Showing 264 results

Authority record
Corporate body

Woodside Swimming Club

  • CB184
  • Corporate body
  • 1887

The Club was founded on 4 May 1887, although its earliest minute book has not survived. It went into abeyance during World War 2 (1940-1946). In January 1980, the Club merged with Thornton Heath Ladies Swimming Club, to become Woodside and Thornton Heath Swimming Club. The Club was based until 1940 at South Norwood Baths (Birchanger Road). The Baths were closed in April 1940, and never re-opened. After the Club was revived in 1946, it was based at Thornton Heath Baths (High Street, Thornton Heath).

The Clubs activities included racing and other competitive events, water polo, and an annual 'Entertainment' (consisting of serious and light-hearted competitions). Prominent members of the Club at various dates included Alderman Alfred T Layton; Sidney Herbert MP (afterwards Earl of Pembroke and Montgomery); Frederick Foss; Sir Thomas Edridge; Sir FT Edridge; FC Venn; HP Venn; Percy Phipps; WH Hoveman; Maurice Riesco; and RFA Riesco.

Woodside Junior School

  • CB086
  • Corporate body
  • 1891

Woodside Girls and Boys Schools opened on Morland Road on 19 October 1891. Initially there were separate post-infant Girls and Boys Schools. In Sept 1931 or 1932 the schools were reorganised leaving just Junior Girls and Boys and with the Senior Girls and Senior Boys moving elsewhere.

On 04 September 1939 the Boys and Girls schools were evacuated. The Girls school was evacuated to Upper Beeding Council School and any girls remaining behind being placed with the boys under their Head, Mr William L. Bennetto. On the same day, 04 September 1939, the Boys were evacuated to Middle Street School, Brighton and from 13 July 1940 were re-evacuated to Stoke School, Markenfield Road, Stoke. On 26 August 1940 the children were absorbed into the local school. Separate schools were re-established on 21 August 1942 when the Head of the Girls School, Isabel Idle, returned from evacuation.

The Boys and Girls schools were amalgamated from 01 January 1960 under Miss V.A.Delves who had been Head of the Girls School since 1946.

Woodside Fire Station

  • CB151
  • Corporate body
  • 1961

Mr Albert Riddle, late husband of the donor, was formerly a fireman posted from training school to Woodside in 1961.

At the time Woodside was one of the four fire stations that made up the Croydon Fire Brigade. They were

No 1 station, Old Town, Croydon (HQ)

No 2 station, Long Lane, Woodside

No 3 station, Brigstock Road, Thornton Heath

No 4 station, Lodge Lane, New Addington

Plus No 5 station which was the Auxiliary fire station attached to No 1 station at Old Town.

Croydon Fire Brigade was merged into the London Fire Brigade in 1965.

Woodford School

  • CB143
  • Corporate body
  • 1867

Woodford School was a private day-school for girls. A few boarders were also taken. Boys were taught in the preparatory classes. The school originated in 1867, established by Miss Annie Waters, who was joined shortly afterwards by her sister, Jennie Waters. It was originally located in the family home at 9 George Street, Croydon; but in 1878 the family and school moved into a new house at 8 Dingwall Road. This was named Woodford House after the village of Woodford, Wilts, where the family originated. The school subsequently expanded into the two neighbouring houses, 7 and 9 Dingwall Road. The Misses Waters retired in 1900, and Miss AHB Walford became headmistress; she was succeeded in 1927 by Miss Mary Horsley, an old girl of the school, who had taught there since 1919. The name changed in 1916 from Woodford House School to Woodford School. The school went into decline during World War 2. The Senior School closed in 1942; and, after Mary Horsley died in 1945, the surviving Junior School also closed.

The Old Girls Association (WOGA) was established in March 1902. It went into abeyance during World War 2; and was wound up after the death of Miss Horsley, and the closure of the school, in 1945. It was revived in 1951 by Phyllis Fretwell (nee Densham) and Valerie Williams, who became joint secretaries. It established strong links with Mary Horsleys sisters, Misses Margaret and Gwendolen (Dee) Horsley: Margaret, who had been Secretary of the school, was elected President of WOGA. The Association was finally wound up in 1984.

