Showing 679 results

Authority record

Southern Pathfinders

  • CB191
  • Corporate body
  • 1931

The Southern Pathfinders (often called 'Sopats') were a Croydon-based rambling club, founded in March 1931 by Victor Morecroft of Addiscombe. Early members were recruited through a letter published in the Croydon Advertiser, and at the end of the first year there were 111 members. The club disbanded during World War II, but was revived in 1946. Regular rambles, generally in Surrey, Sussex and Kent, were organised; and there were also night walks, tours lasting several days, and (until 1969) purely social events. The club is still active in 1997.

The Club was affiliated to various national countryside bodies, including the National Council of Ramblers Associations (afterwards the Ramblers Association), and the Youth Hostels Association. It was at a meeting organised by the club in December 1933 that the Croydon YHA, the first independent branch of the national organisation, was initiated.

Victor Morecroft (1899-1984) was the founder and first Hon Secretary of the club. He left in 1934; but returned in 1953 to become Chairman, then Vice-President from 1955, and President from 1977 until his death in 1984. Herbert Gatliff (1897-1977), a high-ranking but eccentric civil servant with numerous country interests, served as the first Chairman, and later as President, until his death in 1977: he devised the club motto, 'We wont go cosy'. Another important figure was Harold Ockenden (1908-1988), who succeeded Morecroft as Secretary in 1934, became Treasurer in 1946, and Vice-President from 1969 until his death in 1988: for most of this period, he also continued to act as Secretary.

Woodside Swimming Club

  • CB184
  • Corporate body
  • 1887

The Club was founded on 4 May 1887, although its earliest minute book has not survived. It went into abeyance during World War 2 (1940-1946). In January 1980, the Club merged with Thornton Heath Ladies Swimming Club, to become Woodside and Thornton Heath Swimming Club. The Club was based until 1940 at South Norwood Baths (Birchanger Road). The Baths were closed in April 1940, and never re-opened. After the Club was revived in 1946, it was based at Thornton Heath Baths (High Street, Thornton Heath).

The Clubs activities included racing and other competitive events, water polo, and an annual 'Entertainment' (consisting of serious and light-hearted competitions). Prominent members of the Club at various dates included Alderman Alfred T Layton; Sidney Herbert MP (afterwards Earl of Pembroke and Montgomery); Frederick Foss; Sir Thomas Edridge; Sir FT Edridge; FC Venn; HP Venn; Percy Phipps; WH Hoveman; Maurice Riesco; and RFA Riesco.

Womens International League

  • CB141
  • Corporate body
  • 1917

The Womens International League (in full, the Womens International League for Peace and Freedom) was founded in the Hague in 1915. The Croydon and District Branch was established in about November 1917. The League was based on the principles of 'right rather than might', and of co-operation rather than conflict in national and international affairs. Its convictions were broadly internationalist, pacifist (in favour of disarmament) and humanitarian: the specific details of its policies and interests varied from time to time.

The Branch organised lectures (ranging from travelogues to overtly political meetings), and fundraising events; and it was periodically involved in political lobbying. The Annual General Meeting was normally held in March, April or May. The Branch was wound up as a formal body in June 1976, although there was a proposal that it should continue as an informal discussion group.

The principal officers were:

Presidents: Miss Theodora E Clark (1920-1927)

Mrs Hugh Crosfield (1927-1933)

Mrs Benham (1933-1937)

Miss M Glazier (1937-1949)

Mrs Alan Philpott JP (1950-1951)

Mrs BW Thomas JP (1951-1956)

Mrs Ritchie Calder (1956-1962)

Mrs (Dr) Cynthia Harris JP (1962-1965)

Mrs CE Checker (1965-1968)

Miss Dorothy L Bing (1969-1976)

Chairmen: Mrs Barbara Duncan Harris (1919-1920)

Mrs Lucy Backhouse (1920-1921)

Miss Lucy F Morland (1921-1922)

Mrs de Jastrzebski (1922-1924)

Mrs I MacGregor Ross (1924-1925)

Miss Lucy F Morland (1925-1926)

Mrs BW Thomas (1926-1927)

Mrs Barbara Duncan Harris (1927-1931)

Miss Edith L Hayler (1931-1935)

Mrs Mary Grindley (1935-1937)

Miss Edith L Hayler (1937-[1938])

