Showing 724 results

Authority record

Hayes Primary School

  • CB051
  • Corporate body
  • 1957

Hayes Primary School opend in May 1957.

Mayday Road Hospital

  • CB052
  • Corporate body
  • 1923

Mayday Hospital was originally the Croydon Union Infirmary, run by Croydon Board of Guardians. The first Infirmary was situated in the old Workhouse at Duppas Hill, where it remained after the Workhouse itself moved to new buildings in 1865. The new Infirmary was renamed Mayday Road Hospital in 1923, but soon afterwards became known as Mayday Hospital. After the dissolution of Croydon Board of Guardians in 1930, it was administered by Croydon Corporation (under the Local Government Act 1929). In 1948 it was taken over by the National Health Service. St Marys Maternity Hospital, in St James Road, originally opened in 1918. It became closely associated with Mayday Hospital. It closed in October 1985.

Gresham Primary School

  • CB053
  • Corporate body
  • 1875 - 1969

Sanderstead National School was founded in 1872 (or earlier). Sanderstead Board School opened in a new building in 1876. Renamed Gresham Primary School c. 1965.

Haling Manor High School

  • CB054
  • Corporate body
  • 1930 - 1988

Haling Manor High School was formed on 01 September 1970 from Croydon Secondary Technical School and South Croydon Secondary School, using both exisiting sites (on Pampisford Road and Kendra Hall Road respectively). South Croydon Secondary School had been formed from Waddon Senior Mixed School in 1954.

Ecclesbourne Junior School

  • CB055
  • Corporate body
  • 1901

Ecclesbourne Road Boys and Girls Schools were opened in 1901. They took both Juniors and Seniors. In September 1930 the schools were reorganised: all the Juniors and Senior Boys were transferred to Whitehorse Manor and Elmwood (the Boys Log Books went to Whitehorse Manor.)

A Senior Girls School remained at Ecclesbourne (see under Ecclesbourne High School). In September 1976 a new Junior School was opened for boys and girls, it being housed in the adjoining Infant building until its own premises were ready for occupation.

Good Shepherd RC Primary School

  • CB058
  • Corporate body
  • 1955

When the New Addington estate was being developed, the Southwark Diocesan Schools Commission pressed for a site for a Roman Catholic School. Croydon Corporation demurred as there was already provision for sufficient school places. The priest, Father Howley, thereupon made it clear that he would oppose the proposed estate, at which the Corporation offered the choice of one of two sites for a four-classroom school (his requirement). The Ministry of Education would agree only to a seven-class (IFE) school. The plans were re-drawn, after which the Ministry changed its mind and agreed a four-class building; the Commission, however, claimed that re-design had gone too far and so an IFE Primary School was approved.

The situation is less complicated than at first appears. A combined JMI School was opened on 6 September 1955 under Mr Duffy who was succeeded by Mr Scanlan. In September 1970 the two departments became separate schools, the Junior continuing under Mr Scanlan and the Infant School having, at its first Headmistress, Sister Mary Pauline. In August 1979 Mr Scanlan ceased to be Headmaster and, during Academic Year 1979-80, both schools were under Sister Mary Pauline. When they were combined on 1 September 1980, she remained as Headmistress.

Gilbert Scott School

  • CB059
  • Corporate body
  • 1950

Addington National (later Addington Village and then later still St Marys, Addington) School which stood at the foot of Spout Hill on the east side, was open by 1868, and may have commenced in 1844. On 30 January 1950 it was closed (and demolished) and the staff and children were transferred to the new Gilbert Scott Infant School, and to Wolsey Infant School, and the recently opened Gilbert Scott Junior School. The Headmistress of the Village School became the first Head of Gilbert Scott Infants. The Infant and Junior Schools were combined in September 2007.

There had also, between 1874 and 1908, been an Addington Hills Infant School (the building, converted to private residence, still stands just south of the Sandrock Public House). This school had only one Headmistress throughout its existence; her log books, despite (or on account of) her illiteracy, are a joy to read.

For further details of these two Addington schools see under ST MARYS ADDINGTON (CE) SCHOOL.

Applegarth Infant School

  • CB060
  • Corporate body
  • 1967 - 2007

Applegarth Infant School opened in January 1967, followed by an official opening on 12 October 1967.

Forestdale Primary School

  • CB061
  • Corporate body
  • 1970

Forestdale Primary School commenced on 9 April 1970. It is a co-educational Community Primary School maintained by Croydon Council and caters for children aged between 4 and 11 years. In addition there is an independent Nursery, Breakfast, Afterschool and Holiday Club.

Fieldway Primary School

  • CB062
  • Corporate body
  • 1969 - 1989

Opened 1 January 1969. Closed 31 August 1982.

Elmwood Junior School

  • CB063
  • Corporate body
  • 1930

Princess Road Boys, Girls and Infants Schools opened in mid-August 1871. A separate Junior Mixed existed 1874 (or earlier) to 1892. The school was renamed North Park in 1922. This school closed and reopened in new premises as separate Elmwood Junior Boys and Elmwood Junior Girls schools in 1930. The two schools were amalgamated to become Junior Mixed on 1 September 1971.

Elmwood Hall School

  • CB064
  • Corporate body
  • 1916

Founded May 1916. Closed 1920.

