Showing 6 results

Record description
Miscellaneous Records Relating to St. James' Church, Croydon
Print preview View:

Miscellaneous Records Relating to St. James' Church, Croydon

  • AR158
  • Collection
  • 1923 - 1960

1) Attendance register, Kings Messengers (children), 1923-31 - gives home addresses and ages.

2) Church choir attendance register, 1938-53.

3) Correspondence relating to rebuilding of Church c Hall, 1944-60.

4) Estimate for building of Church Hall, May 1953.

5) Correspondence relating to Vicarage, 1957-63.

St. James' Church

St. Jamess Church, Croydon: Correspondence Concerning the New Vicarage

File containing correspondence and other items concerning the unsuitability of the existing vicarage in Tavistock Road (it was subsequently demolished in 1959), the acquisition of 23a Mulgrave Road as temporary accommodation and the proposal to acquire 239 Sydenham Road. This was one of the eight houses built in the area by W.H.Lascelles to his unusual design of using composite building materials. A report by a local surveyor cautioned against the acquisition of the property and the plan was not proceeded with. A new vicarage was eventually acquired on Oakfield Road.