Woodford School

  • CB155
  • Corporate body
  • 1867

Woodford School was a superior private day-school for girls. A few boarders were also taken. Boys were taught in the preparatory classes. The school originated in 1867, established by Miss Annie Waters, who was joined shortly afterwards by her sister, Jennie Waters. It was originally located in the family home at 9 George Street, Croydon; but in 1878 the family and school moved into a new house at 8 Dingwall Road. This was named Woodford House after the village of Woodford, Wilts, where the family originated. The school subsequently expanded into the two neighbouring houses, 7 and 9 Dingwall Road. The Misses Waters retired in 1900, and Miss AHB Walford became headmistress; she was succeeded in 1927 by Miss Mary Horsley, an old girl of the school, who had taught there since 1919. The name changed in 1916 from Woodford House School to Woodford School. The school went into decline during World War 2, and closed in 1945, after the death of Mary Horsley.

Woodford Old Girls Association

  • CB048
  • Corporate body
  • 1902-1969

Woodford School was a superior private day-school for girls. A few boarders were also taken. Boys were taught in the preparatory classes. The school originated in 1867, established by Miss Annie Waters, who was joined shortly afterwards by her sister, Jennie Waters. It was originally located in the family home at 9 George Street, Croydon; but in 1878 the family and school moved into a new house at 8 Dingwall Road. This was named Woodford House after the village of Woodford, Wilts, where the family originated. The school subsequently expanded into the two neighbouring houses, 7 and 9 Dingwall Road. The Misses Waters retired in 1900, and Miss AHB Walford became headmistress; she was succeeded in 1927 by Miss Mary Horsley, an old girl of the school, who had taught there since 1919. The name. changed in 1916 from Woodford House School to Woodford School. The school went into decline during World War 2, and closed in 1945, after the death of Mary Horsley.

The Old Girls Association (WOGA) seems to have been established before 1902. It went into abeyance during World War 2; and was wound up after the death of Miss Horsley, and the closure of the school, in 1945. It was revived in 1951 by Phyllis Fretwell (nee Densham) and Valerie Williams, who became joint secretaries. It established a strong association with Mary Horsleys sisters, Misses Margaret and Gwendolen (Dee) Horsley: Margaret, who had been Secretary of the school, was elected President of WOGA. The Association survived until 1984.

Womens International League

  • CB141
  • Corporate body
  • 1917

The Womens International League (in full, the Womens International League for Peace and Freedom) was founded in the Hague in 1915. The Croydon and District Branch was established in about November 1917. The League was based on the principles of 'right rather than might', and of co-operation rather than conflict in national and international affairs. Its convictions were broadly internationalist, pacifist (in favour of disarmament) and humanitarian: the specific details of its policies and interests varied from time to time.

The Branch organised lectures (ranging from travelogues to overtly political meetings), and fundraising events; and it was periodically involved in political lobbying. The Annual General Meeting was normally held in March, April or May. The Branch was wound up as a formal body in June 1976, although there was a proposal that it should continue as an informal discussion group.

The principal officers were:

Presidents: Miss Theodora E Clark (1920-1927)

Mrs Hugh Crosfield (1927-1933)

Mrs Benham (1933-1937)

Miss M Glazier (1937-1949)

Mrs Alan Philpott JP (1950-1951)

Mrs BW Thomas JP (1951-1956)

Mrs Ritchie Calder (1956-1962)

Mrs (Dr) Cynthia Harris JP (1962-1965)

Mrs CE Checker (1965-1968)

Miss Dorothy L Bing (1969-1976)

Chairmen: Mrs Barbara Duncan Harris (1919-1920)

Mrs Lucy Backhouse (1920-1921)

Miss Lucy F Morland (1921-1922)

Mrs de Jastrzebski (1922-1924)

Mrs I MacGregor Ross (1924-1925)

Miss Lucy F Morland (1925-1926)

Mrs BW Thomas (1926-1927)

Mrs Barbara Duncan Harris (1927-1931)

Miss Edith L Hayler (1931-1935)

Mrs Mary Grindley (1935-1937)

Miss Edith L Hayler (1937-[1938])

Mrs Olive E Berwick Sayers (1947-1948)

Mrs MH Kinnish (1948-1949)

Mrs Phyllis G Mitchiner (1949-1951) [resigned over the issue of rearmament]

Mrs MH Kinnish (1951-2)

Mrs Elsie Wise (1952-3)

Mrs Olive E Berwick Sayers (1953-7)

Mrs MH Kinnish (1957-1967)

Mrs SE Humphreys (1967-1976)

Wolsey Infant School

  • CB024
  • Corporate body
  • 1949 - 1991

Wolsey Primary School was opened on 14 June 1949 with the Head Teacher and some of the pupils being transferred from Overbury Primary School. Until 09 April 1951, when a separate Infants School was opened, the Infants School was a Department of the Junior School. The Teacher - in - Charge of Infants was Miss M.E.Mooney who subsequently becane Headteacher (until 1968) of the new Wolsey Infant School.