Mrs Olive E Berwick Sayers (1947-1948)

Mrs MH Kinnish (1948-1949)

Mrs Phyllis G Mitchiner (1949-1951) [resigned over the issue of rearmament]

Mrs MH Kinnish (1951-2)

Mrs Elsie Wise (1952-3)

Mrs Olive E Berwick Sayers (1953-7)

Mrs MH Kinnish (1957-1967)

Mrs SE Humphreys (1967-1976)

Thornton Heath Ratepayers Association

  • CB138
  • Corporate body
  • 1893

Thornton Heath Ratepayers Association was in existence by 1893. In 1947 it was renamed the Thornton Heath Ratepayers Residents Association; and it survived until at least the late 1960s. Like other Ratepayers Associations, it was a local community body for Thornton Heath ward which put forward candidates for election to Croydon Borough Council. It claimed to be 'non-sectarian and non-political', but was broadly anti-socialist; and it believed in 'a co-operative effort to secure the best representation and the maximum efficiency of administration in the interest of all'. It was a member of the Croydon Federation of Ratepayers Associations. It had a junior section, called the Venturas Club.

In general, the Associations meetings concerned themselves with the selection of election candidates; discussions about local amenities; and the organisation of social, fundraising, and philanthropic events.

The Associations principal officers and representatives on the Council over this period were:

Presidents: WJ Palmer (1929)-1930

EEL Arkell 1930-1946

DG Stewart 1946-1948

JW Dowsett 1948-1949

FS Martin 1949-1950

P Durrant 1950-1951

Mrs VT Davies 1951-(1952)

Hon Secs: TJH Pitman (1929)-1935

JE Herod 1935-1937

WG Morris 1937-1941

Mrs Morris 1941-1943

Mrs VT Davies 1943-1946

John Davies 1946-1947

Mrs Rodda 1947-1948

FS Martin 1948-1949

JB Pickles 1949-(1952)

Councillors: John Hicks 1921-1929

WJ Little 1922-1923

Dr C Owen Fowler 1922-1928

WJ Palmer 1923-1926

EEL Arkell 1926-1941; elected Alderman 1941

[Mrs MCL Cullis unsuccessful candidate 1928]

[TW Manley unsuccessful candidate 1929]

WH Parry 1930-1936

M Lynch 1931-1947

HW Anderton 1936-1940

DG Stewart 1940-1945; 1946-1956; elected Alderman 1956

F Harding 1942-1945

[JEW Robinson unsuccessful candidate 1945]

JW Dowsett 1947-1954

Frank S Martin 1949-1952

The Croydon Writers Circle

  • CB145
  • Corporate body
  • 1945

The Croydon Writers Circle was founded in June 1945 on the initiative of Nancy Martin (who became the first Secretary), and with the active support of WC Berwick Sayers, Chief Librarian of Croydon (who became the first Chairman). Cyril Spackman, a local sculptor, offered his Studio in Edridge Road, free of charge, as a meeting place and headquarters. The aim of the society was to 'unite writers in the Croydon area for mutual assistance in the art of authorship, the discussion of its theory and practice and the disposal of literary work'.

The Circle began with 30-40 members; but by the time it reached its sixth year there were 104 members, and it was the second largest such circle in the country. It had many honorary members, who included Agnes Allen, John Gordon (editor of the Sunday Express) and Cicely Mary Barker (author of the Flower Fairy books).

Monthly meetings were and are held and so are group meetings for the purpose of reading and criticising members manuscripts. As a result of the society many books, scripts and articles etc. have been published. They also sponsored and organised Croydons first Authors Book Week in 1949. They regularly hold exhibitions of members work and hold meetings with famous guest speakers. Many of their members have won awards for their work and have become prolific authors as a result of the circle.

The Circle changed its name to the Croydon and District Writers Circle in 1985.

