Showing 26 results

Authority record
Family

Mr and Mrs R C Thomas

  • F003
  • Family
  • 1929

Mr Ralph Cachemaille Thomas married Miss Elsie Florence Uffindell on August 31st 1929 at St Clements Church, Great Ilford. They celebrated their silver wedding anniversery on 31st August 1954 when they were living at 112 Fairlands Avenue, Thornton Heath.

Loxton and Ward Family

  • F004
  • Family
  • 1886

The Loxton and Ward families have a connection with the Bird in the Hand Public House , Sydenham Road, Croydon through the donors grandmother Hilda Annie Loxton (nee Ward) who was at one time the proprietor. The 1886 street directory lists the Bird in the Hand as 51 Sydenham Road North with George Ward, her father, as proprietor. Her name first appears as such in the 1909 street directory, as Mrs Loxton. She married Frederick Percival Duckering 12 June 1928. Thereafter the entry in the 1932 street directory reads Mrs Duckering at 239. She last appears in the 1937 street directory at 291 and 293. By 1939 the entry reads F J Stratford.

Martin and Stevens Family

  • F005
  • Family
  • 1915

Private William Frederick Martin was born in Clapham, the son of Mr. Ernest John and Mrs. A. A. Martin, later of 54 Priory Road, West Croydon, Surrey. In the First World War he fought for the Queens 2nd Battalion of the Royal West Surrey Regiment. He was killed in action at Festubert whilst serving with the British Expeditionary Force on the 16th May 1915 at the age of 19. His grave is unknown but there is a memorial to him at Le Touret Military Cemetery in France.

Sergeant Frederick William Stevens was born at Godstone, the son of Fred William and Louisa Elizabeth Stevens of 2, Jubilee Terrace, Dorking. He was a member of the Queens 1st Battalion of the Royal West Surrey Regiment during the First World War but died on Wednesday 16th January 1918 at the age of 23. He is buried in Dorking Cemetery in Surrey.

Henry George Stevens was an Ordinary Seaman on H.M.S. Queen Mary he died at sea on Wednesday 31st May 1916, and having no grave, he is mentioned on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial in Hampshire.

Private William Stevens was also a member of the 1st Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment.

Waghorne and Miles

  • F007
  • Family
  • 1789

The Waghorn(e) wheelwright and carriagebuilding family business probably originated with Samuel Waghom /, in the Limpsfield or Titsey area of Surrey. Samuel Waghome // (0 789-1858) moved to Croydon in about 1819. By 1826 he was associated with Richard Jones (an established coachbuilder) on the west side of the High Street; and by 1834 appears to have been running the business alone. His premises (numbered 83 High Street by 1851, renumbered 146 High Street in 1886, and renumbered 252 High Street in c1931) were to remain the firms headquarters for some eighty years. Samuel II died in October 1858, aged 69, but the business continued to be known as Samuel Waghorne, presumably run by his widow, Harriet (c1789-1867), and their son, Thomas (0822-1868). In Warrens Directory for 1865-6, the firm is named Waghorne and Son. A Harriet Waghome (probably a daughter) also worked as a milliner and dressmaker from the same address.

After the deaths in close succession of Harriet (senior) and Thomas, the business was taken over in 1868 by James T Miles, and renamed Waghome and Miles. The firm prospered in the latter part of the nineteenth century as a builder of superior carriages of various types. Its customers included various prominent members of the establishment, both from Croydon and from further afield. The firm undertook van and cart building on a separate site. From 1902 it also built motor car bodies.

In about 1906 the firm was bought up by Marchant and Sons, a firm of coachbuilders established at 34 Tamworth Road in about 1873. Marchant and Sons took over the High Street premises, and continued to operate from that address until the 1950s.

Wilkinson and Baldwin

  • F008
  • Family
  • 1639

Both men lived in Croydon area. Nicholas Baldwin was a shoemaker who died in 1639 and was buried on 17th Dec 1639

Todhunter, Dowle and Rollason families

  • F002
  • Family
  • 1869

The photographs and papers relate to Ernest Rollason, and members of his wifes family, several of whom were teachers or head teachers in Croydon. Ernest Rollasons wife was Winifred Westlake Dowle (b1887), who had been a Pupil Teacher at St Andrews School, Croydon, and then a teacher at St Michaels School, Sydenham, before marrying and later returned to St Andrews as a supply teacher. Winifreds father, Edmund Dowle, was head of the Parish Church Boys School, Croydon, 1882-1894; and of the Senior Boys School, 1894-1895. Her mother, n233e Alice Todhunter (c1860-1898), was the sister of Emily J Todhunter (1869-1909), head of St Andrews Girls (Upper) School, 1884-1908, and of Isaac Todhunter, head of the Parish Church Junior Boys School, ?1894-1909. FA (or JA) Todhunter, head of St Marks Girls School, 1884-1886, was presumably another relation. Mary Large (c1856-1936), head of St Andrews Infants School 1884-1908, had close associations with the family: after the death of Alice Dowle in 1898, Miss Large brought up her two children (Winifred and a younger brother); and she later became godmother to Winifreds son, Geoffrey Rollason, and brought him up while his father, Ernest, was away in the army in World War I.

Ernest F Rollason (c1881-1957) was apprenticed as a pupil teacher at Holly Hall Schools, Dudley, 1895-1899; and then trained at Westminster Teacher Training College, 1899-1901. His first teaching post was as an Assistant at Oval Road School, Croydon, 1902-1903. He then taught at Beulah Road Boys School, Croydon, 1903-1915, before leaving to join the army. At the end of the War, he went to teach at Tavistock Grove Senior Mixed School, where he remained (despite several applications for headships) until his retirement in 1942.

Chadderton Family

  • F006
  • Family
  • 1884

Jessie (b. 1884) and Dora Chadderton (b. 1890) were born in Lancashire and later moved to London. The sisters lived with their uncle Albert and Aunt Martha in Camberwell. Jessie at 17 was already in teacher training. Both girls lived and worked in the Camberwell area (as the photographs illustrate). In 1927 Albert moved to Croydon, 28 Tunstall Road. Jessie by this time was married to Mr Percy Wood. There is no record that Dora married. Also there are records that Jessie did work in the Croydon area.

Tomes Family

  • F014
  • Family
  • 1959 - 1961

The Hill Barn Open Air Theatre was in operation at Hill Barn, 101, Purley Downs Road, Purley. It put on 2 productions, one in 1960 and the second in 1961 before the property was sold to developers and the site forms part of the Maywater Close Development.

King Family

  • F011
  • Family
  • c. 1879 - 1941
Results 1 to 25 of 26