Winterbourne Junior Girls School

  • CB027
  • Corporate body
  • 1936 - 1996

Opened as a post-infants girls school in 1907. Reorganised for junior girls only in April 1932. Evacuated to Moulscomb School, Brighton, Sussex on 4 September 1939. Returned to Croydon 1 April 1940.

Winterbourne Junior Boys School

  • CB087
  • Corporate body
  • 1906

Opened as a combined boys, girls and infants school on 27 August 1906, but became a boys school on 1 January 1907.

Winterbourne Girls School

  • CB140
  • Corporate body
  • 1931

This book records a school visit to Sussex made by 47 girls (aged roughly 9-13) from Winterbourne Girls School, Croydon, over the fortnight 8-22 May 1931. The mistresses in charge were Miss JE Cash (the headmistress), Miss Townley, and Miss Cook. The group stayed in Seaford, but also visited Lewes, Newhaven, Cuckmere, Beachy Head, Alfriston, West Dean, etc. They studied various aspects of the area, including nature, history, geography, etc. This was the third year that the school had made such a trip, and was also the last, as in April 1932 the school was reorganised for Junior Girls onl

Wildbores Infants School

  • CB089
  • Corporate body
  • 1872

Founded by 29 January 1872. First log book entitled Christ Church Wildbores National School. Closed probably in March 1921.

Whitehorse Manor Infants School

  • CB090
  • Corporate body
  • 1892

Opened 15 June 1892 as Whitehorse Road Infants School. Later became Whitehorse Manor Infants School.

Westwood High School

  • CB091
  • Corporate body
  • 1958

Founded 2 May 1905 as Ingram Road Senior Girls School. From 1922, known as Ingram Senior Girls School. Moved to Spurgeon Road in 1958 and became known as Westwood High School. It changed its name to Westwood Language College for Girls in 2002.

West Thornton Primary School

  • CB092
  • Corporate body
  • 1896 - 1995

Boston Road Schools were opened on 25 August 1896. In 1921 or 1922 they were remaned West Thornton. From 1896 until 1931 there were separate Departments for Infants, Post-Infant Girls and Post-Infant Boys. From 11 Sept 1931 Senior Boys and Girls went elsewhere leaving separate Departments for Infants, Junior Girls and Junior Boys. Then on 1 September 1955, the Junior Girls and Boys were combined into one Junior Mixed Department and on 1 September 1958 the Infants and Juniors were brought together to form one Primary School.

To summarise the above paragraph:

1896 - 1958 Infants

and

1896 - 1931 Post Infant Girls and Post Infant Boys

1931 - 1955 Junior Girls and Junior Boys

1955 - 1958 Junior Mixed

1958 onwards Primary

In September 1939 the schools were evacuated to Brighton, but re-opened in Boston Road in April 1940.

In April 1976 the school vacated its original premises in Boston Road and moved into premises earlier occupied by Lanfranc Girls School (Rosecourt Road).

Waddon Infant School

  • CB094
  • Corporate body
  • 1927

Opened as Waddon Infant and Junior School in Cooper Road, Waddon, on 16 May 1927. In 1930 the school was reorganised to form Waddon Infant School and Waddon Junior School. In 1934, the schools were again combined to form Waddon Infant and Junior School. The school was evacuated to East Grinstead, Sussex, in September 1939, with some children going to Exeter, Devon. The school returned to Waddon in December 1943. In 1952, Duppas Infant and Junior School was reorganised as a junior school and on 1 September 1953, Waddon Infant and Junior School became Waddon Infant School. The school moved from Cooper Road to new premises in Purley Way in August 1954.

Venturas Club

  • CB154
  • Corporate body
  • 1946

The Venturas Club was a youth club started by the Thornton Heath Ratepayers and Residents Association in c.1946. It continued until c.1958. Jeanne Joy (n233e Bamford) was a member and her late husband, Monty Joy, was Secretary and later Chairman. His brother Vic was also a member in the early days. Jeanne has written a detailed history of the Club which is included in the collection (see accession file).

Results 1 to 25 of 264