Emwood Infant School

  • CB065
  • Corporate body
  • 1930

Founded probably 1892. In 1892 Princess Road Junior School closed. This school may have accommodated infants. A separate infant school certainly existed by 1897 and it seems probable that it occupied the junior school premises from September 1892. In 1922 the school was renamed the North Park School. This school closed on 25 July 1930 and reopened in new premises as Elmwood Infant School on 8 September 1930.

Edenham High School

  • CB066
  • Corporate body
  • 1977

The school opened September 1977 as an 11-16 Comprehensive. It became Grant Maintained on 1 April 1993 and so ceased to be the responsibility of the LEA until 1999 when it became a Foundation School.

Fairfield (Croydon) Ltd

  • CB067
  • Corporate body
  • 1993-2016

Fairfield (Croydon) Ltd, a self-financing charity with a board of trustees, ran Fairfield Halls from 1993-2016. It went into administration in July 2016 when the venue was closed by Croydon Council to undertake a major refurbishment.

All Saints Junior School

  • CB068
  • Corporate body
  • 1838

Founded circa 1834, perhaps as a dame school or as a school attached to All Saints Chapel. Made a Church of England school by trust deed, dated 1849. Enlarged and became a National School in 1864. Infants school founded probably 1838; Girls school founded probably 1838; Boys school founded probably 1838; National school opened Jan 1866; Girls and Infants schools amalgamated 1 January 1905; Girls and Infants and Boys schools amalgamated 1 September 1924 to become Junior Mixed [Boys and Girls] and Infants: became known as the Academy on the Hill, recruiting only graduates and enjoying a considerable reputation; school lost aided status in 1953 and became a controlled school; reorganised as separate infants and junior schools, 1 September 1967; old junior school buildings demolished 1971. From 1967 - 2005 the Infants and Juniors were separate schools.

All Saints Infant School and All Saints CE Junior School federated in October 2005 with one Headteacher and one Governing Body. The schools federated because the Infants is a Community School and the Juniors is a Church of England (Voluntary Controlled) School.

In September 2008 the school became a joint building with one main entrance, administrative office and staffroom.

Duppas Junior School

  • CB069
  • Corporate body
  • 1933

Founded 1933. On 01 September 1953, Duppas and Waddon Schools were both reorganised. Thereafter Duppas School took the Juniors from the entire Waddon Estate and Waddon School rook all the Infants.

St Georges, Waddon was a temporary school which existed in the Church Hall of St. Georges Church in Waddon and which the Education Committee hired for the purpose.

It first opened in April 1933 as a temporary measure until September 1934 when the children were sent either to the newly opened Duppas School or to the newly reorganised Waddon School according to where they lived.

However pressure of numbers on both these schools, due to the expanding Waddon Estate, led to the St Georges Church Hall being hired again as a temporary school and reopening on 07 January 1935. Although again initially planned as a temporary measure for one year, it remained in use until it was evacuated in September 1939. In January 1937, for example, there were 107 children on the roll.

Of course the expected air raids did not occur immediately and many children returned to Croydon. On 01 April 1940, the school was reopened for optional attendance, seventy nine children being admitted, and for compulsory attendance on the 15th April when 102 were admitted. However following the Dunkirk evacuation and the advent of the Blitz, more and more children were evacuated or not attending to the point that there were only 12 children on the roll by 30 September 1940. At this point the school was finally closed and the remaining children transferred to Duppas.

Davidson High School

  • CB071
  • Corporate body
  • 1907

Opened 28 October 1907 as separate Boys, Girls and Infants schools. (See SCH34 for records of Davidson Infants School). On 7 September 1931, the schools were reorganised as Senior Boys, Senior Girls and Junior Girls and Infants. Junior boys ceased to attend. On 4 September 1956, the Senior Boys and Senior Girls schools were reorganised as a mixed school. Became comprehensive 7 September 1972. Closed 31 August 1982.

David Livingstone Primary School

  • CB072
  • Corporate body
  • 1905

Opened 2 May 1905 as an infants school in Ingram Road, but with other, separate boys and girls schools on the same site. The school was known as Ingram Road and from 1922, Ingram School. In April 1961, first year juniors were admitted and the school became a Junior Mixed [Boys and Girls] and Infants. In September 1961 it moved into new premises and in November 1961 was renamed.

Cypress Junior School

  • CB073
  • Corporate body
  • 1933

Cypress Junior Mixed and Infant School was opened on 4 September 1933 in a Methodist Church Hall as South Norwood Temporary School.

The School was transferred to a new permanent building on 6 April 1937.

On 31 August 1954 the Infant Department became a separate school on a different site.

Cyrpess Infant School

  • CB074
  • Corporate body
  • 1933

Cypress Junior Mixed and Infant School was opened on 4 September 1933 in a Methodist Church Hall as South Norwood Temporary School (see records of Cypress Junior School at SCH32).

The School was transferred to a new permanent building on 6 April 1937.

On 31 August 1954 the Infant Department became a separate school on a different site.

In 2010, the Infant and Junior School federated under one Headteacher.

All Saints Infant School

  • CB075
  • Corporate body
  • 1967

All Saints Infant School was opened on 1 September 1967. The Infant School, unlike the Junior School is not a Church of England Voluntary Controlled School. In October 2005, the Infant School and CE Junior School were federated under one head and, from 2008, in one building.

Results 51 to 75 of 724