South Norwood Ladies Swimming Club

  • CB127
  • Corporate body
  • 1883

South Norwood Ladies Swimming Club was formed in 1883 after a meeting at 'Sunnyside', South Norwood Park, the residence of Charles Horsley. This resulted in the inauguration of a club which, from the end of the nineteenth century until 1914, was the largest ladies swimming club in England, with a membership of over two hundred. At the time of its dissolution in 1934, after 51 years, it was also the oldest club of its kind. The club was based at the South Norwood Baths (Birchanger Road), and played a large part in the campaign for their modernisation from a small open-air bath to an enlarged covered facility, completed in 1913. Every year various activities were organised, including racing, other competitive events and the annual Entertainment (consisting of serious and light-hearted events). This did not take place during the years 1916-1919, when the Admiralty was using the baths to store the furniture of soldiers away fighting. Because of the War, membership of the Club fell from around 200 to 50 and never fully recovered. The problem was exacerbated by the coal strike in 1921 which meant that the baths were once again closed and the Entertainment had to be cancelled, whilst other clubs continued to function as normal; and also by changes in the district and the lack of younger members coming up to replace the Seniors. In 1934, with membership down to 33, the decision was taken to dissolve the Club.

During its existence, the Club attached great importance to the teaching of life-saving techniques, and a total of 157 awards from the Royal Life-Saving Society were gained by members. In addition, it was notable for being the first club to use a musical swimming drill; and for leading the way in the adoption of a practical ladies swimming costume.

The Honorary Secretaries of the club were:

Mrs. Horsley (1 year) 1883-1884

Mrs. Botterill (1 year) 1884-1885

Mrs. Lynch (3 years) 1885-1888

Mrs. Frederic Cooper (4 years) 1888-1892

Miss Mabel Cooper (7 years) 1892-1899

Miss Fannie Moore (26 years) 1899-1925

Mrs. Stuart Carter (1 year) 1925-1926

Mrs. Tom Sutton (7 years) 1926-1933

Miss Fannie Moore (1 year) 1933-1934

Sanderstead Preservation Society

  • CB124
  • Corporate body
  • 1961

The Sanderstead Preservation Society was formed on Sunday 16 April 1961, when 19 local residents called a meeting to discuss opposition to the reported intention of the Coulsdon and Purley Urban District Council to develop land adjoining Sanderstead Pond for a clinic. The residents present felt that a specialist body was needed, as the Sanderstead Residents Association would not be able to focus its attention entirely on the problem. The S.P.S. was therefore founded, its stated purposes being 'the preservation and good development of Sanderstead, its natural beauty and its buildings of historical and architectural interest'. The society was non-political, non-religious and non-profit-making. In addition, the committee made it clear that the society was not in competition with the Sanderstead Residents Association, there being a member from each society sitting on the committee of the other.

The first campaign of the S.P.S. was a success. Canvassing of the whole of the Sanderstead area resulted in a petition of 1200 signatures, which led to plans for the development of the land next to Sanderstead Pond being dropped. The society also managed to protect the same land (called the Gruffy) when it was threatened by a car park, by providing an alternative site at the old Express Dairy. It was greatly responsible, in 1968, for the eventual designation of the Gruffy as an open space for all time, along with Kings Wood, Sanderstead Plantation and Croham Hurst.

Representatives from the S.P.S. attended development appeals and made suggestions for the future of the district. As well as opposing planning proposals, the society played a large part in nature conservation in Sanderstead - for example, the protection of old trees and the planting of new ones. It was also responsible for the clearing out of Sanderstead Pond, the organisation of a new, pumped, water supply, and the improvement of the surrounding area. Not all campaigns, however, were successful. The Society failed to remove Sanderstead from Greater London, and to block plans for a roundabout at the top of Sanderstead Hill.

The society published a book in 1972 called The Story of Sanderstead, by Basil H. Tripp; and, in 1970, instigated the week long Sanderstead Festival. The S.P.S. was affiliated to the Council for the Preservation of Rural England, the Surrey Amenity Council, the Commons, Open Spaces and Footpaths Preservation Society and the Civic Trust.

The Presidents of the Sanderstead Preservation Society were Godfrey Talbot, a well-known B.B.C. reporter and commentator who lived in Sanderstead, from 1961-1975; followed by G.S. Smart (1975-?).

