Showing 723 results

Authority record

Castle Hill Primary School

  • CB082
  • Corporate body
  • 1955

Castle Hill Infant School opened on 19 April 1955; Castle Hill Junior School nearby on 7 September 1955. The two schools were amalgamated in August 1992 under the then junior head teacher.

Chadderton Family

  • F006
  • Family
  • 1884

Jessie (b. 1884) and Dora Chadderton (b. 1890) were born in Lancashire and later moved to London. The sisters lived with their uncle Albert and Aunt Martha in Camberwell. Jessie at 17 was already in teacher training. Both girls lived and worked in the Camberwell area (as the photographs illustrate). In 1927 Albert moved to Croydon, 28 Tunstall Road. Jessie by this time was married to Mr Percy Wood. There is no record that Dora married. Also there are records that Jessie did work in the Croydon area.

Charlotte Emily Mortimer

  • P050
  • Person
  • 1867 - 1937

Charlotte Emily Mortimer (born 1867; known as Emily) was a teacher at the Princess Road Board School. She married Harry Marchant in 1896 and had a daughter, Constance Elsie.
She died in 1937.

Christ Church C of E Primary School

  • CB080
  • Corporate body
  • 1935

The school was originally Riddlesdown School, described as the National School for Kenley and Caterham Junction District and situated on the triangle of land between Godstone and Downs Court Roads. On 14 August 1888, the Charity Commissioners agreed the sale of the school and the purchase money was used to erect Purley National Mixed Schools on a different site in Purley High Street. In August 1889, the school moved into its new premises and the Infants and Juniors were separated. The school was renamed Purley National.

The Infants and Juniors from Riddlesdown School were transferred to the new building on 19 August 1889. When the first Headmistress of the Infants, Miss E.A.Bishop, retired 43 years later, the Infants and Juniors were combined on the same site to form Purley Church of England Junior Mixed and Infant School. This was renamed Christ Church (CE) School in 1935.

In 1962 the High Street Purley building was abandoned and the school moved to its present premises.

Christ Church School

  • CB030
  • Corporate body
  • 1863 - 1958

Founded 1857. By 25 March 1863 there was an infants school; by 27 March 1863, a boys school and 20 April 1863 a girls school. The schools were taken over by the Education Committee, 1 October 1903. On 1 April 1923, the schools were reorganised. After that date the juniors and infants were combined, the senior girls formed a second school and the senior boys went to St Saviours. On 8 January 1934 the schools were again reorganised, the juniors and infants remaining as one school and the senior girls going elsewhere. The school closed in July 1958 because of lack of money for necessary repairs.

Coombe Farm

  • CB220
  • Corporate body
  • c. 1957 - 1992


  • CB010
  • Corporate body
  • 1922 - 1945

The jurisdiction of the Coroner for the County Borough of Croydon lasted from 1883 to 1965 (initially as the Borough of Croydon, 1883 - 1889). Before 1883, Croydon came under the jurisdiction of the Coroner for Surrey until 1825 and for the Eastern Division of Surrey 1825 - 1883.

Since 1965, Croydon has fallen under the jurisdiction of HM Coroner for the Southern District of Greater London which covers the London Boroughs of Croydon, Sutton, Bromley and Bexley and is based at the Coroners Court, Barclay Road, Croydon, CR0 1JN.

Coulsdon CofE Primary School

  • CB077
  • Corporate body
  • 1846

By 1834 there was a school held in a cottage and supported entirely by the Rector, the Reverend William Wood of St. John the Evangelist in Old Coulsdon. He applied for a grant on 25 March in that year towards it becoming a National School. In 1845, Thomas Byron III, the Lord of the Manor, gave a parcel of land being part of a garden as a site for a school for poor persons and for the residence of Schoolmaster or Schoolmistress133and for no other purpose whatever. But the Mistress, Ann Webb, continued to live in a nearby cottage, the schoolhouse being occupied by William G. Shepard, a schoolmaster who was only 18 at the time of the 1851 census.

By 1846 there was a National School of 80 mixed pupils, with a master and mistress in two rooms. The school was described as a School of Industry and the master received 1d per week per boy and 3 hours gratuitous labour each afternoon on his land in return for instruction in the morning. It was the only school in the area, meaning that some of the children had to walk for miles to get there, even as far as Hooley and Kenly.

The building and site were privately owned and remained so until October 1923 when they were conveyed to the Rector by a Canon Dickson who had acquired them from the Lord of the Manor. This was probably not the same building or site as that of 1845, an exchange of site being affected by the Lord of the Manor in 1888 and a new building then being erected thereon.

On 19 September 1939 the school transferred to the Keston School buildings and remained there 7 January 1946 with the exception of the period 3 June to the 23 August 1940, when the school was briefly based at the Purley Girls School.

Coulsdon Nursery School

  • CB078
  • Corporate body
  • 1946

The school commenced on 4 April 1933 as a Day Nursery and on 1 July 1946 as a Nursery School. The initial premises was a private bungalow in Woodman Road. It was founded by Mrs Finn who had advanced ideas on nursery education. Later, a bungalow, Greenacres, was built in Linden Avenue and the Nursery was built in its garden; the Nursery staff slept in the bungalow.

The school came under the Authority of the London Borough of Croydon in 1964.

A Trust was established in 1953 by the Charity Commission Scheme, for the Regulation of a charity to be known as the Coulsdon and District Day Nursery.

The school has shared a governing body with Chipstead Valley Primary School.

Results 101 to 125 of 723