- c1902-1908 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
The Halls were designed and built between 1902 and 1910 by William Ford Stanley, scientific instrument maker, next to his home at Cumberland Lodge, South Norwood Hill. they incorporated a Public Hall and Art Gallery, and a Technical and Trade School (opened in 1907). Ownership of the Hall was transferred to Croydon Corporation in 1934, and iti is still used as a centre for concerts, entertainments and lectures. The school received financial support from Croydon Corporation from 1922 onwards, and later became an Aided School.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Plan, elevations, designs and correspondence relating to Stanley Halls and Technical and Trade School, including details of masonry, roof and stage. Many of the plans and designs are signed by W F Stanley.