Rogers

  • F001
  • Family
  • 1859 - 1958

The Rogers family originally came from Beckenham. Edward Rogers (1836-1924) set up business as a corn merchant in Thornton Heath in about 1880 (at 71 Thornton Heath; renumbered 280 London Road in 1889; and also known as the Unicorn Granaries). The business was taken over in about 1889 by two of his sons, Edward William Rogers (1864-1958) and S Rogers [Stephen or Sydney]: its name changed to EW S Rogers in about 1894, although in fact S Rogers retired from the partnership only a year or so later. In about 1895, the business opened a retail shop at 62 High Street, Croydon. The London Road premises were seriously damaged by fire in 1895, and again in 1902. In the twentieth century, the firm came to specialise in seeds and horticultural supplies. The High Street shop moved a few doors to 72 High Street in 1921; and the London Road premises (renumbered 516 in 1927) were given up in about 1931. The business closed in 1957. EW Rogers died a few months later, in April 1958.

Alice Maria Skinner (c1866-1908) was the daughter of James Arthur Skinner (1839-1907) - a builder, and Mayor of Eastbourne in the 1890s. She grew up in Eastbourne, and went to school in Tunbridge Wells, but regularly visited relations and friends in Croydon. She married Edward William Rogers (her cousin) in 1893, and lived in Croydon for the rest of her life. They had a daughter, Mildred Elizabeth Rogers ('Millie'), born in 1894. Alice died in April 1908. EW Rogers was subsequently married a second time, to Kate Beatrice [--] (c1885-1922).

Norwood Auxilliary of British and Foreign Bible Soceity

  • CB126
  • Corporate body
  • 1838 - 1938

The Norwood Ladies Bible Association was founded on 5 September 1838, at the Chapel Road Congregational Church, West (then Lower) Norwood. It was presumably originally an independent body; but by the 1850s (if not earlier) it was affiliated to the British and Foreign Bible Society (founded 1804). By 1866, it was known as the Norwood Ladies Auxiliary to the BFBS. In 1895, the Auxiliary was reconstituted, and at the same time became a less exclusively ladies body: it was renamed the Norwood Auxiliary; a President (Ernest Tritton) and Vice-Presidents (most of the Anglican and nonconformist ministers of West and Upper Norwood) were appointed for the first time; and it also acquired a male Secretary and Financial Secretary.

The Associations stated object in its early days was to aid 'the circulation of the Bible in its own neighbourhood and throughout the world'. Initially, its main work was to encourage the spread of the Bible in Norwood: bibles were sold for weekly or monthly payments from a penny upwards. Later, although it continued to have some involvement in the local sale of bibles, the Auxiliary became more concerned with fundraising on behalf of the parent Society, to further the publication of the Bible in an increasing number of languages, and the sale and distribution of copies overseas. Fundraising was achieved through collections from individual church congregations, supplemented by subscriptions, work sales, collections made at lectures on missionary work, etc.

The Auxiliary had a Juvenile Association, and was associated with the Norwood Bible Union.

The Auxiliary was closely associated for many years with the Tritton family (who were responsible for saving many of these records). Joseph Tritton (a banker) and his wife Amelia lived in Norwood from about 1850. Mrs Tritton served as Treasurer of the Auxiliary from 1853 until her death in 1908. She was succeeded by her daughter, Jessie M Tritton, already an active worker for the Auxiliary, who was Treasurer 1908-1925. Joseph (d 1887), a prominent Baptist, was a Vice President of the BFBS (and seems to have been informally regarded as President of the Auxiliary); and his son, (Sir) Ernest Tritton (MP for Norwood), was elected President of the Auxiliary in 1895, and served until his death in 1918. He was succeeded by his widow, Lady Edith Tritton, until her own death in 1921. Meetings were frequently held at the family house at Bloomfield, Central Hill.

PRESIDENTS

(Sir) Ernest Tritton 1895-1918

Lady Edith Tritton 1919-1921

Admiral Horsley 1921-1925

Dr SW Carruthers 1925-(1938)

Norbury Junior Imperial League Ramblers

  • CB136
  • Corporate body
  • 1924

The Junior Imperial League (or 'Imps') was an organisation for young conservatives and imperialists. The Norbury Branch was established in 1924. Its activities included debates, dances etc, and particularly rambling. The group went on rambles in rural Surrey (around Coulsdon, Warlingham, Caterham, Tatsfield, Limpsfield, Merstham, Epsom Downs, Box Hill, Headley, Oxted, etc). Walks were normally about 10-15 miles in distance. There were two joint rambles with the Surbiton Branch (May and August 1935). An Annual Outing to Eastbourne took place in June 1935.

