although this appears not to have happened.
5) Trust account book 1932 - 1947
6) Trust account book 1947 - 1973
7) Trust account book 1973 - 1980
8) Folder: insurance scheme 1979 - 1984
9) Folder: financial (untitled) 1967 - 1977
10) Folder: accounts 1933 - 1977
11) Folder: financial 1959 - 1966
12) Folder of papers relating to administration of the trust and, particularly, sale of the buildings and site 1982 - 4.