Showing 54 results

Record description
Archbishop Tenison School
Print preview View:

Archbishop Tenison School: Records

  • SCH6
  • Collection
  • 1862 - 1983

The school was founded in North End in 1714 as a school for fourteen boys and fourteen girls by Thomas Tenison, Archbishop of Canterbury. For its endowment, Tenison purchased farmland at Limpsfield and he bequeathed £400 to be laid out in land for the enlargement of the Charity. In 1847, the school was rebuilt as separate girls and boys schools in Selsdon Road with adjacent houses for the Master and Mistress (Tenison Cottages, 1 and 2). The Infants and Junior Girls were transferred to other schools in August 1930 and the Girls school reopened in September 1930 as a Senior Girls school. At the same time, the Boys reopened as a Selective Central School and later became a Grammar School. The two schools amalgamated in September 1952 and in 1959 moved to a new building on Selborne Road.

Archbishop Tenison School

Archbishop Tenison's (CE) High School: log book

Girls 1933 - 1952 with a note recording the resignation of Miss Florence Laundon as Head of the Mixed School on 22 December 1953. She had previously been Head of the Girls School 1944 - 1952. The log book contains substantial details of the process of evacuation to Crowborough, Sussex in September 1939.\r\nBook includes photographs of various Founders Day services (1946 - 1952) and a visit to the House of Commons on 07 December 1949. The log book also includes examples of the material used to make school scarves before and after 1939.

Archbishop Tenison School

Results 1 to 25 of 54