Metal Propellers Ltd

  • CB170
  • Corporate body
  • 1925

Metal Propellers Ltd was established by Henry Leitner and Dr Henry Watts, two engineers who had collaborated in designing a hollow steel aircraft propeller (an improvement on the wooden propellers which were then standard). They established a syndicate called the Metal Airscrew Co Ltd during the First World War, to carry out experimental research work; and this resulted in the production of the 'Leitner-Watts' propeller, which successfully passed official tests in 1917 and 1918, and flew successfully in 1920. The firm was subsequently established as a manufacturing company under the name of Metal Propellers Ltd, and opened its general offices and works at 74 Purley Way, Croydon, in 1925. The Directors included Viscount Elibank, Captain HH Balfour (later Under Secretary of State for Air, and eventually Lord Balfour) and Air Vice Marshal Sir Godfrey Paine. Major General Sir Sefton Brancker (Director of Civil Aviation at the Air Ministry) also had an interest.

The company supplied propellers for the R101 airship. These were apparently not the propellers fitted when the R101 crashed tragically in October 1930; but the disaster was nonetheless a severe setback for the company, as the dead included both Sir Godfrey Paine and Sir Sefton Brancker.

As well as propellers, the company manufactured other items in stainless steel, for a range of domestic and industrial uses; and it eventually evolved into a general engineering company, specialising in stainless steel. It later became associated with Saunders-Roe Ltd, flying-boat builders. In 1960, it acquired the neighbouring company in the Purley Way, the Standard Steel Co (1929) Ltd, structural engineers; and in 1962 it merged with LA Mitchell Ltd, chemical and industrial drying engineers of Manchester. It closed down in 1973.

Phyllis Devereux (b 1914) joined the firm in 1930 as a trainee technical assistant to Dr Watts, having been recruited from Lady Edridge School. She left the firm in 1934.

Maria Mee Cooper

  • P021
  • Person
  • 1819

Maria Mee Cooper (b c1819) was the second wife of George Cooper (c1812-1880), surgeon, of 4 George Street, Croydon. Alfred ('Fred') (c1852-1875) was the eldest of their four children (although George had at least two older children, George and Henrietta, by his first wife).

Horne Brothers Ltd

  • CB129
  • Corporate body
  • 1938

Horne Brothers Ltd was a national chain of gentlemens outfitters, with about 15 branches at the date of this album. The Croydon branch opened in November 1938, at 38-40 North End, in premises ('Whitgift House') formerly occupied by Charles Baker, tailors and outfitters. It closed in February 1991.

E Company, Home Guard

  • CB133
  • Corporate body
  • 1940

The Local Defence Volunteers were formed in May 1940, and was renamed the Home Guard in July 1940. The Croydon area came under the 'Z Metropolitan Zone' (later 'Z Sector'); and an Addington Sub-zone was established. This was superseded by the 59th Surrey (Addington) Battalion, which was officially formed on 1 Feb 1941: as well as Addington, it covered the Sanderstead and Warlingham areas. The Commanding Officer was Lt-Col HE ('Joe') Peirce, JP. 'E Company' was based in Selsdon. The Home Guard was officially disbanded on 31 December 1944. There was a Stand Down Parade for 'Z Sector' on 26 November; and local parades for the individual battalions on 3 December.

Dr [later Professor] RG Newton

  • P008
  • Person
  • 1945

The survey of rookeries and winter rook roosts in the area of the CNHSS Regional Survey was undertaken in 1945 by Dr [later Professor] RG Newton, as a contribution to the Rook Investigation, a project carried out under the direction of James Fisher (d 1970) for the Agricultural Research Council. The results were published as RG Newton, 'Rook Survey Work' by the Ornithological Section, Proceedings of the CNHSS, vol 11 (1948), pp309-314. An introductory paper by RG Newton and James Fisher, 'The Reasons for the Survey of Winter Roosts used by Rooks', explaining some of the methodology used, is published in the same place, pp303-308.

Croydon Industrial Chaplaincy

  • CB128
  • Corporate body
  • 1950

The Croydon Industrial Chaplaincy was formed in 1950, on the initiative of Bishop Cuthbert Bardsley, to work for the 'advancement of the Christian Religion in industry'. It was originally known as the Bishop of Croydon's Industrial Chaplaincy; but from the late 1960s was more usually called simply Croydon Industrial Chaplaincy. Although established under the auspices of the Church of England, it was not attached to a particular parish, and was intended to be non-denominational in character (in 1978 it acquired a United Reformed Church chaplain). The Chaplaincy was initially supported entirely by subscriptions and donations from businesses and individuals (an arrangement apparently unique among industrial chaplaincies); but from 1964 it became increasingly dependent on Church of England funding.

There was one full-time chaplain 1950-1967; two 1967-1979; and one again for the last few months in 1979. From 1960, a number of other local clergy also assisted on a part-time basis. The number of companies belonging to the scheme varied, but there were normally around 25. The chaplains undertook a programme of regular visits to the factories and shops of member companies; some pastoral work (visits to the sick etc); and events such as the Industrial Harvest Festival, held regularly from 1952 onwards. The work of the Chaplaincy was overseen by a small Committee, with the Bishop of Croydon as President. In 1969 an advisory Council was also established, to which all member companies could send delegates, but this seems to have ceased to meet after 1971. The Chaplaincy was wound up as a semi-autonomous body in March 1979, mainly for financial reasons. Its work, funds, and remaining chaplain (Charles Price) were taken over by the Archdeaconry of Croydon Training and Service (ACTS) Centre.

Full-time Chaplains: Rev Rex Bavington 1950-1954

Rev EC Wearne 1954-1958

Rev A Kenneth Sims 1958-1960

Rev T Roy Parsons 1960-1962

Rev Denis L Claringbull 1962-1971

Rev David Curwen 1967-1977

Rev Michael H Atkinson 1971-1979

Rev Charles EL Price 1978-1979

All the chaplains were Church of England priests, except Charles Price, who was a minister of the United Reformed Church.

Chairmen of Committee: Basil Monk 1950-1959

WG Thomas 1959-1961

Alec R Grant 1961-1964

Jack R Swift 1964-1970

Frank D Mann 1970-1973

Alec R Grant 1973-1977

Anthony Newell 1977-1979

Croydon Federation of Ratepayers Associations

  • CB125
  • Corporate body
  • 1890

Ratepayers Associations developed throughout Croydon from the 1890s onwards, each normally covering a single ward. Originally simple residents pressure groups, they soon began to put forward candidates for Council elections. They were technically non-partisan and non-political, but in fact attracted Conservatives and Liberals, and were openly anti-Labour. (Labour candidates were generally the only ones at this time who stood under a party banner.) The Associations were in favour of low rates, and routinely criticised the Council for unnecessary expenditure.

The Croydon Federation of Ratepayers Associations was formed in June 1903 as a loosely organised umbrella body.

In the late 1930s, the Federation became a more cohesive, and more politically active, body. For some time, anti-socialist members of the Council had felt the need for a united policy, and this had led to the formation of the 'Twenty-one Club', a caucus named after the initial number of members. The Club was criticised for being 'secret', non-accountable, and exclusive; and in 1938, as an alternative solution, a new Committee of all non-Labour aldermen and councillors was established under the auspices of the Federation. The Federation therefore became virtually a party in its own right, which could, on occasion, dictate policy to the individual Associations.

After World War 2, the influence of the Federation was diminished by the growing number of Conservative Party candidates. In an attempt to embrace as wide a constituency as possible, the Federation changed its name, first to the Croydon Federation of Ratepayers and Residents Associations; and then (in October 1956) to the Croydon Federation of Ratepayers, Residents and Electors associations. However, by the late 1950s the Federation was moribund, and it appears to have been wound up in the 1960s.

The Presidents of the Federation in the period covered by these records were Cllr AH Harding (to November 1939); succeeded by Alderman EEL Arkell. The Secretary was Frederic S Parsons to April 1945, when he was succeeded by Cllr WT Holcombe.

Croydon Darby and Joan Club

  • CB132
  • Corporate body
  • 1945

Croydon Darby and Joan Club was established in April 1945, at the initiative of the Mayor of Croydon, George Lewin, and with the support of Sir Herbert Williams MP. The first President was Geoffrey Fisher, Archibishop of Canterbury. It was the second Darby and Joan Club in the country, the first being at Streatham. The club was a social centre for the elderly: membership was free to all old age pensioners, and it offered cheap meals and teas, hot baths, leisure facilities (a lounge, a billiard room, a sewing room, a library, a television room, etc), and events such as whist drives and outings. The club was initially based in Haling Cottage, 76 Brighton Road (leased from the Whitgift Foundation), which formally opened in July 1945. It subsequently moved to freehold premises at 'Parkhyrst', 58 Addiscombe Road, which opened in July 1948.

The club was a Limited Company without share capital. It was largely financed by voluntary contributions, including one-off and covenanted donations; and through a range of fundraising activities.

Broad Green Fire Station

  • CB140
  • Corporate body
  • 1880 - 1907

In 1880, the existing Volunteer Fire Brigade (which had absorbed earlier brigades) was dissolved by the Local Board of Health, and superseded by a Retained Fire Brigade: this consisted of paid permanent firemen, and 'retained' firemen, who were used and paid as required. However, as a result of some disagreement, a new Volunteer Fire Brigade was established by a Captain Blogg, with himself as Chief. Its main station was in Church Street, and it also had a sub-station at Broad Green, at 149 (later 7) St Jamess Road. This Volunteer Fire Brigade was disbanded in 1886; but the Broad Green station was taken over by the Retained Fire Brigade (by now run by the Borough of Croydon), and numbered as Branch Fire Station No 6. It continued to be manned, like some of the other branch stations, on a voluntary basis. In 1903, there was a general reorganisation of staffing arrangements, and the volunteers became known as Auxiliary Firemen. The Broad Green station was closed in 1907, following the opening of a new enlarged Central Fire Station.

Francis Hadfield, who was largely responsible for compiling, and later preserving these books, was a fireman at Broad Green for much of this period. He eventually became fireman-in-charge, before standing down in 1905. A photograph of him in firemans uniform is held in the Local Studies Library photograph collection.

Alexander Sandison

  • P007
  • Person
  • 1854 - 1921

Alexander Sandison was born in April 1854 in Cullivoe, Yell, Shetland, the eldest of a family of ten. As the third in a series of eldest sons named Alexander, he was known within the family as Looie.

He was educated at the Queen Street Institution, Edinburgh, and later at Cheshunt College, Herts; and was ordained as a Congregational minister in 1880. He immediately took up the prestigious position of Pastor of the Kings Weigh House Church, in Fish Street Hill, City of London. The Church building was compulsorily purchased for railway development in 1883: Rev Alexander was then responsible for finding a new site at Duke Street, Grosvenor Square, and for overseeing the building of a new Weigh House, which finally opened in 1891. In 1901, feeling a sense of personal failure, he resigned his pastorate of the Weigh House. He then returned for a time to Shetland. In 1904, he moved to Croydon, to become Minister of South Croydon Congregational Church, Aberdeen Road. He lived at 29 St Peters Road, South Croydon.

He retired from his ministry in June 1919, and the family moved in October to 'Lynnbank', 21 South Park Hill Road. He died on 15 November 1921.

Abraham B. Jayne

  • P011
  • Person
  • 1864

Abraham B. Jayne was a 'jobmaster', supplying carriages, horses and drivers for hire. His business was apparently established in 1864, although it is not clear where (he does not appear in the 1869 street directory covering Upper Norwood). By 1874, however, he was established in the Holly Bush Stables in Westow Street (at the back of the Holly Bush Hotel in Westow Hill). In about 1879, Jayne moved to the yards behind the White Hart and The Alma, important inns on opposite sides of Church Road. The business may afterwards have been reduced, as he appears in directories of 1882-1886 simply as a Fly Proprietor. He seems to have ceased trading in about 1886, and does not appear in directories after that date.

Eric Alfred Blake Pritchard

  • P107
  • Person
  • 1899 - 1962

Eric Arthur Blake Pritchard was born to Thomas Hobart Pritchard and his wife Minnie Alexandra. They lived at 142 Melfort Road, Thornton Heath and Eric attended Whitgift School. He was a conscientious objector in the First World War and worked for the Anglo- American Mission in France from February to November 1918.

St Peters Primary School

  • CB112
  • Corporate body
  • 1858

Founded as St Peters National Infants School in August 1858. Evacuated to Crowborough, Sussex, September 1939, later to Barnstaple. Became St Peters County Primary School in September 1951 and later St Peters Primary School.

Results 1 to 25 of 679